I wonder if they realise…

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

Seriously? There is no "error" in anyone's eating habits, as long as they are satisfied with themselves. I hate that people are so judgy, you wonder why self-esteem issues exist.

Like MA said, let them eat cake.

I would disagree that there is no error in eating habits just because someone cares little enough to be satisfied. Certainly not everyone indulging has bad eating habits in general, but if this is a typical office many do. Obesity and poor diet related diseases are a huge financial burden to everyone.

Then I think you should go up to everyone in your office and tell them their eating cake at a birthday party is such a financial burden to you. By the same thought process, you might want to tell everyone with cancer that paying for their life-saving treatments costs makes your healthcare premiums rise. Let me know how that goes over.

I'm not following you. How does knowing that they have an error in eating habits logically flow to pointing out the high cost of cancer treatment to someone afflicted with cancer??
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that so many people on here are telling you not to judge others for their lifestyle choices, yet on the forum I see people judging others for what they eat all.the.time, regardless of if some one asked for advice or not. rme

Anyway, this happens at my office all the time. I've commented on it before. Seeing a bunch of overweight women digging into a box of cupcakes is an excellent reminder of why I shouldn't eat those foods.

The people who are posting that she shouldn't judge her co-workers aren't the people who judge what people are putting into their mouths on this site. The people who preach that GMO foods are bad, you can't have pizza, can't drink diet coke, can't have gluten, have to have everything be clean, etc., etc., are the ones who judge, and most of the posters in this thread who don't concern themselves with their co-worker's dietary habits are the same ones who have realized that they can indulge once in a while and even incorporate these foods into their diets within their calorie and macro needs.

There is a lot more judging on MFP than just the GMO and pizza is bad crowd. There is the "you need to eat more" crowd. And the "you don't get enough protein" crowd. And the "you eat too many carbs" crowd. And so on and so forth.
    Generally when people ask for feedback on what they're doing. Unsolicited is an entirely different thing.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that so many people on here are telling you not to judge others for their lifestyle choices, yet on the forum I see people judging others for what they eat all.the.time, regardless of if some one asked for advice or not. rme

Anyway, this happens at my office all the time. I've commented on it before. Seeing a bunch of overweight women digging into a box of cupcakes is an excellent reminder of why I shouldn't eat those foods.

The people who are posting that she shouldn't judge her co-workers aren't the people who judge what people are putting into their mouths on this site. The people who preach that GMO foods are bad, you can't have pizza, can't drink diet coke, can't have gluten, have to have everything be clean, etc., etc., are the ones who judge, and most of the posters in this thread who don't concern themselves with their co-worker's dietary habits are the same ones who have realized that they can indulge once in a while and even incorporate these foods into their diets within their calorie and macro needs.

There is a lot more judging on MFP than just the GMO and pizza is bad crowd. There is the "you need to eat more" crowd. And the "you don't get enough protein" crowd. And the "you eat too many carbs" crowd. And so on and so forth.

I am part of the moderation group
  • bcattoes
    Options

Generally when people ask for feedback on what they're doing. Unsolicited is an entirely different thing.

I agree. People from the groups I mentioned and others give unsolicited feedback.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to chill a little. Just because people bring in sweets it does NOT mean they are shoving them in your mouth. what we put in our bodies is our own decision. So if they want the junk they will have it. If they want to pass on it they will pass on it. If they want an opinion or a calorie estimate of the indulging they will ask or figure it out :smile:

My work has tons of cakes and cookies around all the time. I sit in my office with my bottle of water and protein bar and munch on apples and bananas during the day with a whole grain sandwich or a wrap. It's all about our OWN choices. We can judge all we want but it still does not make a difference in what other people choose to put in their bodies :flowerforyou:
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Im a nursing student. I see my female classmates consume far beyond their daily requirement. How do you think I feel?

Would you turn away a nurses care because she was overweight? Does that make them less educated or qualified? Your weight does not dictate work performance.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    1500 calories really isn't a big deal to some of us...

Especially if it's once a year, as birthdays tend to be.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    My workplace is awful with respect to tempting treats lying on top of every filing cabinet. It's not just birthdays. Every time some one goes on vacation, there is a ritual to bring back cookies and sweets from the destination.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought a couple of those would have more calories than you listed, like the chocolate fudge cake.

