Calorie dense clean food?

Options
13»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP if you want "clean" foods, just don't eat off the floor. /End thread. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    When I want a lot of calories on the run but don't want a candy bar I'll sometimes grab a package of seaseme seeds that are basically just seeds and honey. It has a decent amount of calories from fat and carbs and probably would pass as being minimally processed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Surely butter churned from the milk of the same cow you were willing to fry would still be ok? OP did say they were already having milk (or did I misread that?)

Oh, my, no. There's a specific prohibition against that in a kosher diet.

Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk. - Deuteronomy 14:21
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If dairy is out, there's always EVOO.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I see dairy is in! Yay! To avoid processed ice-cream, you can always make your own. That way you can make sure it stays under five ingredients.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/homemade-ice-cream-recipes
  • madiha1397
    madiha1397 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I see dairy is in! Yay! To avoid processed ice-cream, you can always make your own. That way you can make sure it stays under five ingredients.

Mmmm that sounds great :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you make it home you still process it right?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Pro-tip-- add about an oz of liquor to keep your ice cream from freezing rock hard.

eta: that might make it less "clean," but it definitely improves the creaminess.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Pro-tip-- add about an oz of liquor to keep your ice cream from freezing rock hard.

eta: that might make it less "clean," but it definitely improves the creaminess.

I think alcohol steralizes right? ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What the heck is going on in this thread?

We're making ice cream. With liquor.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I think alcohol steralizes right? ;)

Egg-zactly. ;)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    madiha1397 wrote: »
    Besides egg, milk, peanut butter, olive oil, avocados and bananas which other clean calorie dense and nutrient dense foods are there? I don't want to fuel up on junk because I think it's counter productive. #NeedToIncreaseMyCalories :) thanks guys

Meat, oily fish, coconut, butter, double cream are a few.

But it's not counterproductive to add some 'junk'. It's actually very helpful, if you've hit your micros/macros and are just too damn full to squeeze in more chicken and brocolli, a wee portion of icecream or whatever can make for an easier/happier life.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If it's freezing that hard, have you considered adding more sugar to your recipe? That's supposed to be a contributing factor to texture.

madiha1397, I'd recommend halloumi fried in butter. Delicious.

• minionman
    minionman Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Besides egg, milk, peanut butter, olive oil, avocados and bananas which other clean calorie dense and nutrient dense foods are there? I don't want to fuel up on junk because I think it's counter productive. #NeedToIncreaseMyCalories :) thanks guys

I use pasta, put some veggies, olives, load that up and meet my cals, but most importantly, do what you feel is right for your body, eat foods that don't make you feel bloated, sluggish, if ice cream is your thing then do it, if not you could always eat a lot more veggies and fruits that will sustain you longer then processed foods, keep it simple, the calorie counter on here seems pretty good,
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    What are your goals? How much weight do you wish to gain? I think there are plenty of calorie dense foods you can use in daily consumption. You can add fish, scallops, shrimp, bacon(yes protein and fat and it tastes damn good), beans and rice, vegetables of any color. For me personally, if I want to widen my caloric window, I exercise a little more and use less nutrient dense foods(20% or close) as well as nutrient dense foods(about 80% or close to it). Make sense?

hey, i, 5'7 foot and 8.4 stone. i want to get to 9.5. n yup. it totally made sense. i struggle mainly with protein as i rarely eat fish or meat. i do however drink milk and eat eggs but it isn't enough

So 113 pounds to 133 pounds....brain math, early this AM, so hopefully this is close. @ndj1979 I think I understand what you were saying earlier in the thread so OP---yes to ice cream(easy to add cals with this), also since I'm hungry, and these can be for breakfast- - - -> Protein powdered pumpkin pancakes with(here in the US) a 1/3 of a cup of Hungry Jack(dry). Recipe is simple with pumpkin puree, 2 eggs or egg whites, a little cinnamon, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice, and 2 scoops( 1 serving) of whey vanilla protein powder. Add maple syrup and butter and you have about 450 calories. They are somewhat sticky, gooey little suckers, and come out flat and small. But the taste and calories offset any aesthetic issue from the eye(IMO).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    If it's freezing that hard, have you considered adding more sugar to your recipe? That's supposed to be a contributing factor to texture.

madiha1397, I'd recommend halloumi fried in butter. Delicious.

Mine wasn't so hard that I couldn't scoop it but I'm used to Talenti gelato now so I'm kinda spoiled on texture. But maybe I will try that next time-- it's not exactly ice cream weather. ;)

Also why would you take away my excuse to add liquor? :laugh: