I wonder if they realise…

Options

Replies

• pegasus218
    Options
    I find it ironic that so many people on here are telling you not to judge others for their lifestyle choices, yet on the forum I see people judging others for what they eat all.the.time, regardless of if some one asked for advice or not. rme

Anyway, this happens at my office all the time. I've commented on it before. Seeing a bunch of overweight women digging into a box of cupcakes is an excellent reminder of why I shouldn't eat those foods.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Personal choices are exactly that. Judge not and be not judged.

^This^. But I'll change a little bit of the above. Judge if you want, but its probably best to keep the judgment to yourself and recognize that even in fitness and nutrition...perception is not reality.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds very similar to my office! I only ever over-indulged at work (never at weekends or at home) and, since joining this company, I gained over 80lbs in 5-6 years!!! Never in my life was I fat before I started this desk job and, before I knew it, I was obese :noway:

The over-indulging was probably about 3-4 times a week on average. Big lunches, cakes, cookies, more lunches, chocolates, candy, donuts etc. It is an unwritten rule at work that you should bring in cakes for any event (birthday, wedding, new baby, pregnancy, completing a charity run, going on holiday, returning from holiday, being off sick and so on). I am seriously not exaggerating. Plus, the management always buy us cakes or sugary treats as a 'morale' booster or reward when the IT systems go down or just generally because they think we are performing well...

It means most days there is a buffet of free deliciousness laid out in the office.

I stopped participating in the daily work feasting rituals when I began my weight loss journey. But it is still a big temptation to help myself to the goodies. I also feel that some of my collegues resent me for not being how I used to be.

I really, really wish that there wasn't so much temptation around me at work but that's life.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The only time I really think like this is when my co-workers give me the glare of judgement when I pass on something they think it absolutely irresistible or when they tell me they're "worried about me" when I pass up on the take-out they've bought the whole office when I've brought my own lunch. Those are the times that frustrate me. I choose my splurges, not the people surrounding me. Other than that, I don't really care what they eat.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How many calories they are clocking up. Today it is one of my colleagues birthdays, although all birthdays are special, it isn’t a big one so to speak. She is turning 27 and to celebrate she brought in a selection of cakes and treats and asked a handful of her favourite colleagues to have a dominos for lunch. Then another colleague brought in a load of chocolate ice-creams since it’s great weather here in Glasgow today.
    Now I realise the girl whose Birthday it is has every right to indulge on her special day however I wonder if the others realise quite how many calories they are clocking up whilst indulging with her. I can’t imagine over indulging to that extend in my work place, particularly a fairly sedatory drawing office. A quick round up of the calories is below but boy it seems extreme!! I feel slightly like an outsider since I don’t usually participate in the lunches these guys have in the office but I’d rather feel a little lonely than feel bloated, tired and moody after eating all that rubbish!!!
    Chocolate fudge cake: 344 kcals, 19g fat, 40g carb, 13g sugar
    Half a dominos pizza: 750 kcals, 20g fat, 90g carb, 13g sugar
    2 Chicken strippers: 224 kcals, 12g fat, 13g carb, 8g sugar
    Chocolate icecream: 220 kcals, 15g fat, 19g carb, 18g sugar
    Total: 1520 kcals, 66g fat, 162g carb, 67g sugar

Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

I think part of it is that most people don't really care about calories unless they have a weight problem. Most of the people I know who are naturally thin and under 30 seem to see it that way. I sometimes would like to say something on nonspecial occasions, though- at my new job we literally can not take the stairs to our cubicles, we are that sedentary. And on top of that, it seems like someone is always handing out food to others, because "you need to try this!" or celebrating friday with fast food orders, or having a giant pot luck over something. When we meet work goals, we are given junk food, individually or as a group.

The problem I have with this isn't even related to weight, it's more that it's kind of an indicator of how messed up my job is- it seems like people are mostly eating out of mind numbing boredom, or to have something to bond over, or because junk food is cheaper than antidepressants and they hate their jobs.

The thing is, I don't think the culture at my company has to be so miserable while also promoting false cheerfulness, or that it needs to be so food centric, but I often make the excuse of counting calories not to indulge, and I don't want to sound like one of those annoying people that wants the whole world to go on a diet with me, you know?

On the bright side, I think most people don't realize how many calories most activities burn, either, especially walking indoors like at the mall.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Chicken Strippers?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I work in an office with my mom. (Yes, seriously... she's awesome). Strangers I wouldn't give a you-know-what about... Live and let live and all that... BUT I wish I didn't have to see my mom do it. She's obese, diabetes runs in our family, and she has so many health problems. I just can't wrap my head around why she chooses to eat out every day (sometimes breakfast, lunch, and dinner). I had got sucked into the lifestyle before, which is why I'm here. But we can't make others change. All we can be is supportive. My mom may tell me that she wants/ needs to lose weight every single day... but until she is ready to make the changes for herself, there's not much else I can do. So, please, don't judge your co-workers. There could be a million things going on in their life that you don't know about. For some people, food is the one constant in their life, the one thing they take pleasure in. And, no, many of them probably don't realize how many calories they are eating. I certainly never thought I was eating between 3000-5000 calories a day!
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's what's wrong with all of us. We ear way too much crap. I also see this. I participate if asked. I would eat a big salad from home. One piece of piazza. And just a very small piece of cake. Or sometimes I just take a bite of everything. Its fun to be included but I am responsible for what I eat. The girls actually respect this and sometimes they eat with me. We eat salad fruit etc. Cant be the food police or they'll resent you. I bring healthy snacks and they actually ask me if they can have some. Actions speaklouder than words
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Do any of you guys witness such indulgencies in your place of work? Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits? I haven’t and don’t intend to but would love to hear your stories.

Seriously? There is no "error" in anyone's eating habits, as long as they are satisfied with themselves. I hate that people are so judgy, you wonder why self-esteem issues exist.

Like MA said, let them eat cake.

This! It really isn't your place to judge anyone's food choices. You are assuming that your colleagues share the same veiws as you and have the same goals as you which is silly. Just because you don't indulge doesn't mean everyone else has, or needs to feel the same. That does not mean there is anything wrong with them. I for one could easily fit that type of indulgence into my calorie goals. I maintain at 2500 to 3000 calories, I am pretty sure my day wouldn't be perfect with that amount of sugar, but I could easily stay below calories. A day here and there of endulging is not the end of the world and it won't undo any hard work as long as it doesn't become an everyday thing.

Worry about yourself, keep your judgements to yourself and let your colleagues eat cake! If you do plan on saying something, you might also want to look for another job. It is also a normal occurance in most work places so if it bothers you tjat much you might want to work from home.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    LOL That sounds like most days in my office. Seriously, for a healthcare organization it is shocking how some of these people eat!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sorry for them.

Aesthetics is purely about appearance. It has nothing to do with health, laziness, fitness or anything other than outward appearance. I am glad that you are passionate about what you are doing, but saying you feel sorry for people who don't care about aesthetics is immature IMO. You are not even 21 yet! There are more important things in life than appearance.
    Well technically I'm 21 as of 10 hours ago so idk why you're saying I'm not 21 yet. Aesthetics aren't the only thing in life that matter but it's made a huge difference in my life. Just through day to day life people treat you differently. Of course there are the obvious ones like people at the gym asking for tips and advice but there's much more than that. Last week I was walking over to my therapy group and it was hot out so I took my shirt off and some girl comes up to me and asks about my diet/exercise. Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that so many people on here are telling you not to judge others for their lifestyle choices, yet on the forum I see people judging others for what they eat all.the.time, regardless of if some one asked for advice or not. rme

Anyway, this happens at my office all the time. I've commented on it before. Seeing a bunch of overweight women digging into a box of cupcakes is an excellent reminder of why I shouldn't eat those foods.

