Thought I'd picked a healthy breakfast option ...

Fage - Total 0% Fat Greek Yogurt With Honey, 1 container (170g)
- Wrong
- 32g of SUGAR !!! 184 calories !!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Eh, that yogurt is a good protein source. But I prefer the 2% variety.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    what is wrong with that?

sugar is not bad for you and does not need to be avoided unless you have a medical condition ….

I eat 100+ grams of sugar a day and have had no issues with overall health, losing weight, etc…

Eat the foods that you like in moderation and make sure you hit your calorie goal. That is the most important factor in weight loss. Over context of your diet and dosage is what matters, not individual food choice….
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    So you bought the one with honey in it and are surprised there is sugar?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    What's wrong with it?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    I look at the labels, and you can be surprised at the amount of carbs in one container. I try to find yogurt with less than 10 carbs. Full fat plain Greek yogurt has 9 carbs. Chobani is 13 carbs. One time, I enjoyed a healthy, Siggis yogurt....blew my carbs for the day!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Buy the plain Fage, and then put in your own fruit, jam, whatever
    . That's what I do. By the by, I also now buy 2%, and I like it alot more. B)
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    In to echo others, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with what you had, how is a less than 200 calorie breakfast bad for you and I wouldn't worry too much about sugar, unless medical or you are waaay over doing it (7 cans of coke a day type of overdoing it).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I eat Noosa every day and never checked the carbs until right now. 31 g of deliciousness.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Sounds fine to me
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited February 2015
    As other's why's that unhealthy? I'd be more concerned about only 184 calories that's more like a snack not breakfast
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited February 2015
    jemhh wrote: »
    I eat Noosa every day and never checked the carbs until right now. 31 g of deliciousness.

That Noosa stuff is great! I wish it had more protein, but there's something so different about the taste that I really enjoy.

Also, 2% Greek yogurt for the win. Nothing wrong with some sugar or 184 calories. Also, a 184-calorie breakfast sounds pretty low. I'd be starving by 9AM. Hopefully there are mid-morning snacks in store!

OP, if you're worried about getting the most bang for your buck, try eggs for breakfast, if you can stomach them. I hard-boil 20 eggs (well, I do Alton Brown's oven version that is basically "set it and forget it" with no clean-up) every Sunday so that my husband and I can have two each morning during the work week. He nukes four slices of turkey bacon (two for each of us) each morning while I get the kids dressed and downstairs, and voila! A delicious, filling breakfast for:

220cal
    0g carbs (not that I'm into watching carbs, but if you care, that's what it is)
    15g fat
    20g protein

Add in my coffee with a little half and half and a little sugar, and my breakfast becomes:

255cal
    4g carbs
    17g fat
    21g protein

That half and half adds just a bit of delicious, filling fat and protein :)

I eat breakfast at about 6:15 each morning, and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't even occur to me that lunchtime is approaching until at least 11:30. (That 1 out of 10 is usually due to TOM.)

Hopefully that's helpful to you. If you don't want to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, that's cool, too. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • I think Becky is just a little surprised at the amount in what we perceive as a healthy choice. (am I right?)...... I find that usually products (especially things like this) that are labelled low fat, are high in sugar content to compensate. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    So you bought the one with honey in it and are surprised there is sugar?

this
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    If that is all you are eating for breakfast then it's not "healthy". You should be getting closer to 350 calories for a meal. The amount of sugar shouldn't concern you unless you are diabetic and then only if it caused your glucose to spike. Think about your whole day, what other sources of sugar are you consuming throughout the day. If that is all or most of what you get, it's not a bad deal. People have got to stop villianizing (is that a word?) certain foods. In the overall scheme of things I would much rather consume sugar, honey, or other natural forms of sugar than the chemicals that are in artificial sweeteners.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    If that is all you are eating for breakfast then it's not "healthy". You should be getting closer to 350 calories for a meal. The amount of sugar shouldn't concern you unless you are diabetic and then only if it caused your glucose to spike. Think about your whole day, what other sources of sugar are you consuming throughout the day. If that is all or most of what you get, it's not a bad deal. People have got to stop villianizing (is that a word?) certain foods. In the overall scheme of things I would much rather consume sugar, honey, or other natural forms of sugar than the chemicals that are in artificial sweeteners.

THIS!

vilifying is the word just fyi :smiley:

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You should be getting closer to 350 calories for a meal.

what?! no!

how can you give a number of calories that a meal should be when you know nothing about the OPs eating patterns or calorie goal?

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited February 2015
    32 grams of sugar is kind of a lot for only 180 calories. That means your breakfast is mostly just sugar. A high sugar breakfast can make some people (not everyone) become hungry again quickly. There are other yogurt options that have the same amount of protein, still taste good, and yet have almost half the sugar and calories.

OP, if you want relatively more healthy yogurt try Siggi's. It has more protein than sugar.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member

While it's true that the media has done a big disservice by overly villifying (yeah, I don't know how to spell that either!) certain foods, that doesn't mean there aren't any drawbacks to foods that have 2/3 of their calories coming from added sugar. At the very least you shouldn't choose such a food because you think it's "healthy."

There is no need to get a specific amount of calories for breakfast. Many people skip breakfast altogether and do just fine.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Um...

Fat=/=sugar