1200 cal per day challenge!

1235»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    joslaugh06 wrote: »
    In all honesty you have to go with raw (fruits and veggies) and stay very active (busy) all day. In my experience increasing daily activity and reducing high carbs and sugars intake is a more successful approach than 1200 "bad" calories per day.

Either way good on you for taking the initial step! Stay with it and you will succeed.
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    krithsai wrote: »
    Hi people! I am currently on a 1200 calorie per day diet, however I am starting to loose motivation :s I am thinking that if I can get a forum started for people who want to do this with me then maybe we can challenge and inspire one another. I am 5,7 current weight is 218 (I have just give birth to twins 10 weeks ago). I want to loose at least 60 lbs. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks by consuming 1200 calories per day. Anyone interested....nothing wrong with a bit of health competition is there

You're losing motivation because you're seriously under-nourished. If you're breastfeeding your twins, you really need to be eating at maintenance + 200-300 at the least. I have consistently noticed a dip in supply if I go below 1500. Even if you're not breastfeeding, think of all the muscle you're losing with such a low caloric intake.

Agreed. I nursed my second baby for a year, and if I went below 1600 calories, my supply suffered terribly. I was stubborn and did not want to supplement (especially after I fought so hard to BF my first baby but ended up FFing), so it was eat, nurse, and stay pudgy, or cut calories and lose weight but not nurse.
  • RBXChas
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Just dropping this in here

op EAT MORE - you are depriving your children of vital nutrients as well as yourself.

^THIS.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    This is where I got my information from.....

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a3565/diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mum

Do I need extra calories when I am breastfeeding?
    You don't need to have extra calories as a new mum, because your body is so efficient at producing milk. Be guided by your appetite, and eat when you're hungry. Your body may have laid down fat stores during pregnancy, and breastfeeding can help to use up these fat stores.

he amount you need to eat depends on your pre-pregnancy weight, and how much weight you gained during pregnancy, as well as how active you are.

Having said that, breastfeeding usually gives you a big appetite. So if you don't feel like eating, it could be a sign that you need extra emotional support. Women who have postnatal depression sometimes lose their appetite. If you're finding it a struggle to eat, talk to your doctor or health visitor.

Well there you go. The last paragraph of your own research sounds pretty important to me. When I was nursing my baby, even in the beginning, I was always hungry...like ravenous. And thirsty. Yes breastfeeding helps to get rid of some of the fat from pregnancy, but that's in addition to using up the extra calories. Maybe you should talk to your OB before you go any further with this diet
  • RBXChas
    I eat 1200 calories + half of exercise calories because I have a sedentary job. WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU NURSING MOMS DOING ON 1200 CALORIES?????? And how bad do your nails and hair look?

Your challenge is not appropriate for your lifestyle. Go ahead and eat 1200 calories a day when you're not feeding your little ones. But that's not just new-mom exhaustion you're feeling.

Eat more. The weight will come off without the nasty side-effects of malnutrition.

TO ALL MENTIONING BREASTFEEDING MY TWINS I AM OF COURSE NOT BREASTFEEDING AS THEY SPENT TOO MUCH TIME IN NEONATAL TO GET USED TO LATCHING ON. SO PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO MY DIET TYPE IN RELATION TO BREADTFEEDING BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR ME.

Please stop yelling. The BFing stuff may or may not have been directed at you. Others in here mentioned BFing, including BFing on 1200 calories, and one mention of no need to eat more to support a milk supply.

Also, I went from 236 to 154 at 5'7" after my first baby eating 1200 calories/day. I was obsessive about it but miserable until I increased my calories to 1400 (and more on workout days). I didn't lose while nursing baby #2, and I nursed for a year. After that I was really on and off. But I'm 183 now (still 5'7", hehe) and losing at a decent clip while eating 1600/day and eating back half of my exercise calories (per my HRM).

Just my experience that 1200 was miserable and not sustainable in the long term. Your losses will be faster but harder to keep off at 1200. Please check out the sexypants link above!
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Doze twin babus' be nature's liposuction. You done need MOAR to eat, nun this 1200 calorie jibbajabba. Enjoy this time in yer life, take care of babus', be well be safe and EAT!

BAhaha I think I just fell in love!!! (and got a really strong urge to watch one of dem dare gater shows lol)
  • krithsai wrote: »
    Hi people! I am currently on a 1200 calorie per day diet, however I am starting to loose motivation :s I am thinking that if I can get a forum started for people who want to do this with me then maybe we can challenge and inspire one another. I am 5,7 current weight is 218 (I have just give birth to twins 10 weeks ago). I want to loose at least 60 lbs. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks by consuming 1200 calories per day. Anyone interested....nothing wrong with a bit of health competition is there

You're losing motivation because you're seriously under-nourished. If you're breastfeeding your twins, you really need to be eating at maintenance + 200-300 at the least. I have consistently noticed a dip in supply if I go below 1500. Even if you're not breastfeeding, think of all the muscle you're losing with such a low caloric intake.

TO ALL MENTIONING BREASTFEEDING MY TWINS I AM OF COURSE NOT BREASTFEEDING AS THEY SPENT TOO MUCH TIME IN NEONATAL TO GET USED TO LATCHING ON. SO PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO MY DIET TYPE IN RELATION TO BREADTFEEDING BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR ME.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
  • RBXChas

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

I love lamp.

• msnastassia
    1200 calories a day is way too low for your height and weight. You are operating on starvation mode.
    You can not stay on 1200 calories forever especially if you are active. Your body now is storing fat, as soon as you increase your calories you body going to ask for more. And it will be hard to maintain let lane to lose.
    Increase your calories intake gradually, log your food. You are going to lose faster and healthier and the LB will not come back. It will be much easier to maintain once you get down to your goal.