Kit Kat or pear??

Options

Replies

• KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pears are twice as delicious and highly nutritious unlike a kitkat bar. :smile:
  • bananna30
    bananna30 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Kit Kat.

Kit Kat dipped in coffee.

Omg, you are brilliant!! I love chocolate and coffee can not believe I never tried that!

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Kit Kat.
    I'm going to one up this thread and go with TWO Kit Kats.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    both. obviously. one to keep your mouth happy, one to keep you regular
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    SJenno91 wrote: »
    hello all, I have been swimming regularly for the last 3 weeks and weining myself off the unhealthy foods. I have now replaced chocolate with fruit completely. My daily goals are 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I used to get around that mark easily but since I have started eating the fruit etc my diet seems to have changed massively. I'm now on 70% carbs, 10% fat and 20% protein. I'm not sure if it's good that I have replaced 20% fat with an extra 20% carbs. I do about 50-80 lengths in the pool and do not feel like I burn 70% worth of my carbs and this week I feel bloated and like I've gone backwards in that I feel like my weight has increased! Does anyone know if I should have my diet like it is now or how can I balance it more (what foods help)? Any advice is appreciated because I don't feel like it's working!

How frustrating!
    I have to say pear because of the fiber! Pears have more fiber than an apple, flavonoids, vit c, potassium, iron, calcium, antioxidants, vit k, folate. There is thought that pears help ward off cancer!
    Kit Kats have, um , wafers? I guess if you're really craving one every once in awhile, go for it, but eat a pear too!!!!

Pears do not help ward of cancer. The people that think that are wrong.
    You must be on the cutting edge of research! I'll tell the people I know who study this that they are wrong and wasting their time- thank you!
    Regardless, I believe you missed my point about nutritional content. Plus, fiber DOES help lower the risk of colon cancer, so you are the one who is wrong.

Oh yeah, so can we see thus research that shows pears ward of cancer?

Oh goodness, yes, of course! Do a little reading or talk to your doctor at your next colonoscopy. [/quote]

So what you are saying is you can't back up what you claim, got it. [/quote]

Geez, this is an internet forum. Are you wanting me to cut & paste internet articles for regarding nutritional and health benefits of fiber from the internet?
    Even if the studies are NOT true with fiber helping to ward off colon cancer, fiber is good for you. You know that, right? Fiber = good. Pears = good. Pears have fiber, copper, vitamin C, vitamin K, etc. etc.
    I didn't say go eat a vat of kit kats to be cancer free!!! That's extracting one sentence and missing the point, while being unnecessarily argumentative about something not worth arguing on a forum. Eat some pears, man- they might improve your mood.

1. Nutrition and Healthy Eating- Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983
    "Helps maintain bowel health. A high-fiber diet may lower your risk of developing hemorrhoids and small pouches in your colon (diverticular disease). Some fiber is fermented in the colon. Researchers are looking at how this may play a role in preventing diseases of the colon"

3. Dietary Fiber and Cancer Prevention
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/fiber-cancer

Heath Benefits of Pears: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/285430.php
    Eating one medium pear would provide 12% of daily vitamin C needs, as well as 10% of vitamin K, 6% of potassium and smaller amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, riboflavin, vitamin B-6 and folate.
    Pears also contain carotenoids, flavonols and anthocyanins (in red-skinned pears).
    Consuming fruits and vegetables of all kinds has long been associated with a reduced risk of many adverse health conditions. Many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like pears decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion, increased energy, and overall lower weight.
    Fiber
    The National Institute of Medicine based their recommendation on a review of the findings from several large studies. They found that diets with 14 grams fiber for every 1000 calories were associated with significant reductions in the risk of both coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

The easiest way to increase fiber intake is to increase your consumption of fruits and vegetables. Just one medium pear provides 6 grams of fiber, about 24% of the daily need for a woman under 50.

Treating diverticulosis
    High fiber diets have been shown to decrease the prevalence in flare-ups of diverticulitis by absorbing water in the colon and making bowel movements easier to pass. Eating a healthful, fruit and vegetable and fiber-filled diet can reduce pressure and inflammation in the colon.
    Although the cause of diverticular disease is still unknown, it has been repeatedly associated with a low fiber diet.2
    Weight loss
    Fruits and vegetables that are high in fiber help to keep you feeling full longer and are also low in calories. Increased fiber intakes have been shown to enhance weight loss for obese individuals.
    Cardiovascular disease and cholesterol
    Increased fiber intakes have also been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. A review of 67 separate controlled trials found that even a modest 10-gram per day increase in fiber intake reduced LDL and total cholesterol.
    Recent studies have shown that dietary fiber may even play a role in regulating the immune system and inflammation, consequently decreasing the risk of inflammation-related conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity.
    Diabetes
    A high fiber diet is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes and keeps blood sugar stable.
    Digestion
    The fiber content in pears prevents constipation and promotes regularity for a healthy digestive tract.
    Detox
    Regular, adequate bowel movements are crucial for the daily excretion toxins through the bile and stool. Pears are approximately 84% water, which help to keep stools soft and flush the digestive system of toxins.
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=28
  • NicoleS9
    Options
    both. obviously. one to keep your mouth happy, one to keep you regular

