What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Replies

• Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    gotta say, i just added quest nutrition protein milkshakes to my post workout. The flavor is incredible. I cant believe that its only 1 g of sugar. The shakes really filly me up - feels like I just drank a 1200cal milkshake from DQ. I combine this my Liporidex app suppressants and I don't think about eating for pretty much the next ten hours. Of course I have 3-4 meals (high protein, 400 cals) during this time.

I know that people seem to love to hate on supps sometimes, but I cannot stress how much easier sticking to my diet has been by using a high quality protein shake and appetite suppressant.

Oh yeah, I still cant believe that quest milkshake is < 1G of sugar! WAT???

I am right there with you. I just tried the chocolate milkshake protein from Quest the other day and it seems like it should be a crime. I have a sweet tooth and this has definitely helped me crave the sweets because I get my sweet tooth fix with the shake. Which flavor do you like? I have only had the chocolate so far but plan on purchasing more on Amazon soon.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Source Naturals Men's Multi, Source Naturals D3, Source Naturals Magnesium, Pharmaceutical grade fish oil, ORAC Energy Green drink, sometimes Jarrow Natural Protein mixed with unsweetened almond milk.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Fish oil and protein powder is pretty much it. I take a multivitamin pack if my diet is lacking, but not regularly.

• Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    I usually only take a multivitamin daily. I'll drink a protein shake or eat a protein bar every now and then if I need it.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Vitamin D because I am severely deficient, (blood tested). Everything else I get from food that I eat ( or coffee that I drink) because I like it. I suppose you could say my asthma meds are a preworkout that I take so I don't die
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Holy crap, quest makes milk shakes!!!!!! How did i not know about this.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Multi, Zinc 50 mg, Potassium 50 mg, and 3000 IU D3 because I live in the fog and work night shift.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I take a Super B Complex, Fish Oil, Iron, and have recently added some whey protein powder to my diet daily.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Holy crap, quest makes milk shakes!!!!!! How did i not know about this.

You HAVE to try it.....addicting! I am getting to know the delivery guy very well these days.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Bee pollen
    Probiotics
    Fish oil
    Chia seed oil
    Magnesium
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Standard multi vitamin in the morning, C4 typically for my pre workout, but I haven't used it in a few weeks. I am looking for a good supplement that I can use as a pre workout if I want and something to help me lose some weight. Does this exist?? I went to a supplement store the other day and there were too many choices and the guy was certainly trying to sell me on speicfic products, I am not interested in that. So some suggestions would be great.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    I just eat food, but I'm probably doing it wrong. I do take a D3 pill sometimes -- I've tested pretty low, so aside from eating lots of D-rich foods I take the supplement for a few weeks if I start to notice symptom creep (depression, fatigue, aches).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Vitamin D (I'm otherwise deficient, I get my blood tested) iron (again, doc's orders), biotin to help fix my hair and skin... doc said 3,000 mcg is good, whey protein to help me lift, astragalus root (that's my hippie ish, not something the doctor cares about lol) and um.... what am I forgetting? oh. the omega 3 fish oil and the magnesium. the MG gets rid of my restless leg syndrome and helps my muscles recover after working out. That's a lot of expensive crap, amirite? lol... but it really does help me. I also have a long list of RX including statins because my liver is a cholesterol machine. I eat semi restrictively by a plan the doctor gave me to manage the prediabetes and the cholesterol levels. It does work, even if sometimes it is frustrating. yay for getting older? lol
  • gothchiq
    edited April 2015
    P.S. Milk thistle is something I use as needed, as in, if I drink booze, I take milk thistle that day and the next day. It makes me feel better even if I overdid it. That, plus also a nutritious snack while still drunk. secret to success lol.

One more thing! Want to take iron? Make sure it is ferrous gluconate because your body takes it up better AND it won't clog up your intestinal tract.
  • gothchiq
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Kirkland multi vitamin/multi mineral: just because
    5000 IU Vitamin D: I get SAD and I also need it for anemia
    325 mg iron: Dr. prescribed for anemia
    1250 mcg B 12: also to help with anemia
    1000 mg MSM: for the joints (helps with hair and nails too)

I also have a scoop of Body Fortress protein powder daily, usually either vanilla or chocolate. I don't care for the fancy flavors.

What happened? It gave you a frowny face in place of the vitamin! Vitamin D, is that it? 'cause that's my dosage.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited April 2015
    Multi, fish oil, biotin, cinnamon, b12, benefiber in my coffee every morning.

An all natural pre-workout energy supplement before my intense workouts.

A protein shake every other day or so when I need it. I throw some chia seeds in there.

I try to eat a lot of veggies, but there are days I can't get them all in. I like to think these supplements do just that, supplement and not replace. On a side note I'm rarely sick...once every two years maybe...I think it all helps!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    As an aside, our provincial health care system stopped paying for most vitamin D testing this year, as two thirds of Canadians are deficient anyways.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/statscan-finds-widespread-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-canadians/article596998/
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    I drink cat pee. Helps me land on my feet.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Must all protein powders taste terrible? I have tried mixing with water, almond milk, regular milk and still tastes bad. Any recommendations on a protein powder. I am tired of wasting all my money on junk.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Must all protein powders taste terrible? I have tried mixing with water, almond milk, regular milk and still tastes bad. Any recommendations on a protein powder. I am tired of wasting all my money on junk.

Mandy I've heard optimum nutrition and quest protein powders taste delicious.