Sick of hearing "You have such a pretty face.".......

Options

Replies

• xoxodollface
    Options
    I am so glad that I found this site!!! You all are so sweet with your comments and messages and we are obviously all here for a lot of the same reasons!
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ew i hated that. got it all the time. it was such an insult.
  • diamondgirl50
    diamondgirl50 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am in a similar boat as you and have tracked my food with MFP off/on for a year or so. About 10 days ago I got serious....I mean come on! It is just time to get this done. It is not rocket science :) So I started walking. After being fairly sedentary
    over the past 5 years and at 342 pounds those 2 laps around the track were pretty painful and really sllllooooowww. I have lost 8 pounds, albeit water weight or not....that needed to come off too. Today I pressed to my first mile! The first of a kajillan to come as I gain strength, stamina and my health.

Feel free to friend me. I am just now starting to utilize the support part of this site....think its gonna be pretty sweet. And for this season I am in AR too taking care of my mom...about an hour or two north of you. Good luck as you launch out into this journey and know your not doing it alone!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with what an above poster said. You can fix the weight issue, but ya can't fix ugly. I know this firsthand! lol, so i'd say be glad you already got a great face. You just now need the body you want to go with it and you'll be a full package deal!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... this is a big step for me just even being on this site. First off my name is Elizabeth (everyone calls me Doll), I am a 31 year old full time college student and makeup artist. I am originally from Austin, Texas but currently live in Central Arkansas. I have been overweight since I was about 17-18 and even before that I felt "fat" even though looking back I was anything but. I am in a serious relationship and we have been talking about "the future" and I realized that I don't want to be a "fat" bride. I don't want to have to special order my gown without even being able to try it on. All my life I have had people tell me "You have such a pretty face!" but I have never truly felt beautiful and I think my weight is really the issue for me.

Every year I tell myself, well if I would have started this time last year where would I be and I am sick of doing that to myself!!! I am 5' 11" and weigh over 350 pounds... that's not cute! I decided that I couldn't continue to always be the "biggest" person in the room so I went out and bought a scale, weighed myself at home and cried for about an hour. I had no idea that I had gotten this heavy! I mean of course I know I'm heavy but when you're tall and have been heavy for years it sometimes just sneaks up on you.

I don't have many friends who will be workout buddies or really even able to grasp how I feel since most of them have never been this heavy. I have some friends who are a lil thick but no one who is truly overweight. So anyone who may read this in the Conway, Arkansas area who wants to become gym buddies please please feel free to hit me up!!!

I have NO IDEA what I am doing or how to do this but I WILL LOSE THIS WEIGHT!!!!!

<3

So many things that can be addressed. First off I noticed you said you have always felt fat, even though you look back and you can see looking back you felt you were fat even when you weren't. That says volumes. That is going to be something that is going to kill you motivation. Because it seems to me even if everyone tells you how much thinner you look it might not be good enough in you eyes and you will be that voice in your head that causes doubt that this isn't even working. So the best thing to do for yourself is to make this about your health. Want to be a healthier you. I know I might battle with my weight all my life, even while working twice as hard as someone else. I can't control that. I can't decide what the magic formula and guarantee I will be my goal weight all the time. What you and I can control is making good choices most the time, be conscience of our choices and keep track of our good days and bad days. This community works so well because it tries to have you loss slow enough that you body doesn't go into starvation mode, in which it tries to store as much energy as efficiently as possible. This tries to prevent a yoyo effect. It's ok you don't know what your doing. Most come into MFP with bad habits picked up from past diets that just don't work in the long run.
    I suggest before you commit to a set amount of calories you read up on this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
    That explains how important figuring out your tdee number is.
    What's your tdee you ask. Well it is your amount of calories you need to neither gain or lose weight. So knowing that number is mega important.
    That said when you become healthier I hope you look at your pretty face and find it. Sounds like you have somebody that loves you and thinks of you more than just a pretty face. Find the you they see because once you have you won't be the voice tearing yourself down in the mirror even once you lose weight. Good luck and enjoy this experience. If you need an extra friend and don't mind I'm a guy send me a friend invite.
    Waving from Texas - Gabriel
  • USCEE77
    USCEE77 Posts: 50
    Options
    It reminds me of a Cheers episode when the Coach (the old guy behind the bar) was trying to talk his daughter out of marrying a big jerk. She said, "Dad, look at me, be honest, tell me what you see!" Coach said, " I see your Mother, you are beautiful just like she was." I still get teary eyed :cry:

Find the ONE thing that motivates you, and you will achieve your goal. And remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well, you do have a pretty face!
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Don't people know that anyone who's pretty has a pretty face? That's just pretty! YOU'RE PRETTY!

Best of luck. We're in this together!
  • kohldawg9
    kohldawg9 Posts: 13
    Options
    "Find the ONE thing that motivates you, and you will achieve your goal. And remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!"

Love this!!!!

Find a picture of the wedding dress you want to wear.....post it everywhere. Fridge, cupboards, bedroom door, closet....everywhere you want to post it. I find reminders like that helpful to keep me motivated :)

Enjoy the journey and everything that you learn about yourself and your body along the way!!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    congrats on chooseing to change your life with mfp!!! Welcome! You will be a beautiful bride from head to toe.
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    yes, i know what you mean! so pretty, just chubby! (i even tell myself that) ugh! but take the positive side...you already look good, so you'll look even better! the potential to look amazing is there. just take one step at a time and you 'll get there.
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not near you, but I'd love to be friends on here to motivate and support each other. Feel free to add me!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't get mad at me....but I have to say you really are gorgeous!:) I wish you the best of luck on your fitness journey. You can do it! I can tell you have spunk and drive and that will totally get you started on the right path.
  • Ashleygrand86
    Ashleygrand86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eurgh, I hear that too... "You have such a pretty face" and all I can think of is the rest of sentence "shame about your flub!"

But, we are all here for the same reason. I am ridiculously far from you (Manchester UK) but I'm completely up for online support if you want to friend request me?

If not though, That's fine too. I wish you all the best in your journey. There are ups and downs in the fight to be a loser (a weight loser that is) but this site is full of people to cheer the good and console in the bad. We have all been there - and all share a common goal.

Good luck sweetie xXx
  • Svitfull
    Svitfull Posts: 5
    Options
    Well it is better then "you got such an ugly face", that is what i get. Anyway, something that is awesome is to see how much effect your weight loss will have on your face. If you think you are pretty now... Then you just wait ;)
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    Your face is hideous! Kididng of course :)
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Doll - feel free to add me. I've had that comment before too :)
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    lol
  • beautifulalayna
    Options
    how inspiring :)
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this. Good luck.