What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Crea77 wrote: »
    Alive Multivitamin
    Biotin
    Fish oil
    Evening Primrose
    Spirulina
    Vitamin D
    Glucosamine with MSM
    Coconut oil (in moderation)
    Flax oil (in moderation)
    Pre workout on lifting days Cellucor C4 Extreme (pink lemonade)
    Natural Gold Standard Whey (chocolate)

What is the coconut oil for? ( I am clueless when it comes to certain supps). I only take a protein powder if I am having a hard time hitting my macro for the day.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin and an Omega-3 supplement.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what coconut oil is for also. And @ryanbrowning115‌ how long have you taken Liporidex? I have heard about that brand before but have not personally used it. I just started using c4 as my pre workout. They have a bunch of different flavors.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Alive Multivitamin
    Biotin
    Fish oil
    Evening Primrose
    Spirulina
    Vitamin D
    Glucosamine with MSM
    Flax oil (in moderation)

What is the coconut oil for? ( I am clueless when it comes to certain supps). I only take a protein powder if I am having a hard time hitting my macro for the day.

For me it is like a fat supplement to help feel full.

1TBsp coconut oil+1 serving protein powder+coffee blended up is a good breakfast replacement.
    It might also help if taken with a multivitamin since some micro nutrients (A,D,E,K) are fat soluble and supposedly wont digest properly without a fat source.

Generally through I consider macro 'supplements' just as a food.

Daily I try to take:
    Multivitamin
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin/D3
    Fish oil

Occasionally I will also add
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    B3
  • enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love Body Nutrition products. Great company and products. I currently take Trutein & Magic Pudding for my protein goals and Mad Dog as my pre workout.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thrive Womens (multivitamin & probiotic)
    Thrive lifestyle mix (protein shake)
    Boost greens drink
    Quest bars as a snack sometimes.
    Whey protein post weightlifting
    And occasionally a magnesium and potassium supplement if I feel like I'm not getting enough in my diet.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    women's active multivitamin
    fish oil
    magnesium
    B12
    calcium plus vitamin D
    protein powder
    BCAAs
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Multi and fish oil when I remember. I'm only taking the multi because I'm trying to find my IBS triggers, so lately my diet is weird and not always as balanced as I'd like.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein maybe vitamins from time to time.
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I take Fish Oil 1 600 mg with each meal during the day. I do protein as well when I don't get enough in my regular diet during the day. I know I need to add a multi vitamin. I am on a few different prescribed meds for asthma and allergies as well as an anti inflammatory pain med and metformin for PCOS and insulin resistance. I hate taking so many pills and it bugs me to think about adding more. Honestly I worry about interactions between my meds and supplements.

On a good note, since losing weight my asthma has improved some what. I don't have to take my pain meds every day anymore. I have had some pretty bad leg injuries in the past, and it hurt to literally walk. Losing the weight lightened the load on my bad leg and knee.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    activgrl wrote: »
    I highly recommend that no matter what your fitness goals are, take a BCAA supplement!!!! Helps with fat loss, muscle mass retention, and soreness. Very important especially is you're cutting calories.

lol... if you believe a BCAA helps with fat loss, go to GNC and buy some Hydroxycut. Beef, chicken, eggs, and even peanuts contain BCAA's.... do you see it advertised outside the pack 'BUY ME TO DROP FAT' .... no.... you don't.

You don't need whey protein powder either. Whey is nothing more than a means to hit your daily protein goal, nothing more, period.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin, fish oil, and Vitamin D drops. Food for protein, mostly. Whey powder sometimes to fill the gaps, but no post-workout/pre-workout whatever timing for things. Just when I need to hit my protein, it's not a magical thing, IMO.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i take a prenatal, a super B and a vitamin D every day
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    oh okay and greek yogurt and wheat grass juice and ibuprofen as needed lol
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    SciranBG wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Alive Multivitamin
    Biotin
    Fish oil
    Evening Primrose
    Spirulina
    Vitamin D
    Glucosamine with MSM
    Flax oil (in moderation)

For me it is like a fat supplement to help feel full.

1TBsp coconut oil+1 serving protein powder+coffee blended up is a good breakfast replacement.
    It might also help if taken with a multivitamin since some micro nutrients (A,D,E,K) are fat soluble and supposedly wont digest properly without a fat source.

Generally through I consider macro 'supplements' just as a food.

Daily I try to take:
    Multivitamin
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin/D3
    Fish oil

Occasionally I will also add
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    B3

Thanks for the tip about coconut oil, I will have to try that. @mandykent I just started taking Liporidex and love it so far. I was struggling with my energy levels and not making it to the gym after work because I was so tired. Now I have much more energy and am actually trying to go to the gym in the morning this week to try something new. It also helps me feel fuller much sooner. Foods that I once devoured I am now not even getting half way done with, so it has helped me take control of my diet and eat what I want and when I want.

I agree with @martyqueen you really only need whey if you are using it as a meal replacement or trying to hit your protein goal for the day.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm on this stuff called food...
  • Nepq
    Nepq Posts: 10 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Multivitamin, Omega 3/Fish oil, magnesium citrate.
    Whey (blend) protein in the morning, whey isolate + dextrose post-workout, casein protein before I go to bed.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @ryanbrowning115 so after doing more research I just went ahead and ordered Liporidex Max on Amazon. If you said it helps with energy then I'm taking your word for it. Can't wait to start it in the next couple days. Anyone else ever try any of their products before? Also, which protein powder does everyone recommend?? I can't find one that isn't crazy expensive and tastes good. Thanks
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @mandykent111 I use the protein powder from Trader Joe's and I like it, plus it's not expensive. I haven't used any liporidex products before, but seems like it could be helpful for me for more energy and to help me with my crazy snacking! Let me know how it goes.
  • enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For protein: Trutein (Tri-blend of whey/casein/egg white) but since you're vegetarian I'd suggest you try Gardenia. It's hardcore vegan. Preworkout. There are so many but ones that have worked best with me have been Mad Dog, Pre JYM, & Scream.