But I get your point - if you're a person who DO counts calories, it is often shocking to see the actual content on things. And I think, "I ate these things before and quite often. I'm surprised I'm not twice my size".
    It sounds like your office is particularly unhealthy though, last time I witnessed a "feast" like that was at a child's birthday party. I thought it was common to move on to more "grown up" snacks. My office is quite healthy, most people have salads for lunch, occasionally a sandwich and a glass of white wine every Friday.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Absolutly I have seen this in the work place at varous clients. I tend to bring flowers and fruit /almonds as gifts to clients. There are just so many ways to mark a special day.

One of my favorite clients is a diabetic. It is very important to remember that while some of us might just not feel quite well after so much food, it is deadly to others.

"No Thank you" is a great phrase to have at the tip of your tongue in such offices.

I do the same thing............we have a service here in St Louis where you can get fresh fruit delivery weekly so this is what I do or some macadamia nuts, almonds, etc. Fresh flowers are always nice.

And if you don't feel well after eating particular foods.........one needs to examine themselves and why they would partake in foods that make them feel less than stellar.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.

I feel sorry for you, for not being able to properly enjoy your 21st birthday!! :tongue:

My 21st included an amazing dinner with all my friends at Red Lobster (I believe I ordered the coconut shrimp) and a few drinks there, then back to the house for jaegerbombs. It was a rockin' good time, and probably the last birthday I've had that was one.

I mean, it's noble and all that you've decided to forego holiday binge-eating and don't make any excuses to skip workouts, but you're toeing a very, very fine line between being healthy and being elitist here.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    How many calories they are clocking up. Today it is one of my colleagues birthdays, although all birthdays are special, it isn’t a big one so to speak. She is turning 27 and to celebrate she brought in a selection of cakes and treats and asked a handful of her favourite colleagues to have a dominos for lunch. Then another colleague brought in a load of chocolate ice-creams since it’s great weather here in Glasgow today.
    Now I realise the girl whose Birthday it is has every right to indulge on her special day however I wonder if the others realise quite how many calories they are clocking up whilst indulging with her. I can’t imagine over indulging to that extend in my work place, particularly a fairly sedatory drawing office. A quick round up of the calories is below but boy it seems extreme!! I feel slightly like an outsider since I don’t usually participate in the lunches these guys have in the office but I’d rather feel a little lonely than feel bloated, tired and moody after eating all that rubbish!!!
    Chocolate fudge cake: 344 kcals, 19g fat, 40g carb, 13g sugar
    Half a dominos pizza: 750 kcals, 20g fat, 90g carb, 13g sugar
    2 Chicken strippers: 224 kcals, 12g fat, 13g carb, 8g sugar
    Chocolate icecream: 220 kcals, 15g fat, 19g carb, 18g sugar
    Total: 1520 kcals, 66g fat, 162g carb, 67g sugar

Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

Well you dont have to indulge OP.

Let the girl and her friends enjoy her birthday, whether it is a "big" one or not, it only happens once per year.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I work in a very heavy feeder/ snacking office as im surrounded by developers and people who spend the whole day at a desk.

I started off being a food snob saying no to everything then realised it wasn't having the best effect on my self esteem with negative comments from people nor my working relationships so i took a different approach.

If it fits your macros! you can have that small piece of cake or cookie so long as it fits in with the rest of your intake and once evert so often indulging isn't going to kill you theres reasoning to believe that shocking your body with a different quantity of food can boost weight loss.

don't let food dictate your life or behaviours it isn't the enemy if people are scared of binging by having one piece of cake they're A not eating properly or B they have some issues they need dealing with in regards to having a healthy relationship with food.

this.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.

Aesthetics is purely about appearance. It has nothing to do with health, laziness, fitness or anything other than outward appearance. I am glad that you are passionate about what you are doing, but saying you feel sorry for people who don't care about aesthetics is immature IMO. You are not even 21 yet! There are more important things in life than appearance.

I like you!!....VERY wise:smile:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Im a nursing student. I see my female classmates consume far beyond their daily requirement. How do you think I feel?

Would you turn away a nurses care because she was overweight? Does that make them less educated or qualified? Your weight does not dictate work performance.

Is that what I said? No, I am going to go into detail now. I said nothing about care or did I talk about education

overweight =/= indicator of health. when they reach obesity it is a different story.

