What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Whey protein.
    And an iron supplement. (I'm anemic)
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Fish oil
    Flax oil
    Borage oil
    Calcium+D
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin
    Prenatal multi (Not pregnant. Just feel better when I use prenatal vitamins)

Pre-workout, I normally have a Quest bar.

Post-workout, maybe some tuna or a protein shake. It kind of depends.

• mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Right now I am taking just a normal mulit vitamin, but I am looking for something to boost my metabolism. Any recommendations?

As I mentioned above, I was recently introduced to Liporidex Max from another user on this site, and so far I am loving my results. It's much easier for me to stick with my diet plan and I am not constantly thinking about food all day long. I usually would be thinking about my next meal while I was still eating...yes I know that is horrible. But food used to run my life. I needed something to help me stay on track. Although it has still been a very short amount of time, I do recommend you try it. I got mine on amazon, it was cheaper than the actual company's site http://www.amazon.com/Best-Weight-Loss-Supplements-Suppressants/dp/B002GFCCVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426032103&sr=1-1

No "weight loss" supplement actually improves metabolism. Most fat burners are caffeine based which burn a handful of calories at most because can cause heart problem. And generally appetite suppressants only work for a very short period of time. Like other medicines, they will become ineffective as your body will adjust. At this point, you should be evaluating your diet and figuring out why you are hungry after you eat (probably low on protein, fats and fiber or overly aggressive on your weight loss goals).

Thank you for the tips. I am definitely trying to eat more protein and fiber throughout the day. I started mixing up my meals and I am seeing a great difference. For me, I am taking Liporidex to jump start my plan and get me on the right track, and that is exactly what it has done so far. After doing research on the product and talking with a few people that use it also, (because I too was skeptical) there were many people that have had amazing success with it over long periods of time. I appreciate your comments about appetite suppressants, and I can't completely disagree with you. I do know there are many products out there that are extremely harmful or lose effectiveness. Now it's a little too soon for me to say that about this product, but all I can say is I am liking what it has helped me with in the short amount of time I have been using it.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Whey Isolate to hit my protein goals.
    Multi-vitamin
    Vit C
    Vit D (lab confirmed deficient)
    BCAAs during workout
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Right now I am taking just a normal mulit vitamin, but I am looking for something to boost my metabolism. Any recommendations?

As I mentioned above, I was recently introduced to Liporidex Max from another user on this site, and so far I am loving my results. It's much easier for me to stick with my diet plan and I am not constantly thinking about food all day long. I usually would be thinking about my next meal while I was still eating...yes I know that is horrible. But food used to run my life. I needed something to help me stay on track. Although it has still been a very short amount of time, I do recommend you try it. I got mine on amazon, it was cheaper than the actual company's site http://www.amazon.com/Best-Weight-Loss-Supplements-Suppressants/dp/B002GFCCVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426032103&sr=1-1

No "weight loss" supplement actually improves metabolism. Most fat burners are caffeine based which burn a handful of calories at most because can cause heart problem. And generally appetite suppressants only work for a very short period of time. Like other medicines, they will become ineffective as your body will adjust. At this point, you should be evaluating your diet and figuring out why you are hungry after you eat (probably low on protein, fats and fiber or overly aggressive on your weight loss goals).

Thank you for the tips. I am definitely trying to eat more protein and fiber throughout the day. I started mixing up my meals and I am seeing a great difference. For me, I am taking Liporidex to jump start my plan and get me on the right track, and that is exactly what it has done so far. After doing research on the product and talking with a few people that use it also, (because I too was skeptical) there were many people that have had amazing success with it over long periods of time. I appreciate your comments about appetite suppressants, and I can't completely disagree with you. I do know there are many products out there that are extremely harmful or lose effectiveness. Now it's a little too soon for me to say that about this product, but all I can say is I am liking what it has helped me with in the short amount of time I have been using it.

I never said appetite suppressants didn't work, I said they didn't work long term. Depending on the person, they might last a few weeks or a few months, but eventually they will stop working.

