What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Supplements are great if you're deficient in a certain area...otherwise completely unnecessary. I personally think pre and post workout supplements are a waste of $$$...you can do just as well eating actual food. I use whey to help me hit my protein goals and I take vitamin D because I'm deficient (even with plenty of time outside). I take a multi-vitamin to cover my bases.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Nepq wrote: »
    Multivitamin, Omega 3/Fish oil, magnesium citrate.
    Whey (blend) protein in the morning, whey isolate + dextrose post-workout, casein protein before I go to bed.

Bro science is strong with you
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Wellman Sport
    2 x Matcha Tea capsules
    2 x L-Glutamine tablets
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Biotin (crazy-weak nails, lots of hair loss over the past few years)
    Vitamin D (very low levels at last test, probably due to a desk job and indoor hobbies)
    Magnesium (told it would help prevent headaches)

I'm probably going to add a multivitamin soon. I'm generally fine on A and C, but I know I'm woefully shy on potassium, which is important if I'm ever going to get off beta blockers.
  • DrDeanChiro
    DrDeanChiro Posts: 4 Member
    Crea77 wrote: »
    I know...I take a probiotic too. I think to myself sometimes...is this all too hard on my liver and kidneys? Or does the health benefits out way that?

Not if you train consistently and push yourself...if you are a regular sedentary person the kidneys and body gets overworked...different for someone who trains or an athlete.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Supplements are great if you have hit a plateau and need that extra help, but finding the right ones is key. Personally I can't workout without my pre-workout, I use Cellucor and so far so good. I notice a big difference when I workout without it. I am thinking about using a fat burner to help me cut down a little more. I will look at some of the ones listed here. I am always looking for a good recommendation.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Aright yesterday was day one with trying Liporidex Max and I like it so far. Yesterday I took 1 pill in the morning and one before lunch. Today I took two in the morning and plan on taking one more in a couple hours. I have noticed a nice increase in my energy than I normally have in the morning, but no jitters. I was still able to still drink my coffee and not feel all cracked out like I have in the past with other products. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks Ryan! I am still on the hun for a good protein powder though! :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I call humbug on the Liporidex. The energy you are getting is from caffeine.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    edited February 2015
    I currently take a multi-vitamin, 50,000uu of Vitamin D (I'm EXTREMELY deficient, according to the doctor), chromium picolinate (which I suspect is doing absolutely nothing), and an extra 600mg of calcium (since I don't drink milk and my family is prone to osteoporosis).
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I call humbug on the Liporidex. The energy you are getting is from caffeine.

I thought maybe that too, but it really doesn't have that much caffeine in it maybe 85mg per pill or so. That is really not that much compared to some of the other products I used to take in the past. Those would give me a big boost of energy and then I would crash later in the afternoon. Plus this is also helping me with my appetite, it's a win win.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Supplements are great if you're deficient in a certain area...otherwise completely unnecessary. I personally think pre and post workout supplements are a waste of $$$...you can do just as well eating actual food. I use whey to help me hit my protein goals and I take vitamin D because I'm deficient (even with plenty of time outside). I take a multi-vitamin to cover my bases.

Seriously that's what I was thinking. What happened to good ol' fashion food for nutritional needs?
  • Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    Good ol' fashioned food for nutrition used to work for me, but now I don't see the best results without taking a pre workout or even a fat burner along with my other daily vitamins. Sure I can still workout without it, but in order for me to get the results I am after, I prefer having a pre workout and when my diet needs to be in check I use a fat burner to help.
  • MsOhooly
    MsOhooly Posts: 6 Member
    I consume no supplements. But do have a protein shake before working out which is just dark chocolate zico, pb2 and vanilla whey protein powder. The other stuff is involved bcs, of course, protein powder tastes awful. Sometimes I will take biotin and niacin only bcs I have bottles that mysteriously appeared one day.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Zinc
    Pantothenic Acid
    Vitamin D3
    Vitamin B Complex
    Vitamin B6
    5-HTP
    MSM

Occasionally:
    Vitamin A
    Fish Oil
    Iron

I also have protein powder, but I don't consider that a supplement so much as an occasional meal replacement.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    kandeye wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Seriously that's what I was thinking. What happened to good ol' fashion food for nutritional needs?

Probably because you can get larger amounts of vitamins from supplements than from food. It's always good to cover your basics with good food, like you guys are saying, but sometimes you need larger amounts, which is where supplements come in handy.
  • Anadeusz1987
    Anadeusz1987 Posts: 31 Member
    Caffeine 200mg 2xday
    Whey protein isolate 50g/day
    Cod liver oil
    Liv52
    Bcaa (if I do cardiovascular )
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    Right now I am taking just a normal mulit vitamin, but I am looking for something to boost my metabolism. Any recommendations?
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Right now I am taking just a normal mulit vitamin, but I am looking for something to boost my metabolism. Any recommendations?

As I mentioned above, I was recently introduced to Liporidex Max from another user on this site, and so far I am loving my results. It's much easier for me to stick with my diet plan and I am not constantly thinking about food all day long. I usually would be thinking about my next meal while I was still eating...yes I know that is horrible. But food used to run my life. I needed something to help me stay on track. Although it has still been a very short amount of time, I do recommend you try it. I got mine on amazon, it was cheaper than the actual company's site http://www.amazon.com/Best-Weight-Loss-Supplements-Suppressants/dp/B002GFCCVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426032103&sr=1-1
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I take a prenatal vitamin, which is kind of ironic since I have absolutely NO intentions of ever getting pregnant again. (One kid is plenty enough for me, thank you.) I've been looking into protein powders, just to meet my protein goals, but I have no idea where to start with that lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

As I mentioned above, I was recently introduced to Liporidex Max from another user on this site, and so far I am loving my results. It's much easier for me to stick with my diet plan and I am not constantly thinking about food all day long. I usually would be thinking about my next meal while I was still eating...yes I know that is horrible. But food used to run my life. I needed something to help me stay on track. Although it has still been a very short amount of time, I do recommend you try it. I got mine on amazon, it was cheaper than the actual company's site http://www.amazon.com/Best-Weight-Loss-Supplements-Suppressants/dp/B002GFCCVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426032103&sr=1-1

No "weight loss" supplement actually improves metabolism. Most fat burners are caffeine based which burn a handful of calories at most because can cause heart problem. And generally appetite suppressants only work for a very short period of time. Like other medicines, they will become ineffective as your body will adjust. At this point, you should be evaluating your diet and figuring out why you are hungry after you eat (probably low on protein, fats and fiber or overly aggressive on your weight loss goals).