Strong women are intimidating

Options
124»

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    1. Who cares? Do it for you.

2. Any guy intimidated by that ain't worth having.

3. Maybe you'll meet a fellow lifter. At least you'll have something in common.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't think she asked for advice. I think he just hit her with it.

Yup, this is indeed what happened. Asking for dating advice from my younger brother is the last thing I'd do. He DOES ask ME for dating advice every now and then. I posted a picture of my PB on Facebook, and I got a WhatsApp a few hours later telling me it won't help me find a man (I'm not even really *looking* for one) because it's intimidating. He has lots of friends who are great guys who would find it intimidating.

Then he got offended because I called his friends idiots.

*shrug*

THANK YOU ALL
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    tufel wrote: »
    How are you going to carry a kid for nine months and push him out if you aren't strong? How are you going to carry a kid on your hip -- maybe two -- if you aren't strong?
    Sorry. Couldn't resist...

Did I miss something?

Person is trying to be funny. And failing epically.

OP,good job on the 200# deadlift!! Youre brother is a moron. You'll find a guy (or girl if its your thing lol) who thinks you're awesome. I'm jealous of your deadlift number

I believe you are completely misconstruing my intent.
    I was simply pointing out the artificiality and absurdity of this notion that women must be delicate and dainty.
    For the major part of human history life has been hard and physically demanding -- perhaps more so for women than men, given that they give birth to children and have the greater responsibility for weening, raising and caring for those children.
    So, naturally, when male looked around for mate, stronger was better. It was true in the caves. It was true in the Viking Age and the Old West. And that ingrained, biological imperative means it is still true now, though to a lesser degree.
    I was simply apologizing for chiming in on a topic about women. I am a male. It is not my place to tell women how they should feel about something. Therefore, I was a bit self-conscious about making my statement.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    Apparently.

Having just been told by my younger brother that basically I will die alone because being able to deadlift 100kg (220#) as a woman is not a good thing. It's intimidating and scary, so I'm told. Lots of good men will run away from me because I can lift. He's just completely ruined my happy PB mood :'(

So, here I am, looking for proof that it is not true and that not every man on the planet wants a girl who is just about able to lift a teacup. Tell me not to listen to negativity because being able to deadlift 100kg is awesome and I am awesome.

I've had more negativity from my family than from anyone else. It's demoralising in some ways, but the defiant spirit in me now wants to try for 105 next weekend and then wave it their faces. I am doing this for me, not to be attractive to the opposite sex. But it's always good to know that my strength choices won't ACTUALLY mean I will die alone...

Not even close. I find it very sexy to see a woman who lifts. Intimidation comes from attitude, not what you can do. Don’t let him push his insecurities on you. Mature, stable men won’t be concerned if you can deadlift more than them. In fact, most men will push themselves to get stronger themselves.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Men LOVE strong women. They don't have to open jars, or help us with trivial things. We can move furniture, often quicker than other men.

Your brother needs to just turn over on the sofa.

I truly believe lifting increases ability to utilize cognition and brain power.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My very elegant, refined mother is quite strong. Dad is proud of that fact, and considers it a bragging point.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My husband is the one who taught me to deadlift and use the squat rack...So no, and any 'man' that wouldn't date you because you are strong isn't worth dating IMHO.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Girl, how did I miss this until now? Sorry to be late to the party.

You know what? I've been turned down for dates because boys didn't like the fact that I CrossFit. They actually told me it's intimidating.

At first I was like....I'm going to die alone. But then I was like...so what. At least I'll die alone with healthy muscle mass and stronger bones. :D

And, the reality is, there are a lot of men who LOVE ladies who lift. I can think of 10 off the bat - and I get to work out with them every morning.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hold a world record for deadlift. I have a boyfriend. If a guy is intimidated he's not the one.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you got your answer!! lol. You know what is NOT sexy?? Someone who is way too young to have let themselves go to the point where they struggle to get in and out of a chair, climb steps or other day to day movements. Strong women are totally sexy. I wish I had realized this earlier...
  • I'm a guy and I have a lady friend who lifts (I'm not sure how much but I know it's a lot) and I thinks it's awesome. She's very attractive and knowing that she can kick my *kitten* doesn't scare me away haha.