Liporidex is nothing but a placebo. If you look up all those ingredients, you will see how they are the butt of many jokes on fitness forums as they all have been proven to do nothing. In fact, 90% of the ingredients in those pills are promoted by Dr. Oz which should tell you something.

Whenever it comes to supplements, I highly suggest people read this article
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2015
    Pre workout, whey, and a multi.
  • Sarahsteed92
    Sarahsteed92 Posts: 26 Member
    I do my Shakeolgy protein every morning! Then do c4 from gnc for pre workout
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member

I never said appetite suppressants didn't work, I said they didn't work long term. Depending on the person, they might last a few weeks or a few months, but eventually they will stop working.

Liporidex is nothing but a placebo. If you look up all those ingredients, you will see how they are the butt of many jokes on fitness forums as they all have been proven to do nothing. In fact, 90% of the ingredients in those pills are promoted by Dr. Oz which should tell you something.

Whenever it comes to supplements, I highly suggest people read this article

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree :)

For me, it’s working as a great appetite suppressant and energy booster. As someone who has had hypothyroidism for 5 years, its been ever harder to lose weight, not to mention have the energy to work out effectively and maintain my home and family life. I’v been down the road before with supplements. The reason I even considered this one is the fact that they stress the importance of diet/exercise and make it clear they’re not suggesting the product is a magic bullet. Of course, before I started I showed it to my doctor as well, who felt it was not dangerous. She recently gave it her enforcement as a metabolism booster - as my t3/t4 ratio improved and my TSH levels were reduced. She actually wound up reducing my thyroid replacement commenting that my “fat burners seem to be increasing my metabolism”. Placebo effect? maybe, but I’ll take it as long as I can. I fully understand that the effects may/will fade away, but ultimately - it’s helped me transition my lifestyle into one that more accurately reflects my new found long term health & fitness goals.
  • KickinIt23
    KickinIt23 Posts: 24 Member
    I take a standard multi vitamin along with fish oil in the morning. I use Hydroxycut Elite as a pre or when I’m cutting.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Post work-out: ham and 2% milk for protein, oatmeal with 1 tbsp of brown sugar for glycogen replacement, coffee because yum and water to rehydrate and help flush waste from muscles. Seems to be working for me.
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    D, b12, omega 3. I don't take calcium pills but many of my staple foods are coincidentally fortified with it.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Pre Workout: C4
    Post Workout: Amino X and About Time Protein Shake

I kinda hate veggies so I drink Shakeology for Lunch everyday and that supplies a rather large spectrum of my daily nutrients. Not sure if that's considered a supplement or not.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    I have been looking to take a new fish oil, I am not liking the after taste mine has, any suggestions?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I take a multivitamin and have protein bars or shakes. That's it.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I'm on this stuff called food...

Because supplements are not regulated and are increasingly being found to contain harmful substances instead of the supplement they are sold as, I try to meet my nutritional needs from real food. In addition, there is such limited and conflicting research evidence on vitamins and supplements. Not to mention, concerns about high dosages found in them.
  • Tryonrn
    Tryonrn Posts: 2 Member
    Choosethechalleng.com/sarahsmith here is a list of the supplements that I use. If I'm slimming down, the trim. If I'm gaining muscle, the performance line
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    gotta say, i just added quest nutrition protein milkshakes to my post workout. The flavor is incredible. I cant believe that its only 1 g of sugar. The shakes really filly me up - feels like I just drank a 1200cal milkshake from DQ. I combine this my Liporidex app suppressants and I don't think about eating for pretty much the next ten hours. Of course I have 3-4 meals (high protein, 400 cals) during this time.

I know that people seem to love to hate on supps sometimes, but I cannot stress how much easier sticking to my diet has been by using a high quality protein shake and appetite suppressant.

Oh yeah, I still cant believe that quest milkshake is < 1G of sugar! WAT???
  • danielabe1985
    danielabe1985 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Swisse mens ultivite
    Venom D-aspartic acid
    Venom Tribulous
    Venom Whey Protein Isolate
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    I take multivitamin and proteins
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    I just take a woman's one a day, fish oil and chia in my morning smoothies. I take a probiotic when things start to feel 'off' and yogurt/kefir isn't doing the trick.