I wonder if they realise…

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Im a nursing student. I see my female classmates consume far beyond their daily requirement. How do you think I feel?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

The post was mainly because I was interested to see if this is normal office behaviour because I find it rather surprising.

This is completely normal office behaviour and has happend in every office I have worked in since I started work 30 years ago. Cakes/treats for everyone plsu a team/closer colleague lunch (often with copious alcohol). Years ago there would also be an after work event as well, also with copious alcohol. And if people had been on holiday or overseas on business they would bring back local treats - try working in an office where at least 4 people go to Bussels each week and bring back a nice large box of Leonidas chocolates:noway: But no-one is ever forced to participate in the celebrating/chocolate fest.

Most adults have a rough idea about what is "good" and what is "bad" nutrition - not all, of course, but that is not something you can personally solve. (Unless you give up your job and start giving free cookery classes.)
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    nvm...
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits?

Never. Please don't do this. It won't go over well.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I see this everyday in my office, someone always brings in bagels or donuts in the morning. Usually if I wanted I could find cake in the afternoon and there are three snack bars, with very little healthy choices.

I hardly ever indulge and if I do it's half of a bagel or donut or a small piece of cake, if I don't bring in any money I can't buy anything from the snack bar.

And I never say anything to my colleagues, it's none of my business. I do congratulate whoever the party is for and come out to sing, etc. They usually don't care whether you eat or not, it's the celebration that counts.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    The only error I see is in the way you think.

Maybe if you elaborate you could teach me something...

Seems like most of the responses have covered it.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The fastest way to end up lonely is to play the 'holier than thou' card. It's none of anyones business how others live.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    looks like completely normal office behavior to me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    They probably don't realise.....or care.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If they cared, they know. If they wanted to do that and cared they'd figure out how to accomodate.

What I'm wondering is why you care so much.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The only error I see is in the way you think.

Maybe if you elaborate you could teach me something...
    You assume they care.

There is your error.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    If you think that what you do or don't eat makes you better than others, you have a lot more to worry about than counting calories.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work?

That's vast majority of offices everywhere.
    Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

Yes, people LOVE it when you point out the "error in their eating habits." LMAO

Maybe it's just me, but I've gained and lost 8 gabillion pounds (approximately) in my lifetime and I know how easy it is for dedication to slip and one missed workout is two, is three, is 365 and counting, calories start to add up and the pounds you thought were gone forever are back with a bunch of their friends. Statistically 95% of us are going to gain our weight back.

So until I successfully and consistently remain at my goal weight for the rest of my life, I'm keeping my big fat yapper shut on others food choices.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    When I worked for the postal service, the break table in the back of the workroom always had a box of donuts. One woman as well as the postmaster would bring in all leftover cake from birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Since we aren't supposed to keep tips or gifts from customers, there were fruit baskets and boxes of chocolates every holiday, as well. Every employee birthday was celebrated with a full-on potluck, crudities, dips, cakes, sloppy joes or pulled barbecue pork sandwiches, candy....in my 23 years there, I'd say it was normal to gain 4 or 5 lbs. a year working there, every year. I didn't becasue I was active on the farm, but some did.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

Seriously? There is no "error" in anyone's eating habits, as long as they are satisfied with themselves. I hate that people are so judgy, you wonder why self-esteem issues exist.

Like MA said, let them eat cake.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Not REALLY your business what people eat. Just because we're participating in a healthy eating way of life, doesn't mean everyone around us is.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people eat. Also, you don't know what those same people eat the rest of the time. Maybe they aren't eating anything outside what you see them eating in the office today. It's fairly common for intuitive eater types to indulge for one meal or one period of the day then not eat the rest of the day. My bf only eats once or twice a day, and if you just saw the meals he eats, you would marvel at how massive and calorie dense they are and wonder why he's not a gordo. Conversely, he thinks I "never eat" because I eat smaller meals, but I eat more than him because I eat about 5 times a day.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    They could burn some of it off if they dance with the "chicken strippers"

I was thinking the same thing!!!

But regardless.... man, I would totally enjoy that day!

One of my favorite things about my job is the fact that entertaining clients (usually with lunches / dinners / happy hours) is extremely common. And it's all top notch food.... When I first started getting in shape, I would dread it because I really had the wrong mindset. I thought I COULDN'T have any of those things anymore.

What I learned is that I can have any and all of the things I had before, and didn't need to deprive myself of anything. It's all about moderation, planning, and allowing the foods you want to eat.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.

Aesthetics is purely about appearance. It has nothing to do with health, laziness, fitness or anything other than outward appearance. I am glad that you are passionate about what you are doing, but saying you feel sorry for people who don't care about aesthetics is immature IMO. You are not even 21 yet! There are more important things in life than appearance.