Having pudge does not cause health problems and if anything being in the healthy bf% would be more beneficial of being lean in terms of trauma and damage to the body.
    Adipose has another function other than stored energy. It cushions.
    In our modern world it can be beneficial to have pudge due to high impact blows due to speed of motor vehicles. The stored energy of the body has become meaningless with the changes.

My point is that someone who is a medical professional should not be obese. It is hypocritical of them to be in that state.
    When I was going off to nursing school I dropped 50 lbs in the course of 6 months. You are supposed to be an example for people of proper self health management and that cannot be attained if you are obese
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In addition to judging them, you're making unqualified assumptions. What makes you think a majority of them don't go to the gym after work and do 45 minutes on the elliptical?
    I know a lot of people in my office go to the gym regularly because working in an office like that is common and deadly to your weight and they know it. But they're enjoying themselves. Even if a woman is very overweight, I would never look at her eating a piece of cake and judge. She knows what she's doing, and it doesn't affect me.
    Some people also have eating problems and just can't help themselves. I would never dream of genuinely judging someone for what they eat. LET THEM HAVE CAKE.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on myself and don't worry about such things unless I'm being pressured or serially tempted to eat food that's inconsistent with my diet and fitness goals. (Notice I didn't add any drama -- I didn't call it "junk food," or "evil food" or "non-clean food", it's simply food that I shouldn't be eating.)

People will either figure it out or they won't. Or one day the level of obesity and attendant costs may be so high that there will be explicit societal disincentives to weight gain.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I feel sorry for you, for not being able to properly enjoy your 21st birthday!! :tongue:

My 21st included an amazing dinner with all my friends at Red Lobster (I believe I ordered the coconut shrimp) and a few drinks there, then back to the house for jaegerbombs. It was a rockin' good time, and probably the last birthday I've had that was one.

I mean, it's noble and all that you've decided to forego holiday binge-eating and don't make any excuses to skip workouts, but you're toeing a very, very fine line between being healthy and being elitist here.

I find both of these posts immature. One because it suggests that outward appearance is the most important thing in life. The other because it suggests that overindulgence and/or getting plastered on a 21st birthday is required for proper enjoyment.

No matter how attractive you are, there will always be those that think someone else more attractive. And it’s okay to stick your goals on a birthday. Enjoyment is a purely personal thing. No matter what you believe is “proper enjoyment”, there will always be someone that thinks otherwise.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    UH-OH!!! Pack up your foodz! The fun police have arrived!!!

LOL, seriously, maybe they just don't give a crap. Focus on YOU.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    How many calories they are clocking up. Today it is one of my colleagues birthdays, although all birthdays are special, it isn’t a big one so to speak. She is turning 27 and to celebrate she brought in a selection of cakes and treats and asked a handful of her favourite colleagues to have a dominos for lunch. Then another colleague brought in a load of chocolate ice-creams since it’s great weather here in Glasgow today.
    Now I realise the girl whose Birthday it is has every right to indulge on her special day however I wonder if the others realise quite how many calories they are clocking up whilst indulging with her. I can’t imagine over indulging to that extend in my work place, particularly a fairly sedatory drawing office. A quick round up of the calories is below but boy it seems extreme!! I feel slightly like an outsider since I don’t usually participate in the lunches these guys have in the office but I’d rather feel a little lonely than feel bloated, tired and moody after eating all that rubbish!!!
    Chocolate fudge cake: 344 kcals, 19g fat, 40g carb, 13g sugar
    Half a dominos pizza: 750 kcals, 20g fat, 90g carb, 13g sugar
    2 Chicken strippers: 224 kcals, 12g fat, 13g carb, 8g sugar
    Chocolate icecream: 220 kcals, 15g fat, 19g carb, 18g sugar
    Total: 1520 kcals, 66g fat, 162g carb, 67g sugar

The only thing i understand is how you can be upset that the work place is CLOGGED with people making bad decisions for their health.
    what I dont understand is why the big fuss over someone's birthday and how THEY celebrate it? Girl - if you think 1500 calories is bad for a birthday celebration, you havent seen mine!!!!
    Its a birthday! Some people find them to be a HUGE celebration, some not.
    i'd say not worry about it.
    To each his own!