Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options
15678911»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why some people here have an issue with leftovers... can't you just like, log them for the next few days?

Well, it really depends what. Fried stuff... not so much. It's just not as good when it's reheated. Pizza? Sure. Baked goods? Not as good the next day either.

How are baked goods not as good the next day? I had a brownie platter for like a week, I actually preferred it the next day because it cooled off and was a great chewy gooey consistency.
    I don't do moderation. More accurately, I only do it when 10 chips is all I want. When I want a slice of my mother's 700-calories-per-slice mousse cake, I better have that 700 calorie whole slice (or two) of cake because if I do a sliver I will have spent 200 or so calories on something that made me even more miserable and wanting. If it's worth saving for/working off then damn it all I'm going to have it, even if it puts my day at 4000 calories and puts me in a position where I'll have to eat rabbit food for a whole week.
    a 700 calorie slice is moderation, because you a) aren't doing that daily and b) you aren't eating 3000 calories of cake. I had 5 slices of pizza last night... this was moderation based on how it fit into my calories for the day and my overall dietary context.

Also you wouldn't have to eat rabbit food the rest of the week if you go over. You just carry on and expect slower weight loss or a temporary gain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why some people here have an issue with leftovers... can't you just like, log them for the next few days?

Of course, but I might be able to fit a pizza dinner into my week without wanting to fit 3 such dinners in. Similarly, I might be happy to have a piece of apple pie tonight without wanting one 4 nights in a row.

Pizza for me is hard to square with my macros, also. It's more that than the calories with thin crust. Of course I can make it fit by adding sides (although that's contrary to the whole, yay, leftovers, no cooking thing that's in my head) or playing around with other meals, but it's more work than I'd like. I'd rather go out for a more splurgy dinner one night, have someone else take the leftovers (or order so there aren't any) and go back to my usual dinner/lunch the next day.

Very well put.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    lajackash wrote: »
    I have never been a fan of moderation. Ever. Because the mindset is usually "If I can only have this much than I may as well not have any!" And I have always thought that that kind of deprivation is not healthy, but then again I am not competing to be the next IFBB Bikini Pro or anything...

However, I will say that over the years I have learned to adjust my eating habits. I love sweets and I also love looking good- I don't treat those things as mutually exclusive. I try to balance out my "splurges" and I always think about how I am going to feel once I inhale whatever I am craving. Like today my mom and I went to Costco, we were both eye-balling the frozen yogurt and I thought to myself, "Yes, I love froyo, but do I really need an ENTIRE Costco serving of it?" The answer was no, and I split one with my mom. Turns out we could only eat half it between the two of us! I got to satisfy a craving with only a quarter of [nonexistent] guilt!

I think the more you learn to listen to your body, the easier moderation can be. It may not be the ideal amount you want to eat, but better some than none. And if you need a cupcake or a cookie or a slice of pizza- eat it. Just eat it... preferably not the whole thing, but enough to feel like you've done something. I like being happy. Yes I hate when MFP tells me that I have overindulged on some daily goal that has been set for me, but overall I am ok.

This is probably not the best advice, but the way I see it, if you are eating and exercising consistently, then you are allowed to splurge every once in a while. It truly is the little things.

Be blessed!

Thank you for this thoughtful post!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Bob's Red Mill gluten-free brownie mix is love. Make with applesauce and egg whites and add some sliced almonds and flax. I bake them in the brownie pan. Each comes out to about 110 calories and they are delicious. No one ever believes they aren't 300+ calories...they are that good. So I never feel bad in eating 4 at a time. Huge portion!

Bob's Red Mill, what a cool dude, he retired and gave his company to his employee's. He could have sold it for millions. I've never seen brownie mix but I will defiantly look for it. I try to always buy my various flours and oats from them.

Heh, I also looked for it, and even bought it today. Why not, I like their oatmeal. Who knows when I will get around to making them, but I might.