The people who are posting that she shouldn't judge her co-workers aren't the people who judge what people are putting into their mouths on this site. The people who preach that GMO foods are bad, you can't have pizza, can't drink diet coke, can't have gluten, have to have everything be clean, etc., etc., are the ones who judge, and most of the posters in this thread who don't concern themselves with their co-worker's dietary habits are the same ones who have realized that they can indulge once in a while and even incorporate these foods into their diets within their calorie and macro needs.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

The people who are posting that she shouldn't judge her co-workers aren't the people who judge what people are putting into their mouths on this site. The people who preach that GMO foods are bad, you can't have pizza, can't drink diet coke, can't have gluten, have to have everything be clean, etc., etc., are the ones who judge, and most of the posters in this thread who don't concern themselves with their co-worker's dietary habits are the same ones who have realized that they can indulge once in a while and even incorporate these foods into their diets within their calorie and macro needs.

QFT. Well put.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Seriously? There is no "error" in anyone's eating habits, as long as they are satisfied with themselves. I hate that people are so judgy, you wonder why self-esteem issues exist.

I would disagree that there is no error in eating habits just because someone cares little enough to be satisfied. Certainly not everyone indulging has bad eating habits in general, but if this is a typical office many do. Obesity and poor diet related diseases are a huge financial burden to everyone.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Well technically I'm 21 as of 10 hours ago so idk why you're saying I'm not 21 yet. Aesthetics aren't the only thing in life that matter but it's made a huge difference in my life. Just through day to day life people treat you differently. Of course there are the obvious ones like people at the gym asking for tips and advice but there's much more than that. Last week I was walking over to my therapy group and it was hot out so I took my shirt off and some girl comes up to me and asks about my diet/exercise. Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.

seriously??? "aspie" is a really nice word - I hope the majority of the people on this site don't know what it means. :noway: while I understand that you feel you're treated better because you're in shape, I truly hope that you don't hinge your life and self-esteem on what others think of you. And I also truly hope you don't look down upon others for the choices that they make.

- Spoken by someone who doesn't preach GMO foods are bad, doesn't say you can't have pizza, can have gluten, etc. etc.
  • bcattoes
    Options

There is a lot more judging on MFP than just the GMO and pizza is bad crowd. There is the "you need to eat more" crowd. And the "you don't get enough protein" crowd. And the "you eat too many carbs" crowd. And so on and so forth.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Eh, I ate about 3500 calories on Sunday. I ate 2400 calories yesterday, and I have only a 450 calorie surplus as of this morning (covering the past two days).

So what if people indulge themselves once in a while?
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I would disagree that there is no error in eating habits just because someone cares little enough to be satisfied. Certainly not everyone indulging has bad eating habits in general, but if this is a typical office many do. Obesity and poor diet related diseases are a huge financial burden to everyone.

Then I think you should go up to everyone in your office and tell them their eating cake at a birthday party is such a financial burden to you. By the same thought process, you might want to tell everyone with cancer that paying for their life-saving treatments costs makes your healthcare premiums rise. Let me know how that goes over.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I think that I've just become so nutritionally minded and a bit obsessed with calories that I do notice these things at work or anywhere. I don't really care what they do, but I do notice- and I don't think that its "judgey" to notice and think about these things. We don't have alot of birthday celebrations as much as we have our vendors bring us tons of food. Every week at least. This morning a vendor brought us all Chick-Fil-A for breakfast. I don't really get annoyed at that or the food choices of those around me as I do my own lack of control.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I feel slightly like an outsider since I don’t usually participate in the lunches these guys have in the office but I’d rather feel a little lonely than feel bloated, tired and moody after eating all that rubbish!!!

If you feel 'slightly like an outsider' now, try saying something to your colleagues, uninvited, about their eating habits. It's just not your place, unless they want advice. That birthday meal sounds indulgent and yummy to me. I finished last week with a big enough deficit I could have eaten that meal and still lost weight this week. Not necessarily on purpose, it was just my first week on MFP and I'm adjusting from what I was doing before. My point is, you have no idea what they were doing the rest of the day or week, or the next week to adjust for it. And unless your business card says 'food police' I wouldn't pay so much attention to what they are eating.