I like this answer best!
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    So it's not pears that ward off cancer but rather anything with dietary fiber? So oatmeal would work just as fine (Which is great, cause I do love me some red velvet proats with a cream cheese swirl in the AM)

Which is not at all what you said before, but okie dokie.
  • NicoleS9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    So it's not pears that ward off cancer but rather anything with dietary fiber? So oatmeal would work just as fine (Which is great, cause I do love me some red velvet proats with a cream cheese swirl in the AM)

Sorry, didn't realize people would be so confused by "There is thought that pears help ward off cancer" -or need a thorough explanation as to why.
  • NicoleS9
    Options
    Oatmeal helps your cholesterol levels too! I guess you could always stir in some pears & kit kats into your oatmeal. ;)
  • Daiako
    Options

Sorry, didn't realize people would be so confused by "There is thought that pears help ward off cancer" -or need a thorough explanation as to why.

You thought you could say something wards off cancer and people wouldn't want to know how and why?! Really?!
  • Daiako
    Options
    Oatmeal helps your cholesterol levels too! I guess you could always stir in some pears & kit kats into your oatmeal. ;)

Pears taste like crap tho.
  • NicoleS9
    Options

You thought you could say something wards off cancer and people wouldn't want to know how and why?! Really?!

Hmm, fair point.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    KitKat.

Regular 4 finger, not chunky. Bite off ends, dip in hot tea and suck through like a straw. Remove from tea and shove melty gooey chocolateiness into mouth.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    hello all, I have been swimming regularly for the last 3 weeks and weining myself off the unhealthy foods. I have now replaced chocolate with fruit completely. My daily goals are 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I used to get around that mark easily but since I have started eating the fruit etc my diet seems to have changed massively. I'm now on 70% carbs, 10% fat and 20% protein. I'm not sure if it's good that I have replaced 20% fat with an extra 20% carbs. I do about 50-80 lengths in the pool and do not feel like I burn 70% worth of my carbs and this week I feel bloated and like I've gone backwards in that I feel like my weight has increased! Does anyone know if I should have my diet like it is now or how can I balance it more (what foods help)? Any advice is appreciated because I don't feel like it's working!

How frustrating!
    I have to say pear because of the fiber! Pears have more fiber than an apple, flavonoids, vit c, potassium, iron, calcium, antioxidants, vit k, folate. There is thought that pears help ward off cancer!
    Kit Kats have, um , wafers? I guess if you're really craving one every once in awhile, go for it, but eat a pear too!!!!

Pears do not help ward of cancer. The people that think that are wrong.
    You must be on the cutting edge of research! I'll tell the people I know who study this that they are wrong and wasting their time- thank you!
    Regardless, I believe you missed my point about nutritional content. Plus, fiber DOES help lower the risk of colon cancer, so you are the one who is wrong.

Oh yeah, so can we see thus research that shows pears ward of cancer?

Oh goodness, yes, of course! Do a little reading or talk to your doctor at your next colonoscopy.

"After you ram that periscope up my starfish, let's discuss current fiber research blasé blah blah"
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

OP, you are doing great by noticing how you feel and considering making a change.
    Maybe reduce the carbs a little in order to have more fat.
    Whatever you decide to do about the carbs, keep swimming. :) (*) :)
  • SJenno91
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    OP, you are doing great by noticing how you feel and considering making a change.
    Maybe reduce the carbs a little in order to have more fat.
    Whatever you decide to do about the carbs, keep swimming. :) (*) :)

Thank you, I appreciate you commenting on my actual post rather than arguing about cancer! Do you know any fats I could introduce to replace the carbs I'm having to level things out?
  • oscarsson
    oscarsson Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Carbs get broken down in the body to sugar. Sugar in the blood=high blood sugar which is toxic. Insulin is released to remove the toxicity. Insulin is a fat storing hormone.

High blood sugar leads to high insulin leads to enhanced fat storage.

Completely oversimplified but anyone who says the fat storing results of a calorie are the same regardless of the source is kidding themselves.

Can you lose weight eating high sugar? Absolutely, as long as CI is less than CO. Should you elimate carbs and sugar altogether? Only if it works for you.

I have been eating very low carb for a month and to be honest I haven't dropped a kilo (I can't figure this out as the science is fact). I have however dropped a couple of cm and feel generally more fit and fresh so there are other benefits to keeping sugar under control. Bottom line is that if you body burns more than it consumes you lose weight. Finding the equation is the tricky part as everyones metabolisms are different.

Hope this helps!