Kicked out of gym for doing renegage rows????

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    I went to a PF once and was interested in joining - asked if I could do deadlifts and they said yes. I took a look around and there were no barbells, only smith machines. I asked how I was supposed to do deadlifts and homeboy at the front desk said people do them on the smith machines.

I did not join.

Did we check out the same PF? I got the same response about deadlifts. This past weekend I checked out a powerlifting gym, not fancy, no treadmills or ellipticals , just weights. The guy who owns it is a former bodybuilder and now he trains bodybuilders, powerlifters, figure competitors, etc., he HATES PF. His gym is close to one and he gets a lot of overflow, PF members that join his gym so they can lift.

BTW - I love renegade rows, though I do them as part of (wo)manmakers. Got a lot of weird looks when I did them at the resort gym on my vacation in the DR last year.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    jchenks wrote: »
    That guy has nice white teeth.

Which "guy" has nice white teeth? Point me to him.... Tell me. Don't keep that suspense going.
    The guy demonstrating how to perform "Renegade Rows"!
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

I liked his sweet beard.

Is he wearing compression shorts ....?

Um what? The guy in the video the OP posted..haha. A large muscular man with very nice teeth and an awesome beard. I like
    Edit: and tattoos. The trifecta!

He caught my eye haha
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

I liked his sweet beard.

Is he wearing compression shorts ....?

Um what? The guy in the video the OP posted..haha. A large muscular man with very nice teeth and an awesome beard. I like
    Edit: and tattoos. The trifecta!

Which "guy" has nice white teeth? Point me to him.... Tell me. Don't keep that suspense going.
    The guy demonstrating how to perform "Renegade Rows"!

Ha Ha Ha !!! My bad!!! TOTALLY evil mind of mine!!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    My main beef with PF pizza is that I'd put money on it being terrible pizza.

Good pizza is worth fitting in to your numbers. Crappy chain pizza? The stuff that might as well be Wonder Bread and Catsup with Velveeta melted on top? Vile.

Same thing with the Tootsie Rolls. You find me a gym that will give me Belgian Chocolate? I'm in. Year contract if there's a wine pairing.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Do you want to know why, sofaking6? Because at the time, he didn't know about PF's reputation. After he learned the truth, he left the place and found someplace that had more regard for its clientele.

BTW, I certainly hope that you're not trying to shift blame to the client in situations like this.

I thought you said in the OP he was kicked out for doing the move. Was he kicked out or did he leave the place after he learned the truth?
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    Do you want to know why, sofaking6? Because at the time, he didn't know about PF's reputation. After he learned the truth, he left the place and found someplace that had more regard for its clientele.

BTW, I certainly hope that you're not trying to shift blame to the client in situations like this.

I thought you said in the OP he was kicked out for doing the move. Was he kicked out or did he leave the place after he learned the truth?

I gather he was asked to leave for doing the move and thus decided to cancel his membership.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    I don't know who DB is or what that has to do with my point, but if the pizza is alright I can't fault him for doing that, it should work out to a lot less than actually buying pizza once a week.

To be clear though, once a month, I'd go in. Plow the pizza hard, walk over and do something to set off the lunk alarm, then strut out.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    He was doing something else. I go to Planet Fitness and I do them all the time nobody ever looks twice at what I am doing. I do take the dumb bells to the floor section designated for pushups etc adn not in the main weight area.

By the way your buddy did not get thrown out because he did that excercise. He got thrown out for being a jack hole. Nobody is ever thrown out for doing any excercise in any gym. The gym employee comes over and tells you to stop doing it. If you stop you get to stay if you don't then you need to go because you are a jack hole not because of the excercise.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »
    He was doing something else. I go to Planet Fitness and I do them all the time nobody ever looks twice at what I am doing. I do take the dumb bells to the floor section designated for pushups etc adn not in the main weight area.
    As others have already said, some PF locations are more laid back than others. You're simply fortunate in that your particular PF facility is more reasonable.
    By the way your buddy did not get thrown out because he did that excercise. He got thrown out for being a jack hole. Nobody is ever thrown out for doing any excercise in any gym. The gym employee comes over and tells you to stop doing it. If you stop you get to stay if you don't then you need to go because you are a jack hole not because of the excercise.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Here's proof:

http://physicalculturist.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/warning-no-deadlift-gym-rules.jpgdw4y2ui13qwc.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    As others have already said, some PF locations are more laid back than others. You're simply fortunate in that your particular PF facility is more reasonable.

http://physicalculturist.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/warning-no-deadlift-gym-rules.jpgdw4y2ui13qwc.jpg

OMGWTFBBQ. Although, if that was up when OP's friend joined, he has no excuse.

I still think it's a franchise specific issue.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    That would have pissed me off 'cause I do those all the time (except I do a push up, then pull the dumb bell up)...

Yeah, I do the push up version too, and I've done them with kettle bells, which is a little trickier for balance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

OMGWTFBBQ. Although, if that was up when OP's friend joined, he has no excuse.

I still think it's a franchise specific issue.

more than likely true…

i still think PF blows though ….
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

You have got to be effing kidding me?! No deadlifts? How is that even intimidating?? You don't have to be a powerlifter meathead bro dude to do deadlifts. I just watched a toddler do it with pink dumbells. I mean come on......
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've seen folks do those at various gyms (I have an insurance card that gets me into various local gyms). I've seen it at the Y, and PF, as well as my preferred weight lifting gym. Never seen anyone hassled for it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BTW PF seems to have run into problems by telling a Muslim woman to wear a baseball cap instead of her hijab.

Warning: strong language.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Vl0HWZEM3BA

ETA BTW this is an opinion piece not a news article.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »

You have got to be effing kidding me?! No deadlifts? How is that even intimidating?? You don't have to be a powerlifter meathead bro dude to do deadlifts. I just watched a toddler do it with pink dumbells. I mean come on......

because it is a "powerlifter/body builder move" and PF is catering to people that are scared of those types...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously???
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »

One of my MFP friends had to change gyms recently because her PF removed the barbells and weights.