Coffee Calories Add Up!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    I switched from a double double (2 cream 2 sugar) to 1 (2%) milk 1 sweetener. Saved a lot of daily calories and didn't take long to get used to. I can't get used to black coffee. I drink black coffee when I must have that perk, but 1 milk 1 sweetener when I want to enjoy it more. I still get my double double when I need a special treat :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Coffee is the only thing I drink that isn't water. Occasionally tea, but I don't add anything to that. I consider coffee as part of breakfast instead of something on the side, so it doesn't seem like a huge calorie waste. 2T hwc, 1-2T Tourani, 1 stevia, 15g coconut oil.

Little cheese on the side, entire meal under 400 calories, and usually not hungry again until after 2. My biggest problem is if I sleep late, don't drink coffee until late morning, and I'm lucky if I get hungry at all again before bed.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2015
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    ... As an added bonus, it keeps me from killing my office mates. ;)

LOL!!
    I’m not a coffee aficionado, but I also like mine with 4 tablespoons of creamer. I use fat free half and half (I know, it’s an oxymoron of epic proportions!) I don’t use sugar and it’s only about 44 cals. Can you just try and cut down on real sugar? As someone else here said you may be surprised how quickly you can pare down…. Regardless, don’t give up the things you love – just fit them into your daily goals. In some cases (see above) we will ALL thank you!
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Almond milk/coconut milk is pretty good!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Coffee is like 1 calorie per cup. You are talking about sugar, cream, milk and other additives...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    Fortunately for me, I've always hated anything sweet in my coffee, so it's just the calories from cream, half-and-half, milk, or unsweetened soy/almond/etc. milk (I'm already particular about no sugar, so I can't be particular about the "milk," so long as it's not skim milk, which turns the coffee an unappetizing shade of greyish brown).

Typically I put 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of half and half or 2 Tbsp of milk per an 8 fl oz (240 ml) cup of coffee, so that's only 20 calories per cup at most. I learned to drink it black when one place I worked only had those powdered non-dairy creamers; they get all clumpy and taste a little sweet to me, so I would rather drink it black. But if I can get half and half or milk, it's worth the 20 calories. Espressos I generally drink black, and americanos (hot or iced) I drink black if they're made just right - otherwise the milk or half and half covers up the fact that the drink is too weak or too strong (acidic).
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Almond milk/coconut milk is pretty good!

I tried Almond milk before just don't taste right to me. It seems heavier then half and half like you have to keep stirring it...
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    edited February 2015
    I like milk/creamer in my coffee. I have 4 TBLS of sugar free vanilla liquid creamer, 4 Splenda, and 12 oz. of coffee in the mornings. My coffee is 80 calories and 3 carbs. You can say what you want about artificial sweeteners, but, they are for me. I'm also diabetic and have to watch carbs and sugar.
  • jazzy550

[/quote]

No, and it is no more healthy than table sugar. I don't put anything sweet in my coffee, just a splash (1 Tbl) of half and half. I do use a little demerara sugar in my tea along with a splash of skim milk. It adds a little flavor but not as much as honey does.

[/quote]

I like milk and sugar in my tea! Has to be black tea; none of the fancy green tea or flavored tea...
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    I just like it black.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    I second the coconut milk. I have mine with that and one raw sugar and I'm good :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I love my coffee black!!!!!!! Yuhhhmmmmmmy
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Coffee is like 1 calorie per cup. You are talking about sugar, cream, milk and other additives...
    Yes what is all this other stuff? Black coffee with some semi-skimmed milk, delicious and what, 20kcal?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I had a second Dunks iced coffee because I can. 360 calories, no regrets.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Just skip the coffee ;)
  • jazzy550

LOL! My favorite drive through coffee is a tall americano with steamed milk and two sugars at star bucks!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Oh so glad that i've always preferred black. Nothing goes as well with a cigarette. I quit smoking but the black coffee stuck.
  • I cut out sugar, try honey or agave syrup. It is really sweet but helps to get off sugar and better for health than artificial sweeteners. I don't have sweetener in coffee any more but usually drink about 3 cups a day - I love it! With coconut or almond milk :)
    There are some issues with agave but IMO its far better than the white stuff!
  • I have just started counting calories but don't bother with salad/veg and coffee! :wink:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I have just started counting calories but don't bother with salad/veg and coffee! :wink:

Why not?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Add 2% milk. It sweetens it up plenty enough. I used to drink mine light and sweet. Now with 1/2 and 1/2 or steamed milk. Tastes better too.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I don't know what tablet you have, but I don't have any trouble editing posts on my iPad. Coffee with whole milk and Truvia is about 40-60cal/16oz. How much coffee are you drinking? I limit myself to 16oz a day. The rest is slightlly flavored water and an occasional lime refresher at Starbucks.
  • missiontofitness
    jazzy550 wrote: »

LOL! My favorite drive through coffee is a tall americano with steamed milk and two sugars at star bucks!

I actually just got a gift card to Starbucks today ($5), and I am very excited to use it on one latte! Lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've preferred it black for years, so it doesn't really add up to much, IMO. More important, I drink it most days, so it evens out. If my calories are higher because of it, I'd see they should be lowered, and would lower them by a bit. (I wouldn't cut out the small amount of coffee calories for that reason, although I do go through periods where I take a break from coffee.)
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Coffee and ice cream are my staples :blush:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

I actually just got a gift card to Starbucks today ($5), and I am very excited to use it on one latte! Lol.

I got 125 dollars worth of starbucks gift cards for xmas this year. And have at least 50-75 left over from from last year. Bleh.
  • missiontofitness
    arditarose wrote: »

I got 125 dollars worth of starbucks gift cards for xmas this year. And have at least 50-75 left over from from last year. Bleh.

Gotta love those "thoughtful" gifts.
  • jazzy550
    Wow that's a lot of Starbucks!
  • anarchysbitch
    anarchysbitch Posts: 64 Member
    I will not compromise on my coffee's. Full cream milk and 2 raw sugars!
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    To be honest, I was always more of a tea fan, but ever since I started my weight loss journey, Ive had a craving for coffee? It satisfies my hunger/sweet tooth at night. It's so bizarre. I just add 4 tablespoons of skim milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar. I only allow myself to drink it once a week though, sometimes even less. It just leaves me very satisfied :smiley: