I hate these posts but, what am i doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    You don't need to eat exercise calories back if you chose an activity level in the beginning that includes your exercise. MFP doesn't make this very clear. If you put that you are lightly active, for example, because you workout 1-3 times a week, MFP already has calculated that into your calorie allowance. There is no need to eat them back!

I agree with everyone else and just don't eat them back. You are eating at maintenance right now. :)

This whole MFP activity level setting can be a big daunting. I work a desk job but my activity level is set to active. I weight lift 3 days a week and run 3 days, and do the Elliptical cross-trainer (average six to seven hours a week exercise), I eat all my cardio exercise calories calories back, but not weight lifting, and I've been maintaining for over a year.

At first I was lightly active and lost weight quicker than I set my goals for, then raised it to lightly active and still lost weight quicker than I wanted to. Finally, I tried active and everything was peachy from then on.

In my opinion, finding the correct activity level takes some trial and error.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you've lost a clothing size, that's fantastic! You're definitely gaining muscle while losing fat. Have you taken measurements? Try measuring bust-waist-hips each month - maybe you can see results that way if not on the scale.

Sadly, you may need to reduce your calorie count to lose. I weigh about the same as you and maintain at 1900. It depends on your activity level when you're NOT working out, too. I'm basically sedentary at work, so even on a day that I go to the gym I'm still not necessarily that active overall.

If you struggle with hunger, focus on lean protein and tons and tons of vegetables; avoid sugar and starch. This is not at all a criticism because it looks like you eat really well. But if you're having hunger problems, starchy carbs will make it worse.

Whatever you do, don't give up. I've been exactly where you are. The workouts you're doing will benefit your health and fitness levels no matter what.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sorry I just noticed that your diary is already open..

Your logging looks good.

I did notice that you are eating back 100% of your calories burned, which is putting your at 2100 a day....typically, a lot of the calories burned estimates can vary wildly. So if you think you are burning 300 a day and eat those 300 back then you could be consuming an extra 2100 calories a week and not even knowing it.

I would suggest just eating to 1800 and not record exercise calories...

OR

herrspoons advice of going to 1600 and no exercise calories...

Thanks I think i am just going to try the 1800 for a while and not eating back the exercise calories. although there may be days i have to as I am training for a marathon and on my long run days i can burn upwards off 700+ calories according to my heart rate monitor and i just ned the extra fuel or i feel light headed.
    I would double check your settings, that seems like a high calorie allowance. Do you have yourself set for the right activity level (not including exercise you are logging)? IE sedentary, lightly active, etc? Go through the goals process and update them just in case there's a glitch. If it's not that, then you're eating too many calories for your individual body.

My thoughts also, 1800 seems high. My wife is 195# and at 1200.

I would literally fall over dead with the amount of exercise i do ( 6 days, intense effort) if i only ate 1200 calories. maybe if all i did was sit at my office and nothing else, but I know from expierence that amount is just way to low!
    holly55555 wrote: »
    You don't need to eat exercise calories back if you chose an activity level in the beginning that includes your exercise. MFP doesn't make this very clear. If you put that you are lightly active, for example, because you workout 1-3 times a week, MFP already has calculated that into your calorie allowance. There is no need to eat them back!

I agree with everyone else and just don't eat them back. You are eating at maintenance right now. :)

I actually choose lightly active to get that amount but I am actually more active than that, but i figured it would build in a little more deficite if i underestimated my activity.

Ah, yup. By choosing lightly active, you've given yourself about 250 extra calories, which is the deficit you need for about 1/2 lb per week loss. But the activity level is meant to be your activity outside of intentional exercise, if you're doing plain MFP method. If you're sedentary outside of exercise, then it's likely you've been double dipping.

Just for comparison, if you were in the sedentary setting, you'd need to eat around 1710 calories net to lose 1/2 lb per week. I think your margins are really quite close which explains lack of weight loss

The examples I saw in MFP tool: sedentary = desk job, lightly active is like a teacher, on your feet all day, active, mailman. Very active physical labor like construction, bike messenger, carpenter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Also, bear in mind that any muscle you build weighs more than the fat it replaces. So you can be considerably slimmer and more compact without changing your actual weight on the scale

no
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Also, bear in mind that any muscle you build weighs more than the fat it replaces. So you can be considerably slimmer and more compact without changing your actual weight on the scale

With the exception of newbie gains, one does not build muscle in a deficit.
  • ndj1979
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

With the exception of newbie gains, one does not build muscle in a deficit.

and OP is doing primarily cardio workouts with minimal lifting, from what I can see…so newbie gains are going to be extremely minimal.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would double check your settings, that seems like a high calorie allowance. Do you have yourself set for the right activity level (not including exercise you are logging)? IE sedentary, lightly active, etc? Go through the goals process and update them just in case there's a glitch. If it's not that, then you're eating too many calories for your individual body.

My thoughts also, 1800 seems high. My wife is 195# and at 1200.

I am at 221 and eating 1800, and losing about 1.4 lb a week. I agree, your setting seem a little high.

• JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like that you are eating frequently as it keeps your blood levels even. Maybe try eating a little something with that coffee as well. The snacks / meals seem a bit big though. My snacks are 2-3 sticks of carrots or celery, sometimes 3-5 grapes, maybe 0.5-1oz of chicken. Most of my meals are half size but more frequent. Your snacks log in higher in calories and carbs than a good meal.

I would reduce carbs and sugars. I try to keep my carbs around 100 a day and try to keep the sugars as low as possible.

I also find most protein shakes and bars (or even creatine) to be a terrible source of protein (though I keep using the creatine). They include too many calories and carbs. I usually reserve it for my pre-workout snack when I am lifting. But, I lift heavy / to failure. I doubt you need that. (though you should lift heavy).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I like that you are eating frequently as it keeps your blood levels even. Maybe try eating a little something with that coffee as well. The snacks / meals seem a bit big though. My snacks are 2-3 sticks of carrots or celery, sometimes 3-5 grapes, maybe 0.5-1oz of chicken. Most of my meals are half size but more frequent. Your snacks log in higher in calories and carbs than a good meal.

I would reduce carbs and sugars. I try to keep my carbs around 100 a day and try to keep the sugars as low as possible.

I also find most protein shakes and bars (or even creatine) to be a terrible source of protein (though I keep using the creatine). They include too many calories and carbs. I usually reserve it for my pre-workout snack when I am lifting. But, I lift heavy / to failure. I doubt you need that. (though you should lift heavy).

Ignore this op 100 grams of carbs and sugar is not some magic number
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    edited February 2015
    Options

All I said is that is what I do so leave me alone and give it a rest.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am 171 and seem to be maintaining on an average of 2000 calories a day. I am still trying to lose 1/2 pound per week myself. I wonder if your giving your body time to rest? Maybe water weight? I wouldn't cut too low especially on running days.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    OP, there is a current discussion going on at the moment led by a man named Stroutman. He is so knowledgeable and I bet if you asked him your question, he would put you on the right track. I know it is a long thread but it is worth the read and you might even find your answer along the way. He is amazing and so generous with his knowledge.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10009722/have-a-question-how-about-a-live-q-a-starting-in-3-2-1-go/p1
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Actually, you told them too as well.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Also, she's marathon training. That is just not realistic advice.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ummmm no you told her to reduce carbs and sugars ...stop giving advice based on some arbitrary number of 100 carbs..
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    for that last year i have flucuated around 195lbs give or take a few. over the holidays i did get as high as 203 but was back down to 195 as of 4 weeks ago. since then i have not lost a single ounce. i eat 1800 calories a day. sometimes eating back what i burn, sometimes not depending on appetite.

I weigh all my food on a food scale and i wear a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate account of calories burned during exercise over what MFP suggets. i run three days a week (about 15 miles a week at this point) and weight train on two of those running days as well. the other days are a mix of zumba, cycling and cross circuit training (bodyweight HIIT stuff) i rest sundays.

everything i have ready says i should be seeing results. i have cross checked MFP and TDEE to figure out a calorie goal. I just dont get it. I have been working out 4-6 days a week for over a year and while I am slimmer (not a whole lot but at least a size) the scale doesnt budge. I just odnt get it!

any ideas on what I should do?

If you have been at this weight for a year, then with the exercise taken into account, you are eating at maintenance. This is the point where you either accept you are happy at the weight you are, or that you need to aim for 300-500 calories less.
    I do not know your height of course, but more than 2000 calories per day for a woman, it does sound a lot, I am average height, exercise a lot and cannot remember ever eating that much, not even when I was much younger and constantly on my feet. And even if you are very tall, 195 lbs means you still have several lbs to lose to be in healthy weight, so maybe you should slow down on exercise, if this causes you to eat more, and focus on limiting calories more?
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing around what foods you eat? From my experience, I stuck to the same foods and then plateaud. Once I started changing to different foods, the weight loss started again. I also try to remain under the amount of calories I'm supposed to eat by at least 300 a day. Easy to do as a vegetarian.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I never told her what number she should do, just that she should lower her carb and sugar intake. She does not run marathons based on her post.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    isislc wrote: »
    Have you tried changing around what foods you eat? From my experience, I stuck to the same foods and then plateaud. Once I started changing to different foods, the weight loss started again. I also try to remain under the amount of calories I'm supposed to eat by at least 300 a day. Easy to do as a vegetarian.

Type of food has nothing to do with a plateau. When you changed type of food, it put you into a calorie deficit again.

A plateau means you are eating at maintenance, which could result from unintentional inaccurate logging of calories in and/or out and/or forgetting to change your calorie settings after weight is lost.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I never told her what number she should do, just that she should lower her carb and sugar intake. She does not run marathons based on her post.

Jim - in her (OP's) 2nd or 3rd response she stated that she is in training for a marathon, just saying... sometimes it is helpful if you read all of her posts before responding and defending said responses...