Your tricks to 'embrace' the pain of your lifestyle changes?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    I think a lot of people just don't get that for some of us there's an over production of a hormone driving our hunger. Some of us are just hungrier than others. It doesn't matter that the deficit is tiny, that I'm careful to eat regularly and eat filling things, I could permanently eat a very hearty meal. Even an hour after just eating one.
    There have been studied into this and for some of us it's physically harder.

Your protein and fat are both really low. Boom, clap, that is probably why you think you get hungrier than everyone else.

Btw, I used to be someone who'd eat huge meals, like going for 3rds and 4ths. Simply eating reasonable amounts of protein and fat = no hunger outside of when I wait too long before a meal.

And not related to the question at hand, but your logging could really use some cleaning up. Just sayin. Might want to check out some of the stickies to see if any of them discuss how to log with more accuracy (otherwise I have a very brief outline of ways to log more accurately on my profile)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Why do people feel the need to flagellate thmselves? Use the website as it was intended, eat at an appropriate defecit. Voila! - where is this pain of which you speak?

because weight loss = self torture ….

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you might want to re-examine how you are viewing this process. why do you view it as painful? Are you working out multiple times a day, seven days a week? Are you restricting whole food groups because you think they are bad? are you restricting calorie intake to an insanely low amount? If the answer to any of these is yes then you are doing it wrong..

You can exercise, eat less, lose weight, be successful, and it does not have to feel like self torture…

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I hate feeling hungry so I eat something every three to four hours; this way I always have a full tummy. I used to think that I wasn't losing weight unless I was hungry (no pain, no gain), but that didn't work because inevitably I would end up overeating at some point. I have to keep the hunger away, so smaller more frequent meals work better for me. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you can eat as often as you like. Feeling hungry all the time is no fun.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I dont really have "pains" but more things i get annoyed with and try to avoid

Example...Buy a nice brand bag of almonds..i really like them. Next two time i come to the store they dont have them anymore..even worse only salted stuff. And i really need the unsalted ones. How to avoid the "pain"...last time i bought 2 pounds fresh at once and try to fill up as much as possible.

And hunger? no dont have it. I see it more as an appetite before a meal. And i also told myself to not be childish. I eat 5 times spread over the day, i really wont die in between when i wait till its dinner time. or lunch time.

76145189.png
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think it's a real pain to weigh and measure every little thing, it takes me way longer to cook a meal now. I cook a lot of meals from scratch, so I'm not talking about just throwing some meat and veggies on a plate.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I think it's a real pain to weigh and measure every little thing, it takes me way longer to cook a meal now. I cook a lot of meals from scratch, so I'm not talking about just throwing some meat and veggies on a plate.

prep before...
    I do the shopping once a week and when i come home i clean/cut/bag/freeze all my veggies/meat/fish and herbs and other food and write down on the bag how much it is.
    Saves time, but i also think its a small burden to take to get and stay healthy and lose weight.

76145189.png

• lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the mental habits can be hard to break. It can be like quitting smoking, its not necessarily the nicotine that makes you relapse cause once the chemicals are out, the habits are there (after eating, drinking, in the car, in the morning, etc). I can see where it may suck if its an embedded habit to eat crap or when you don't need to. If you always eat at your desk or while watching TV or when your upset that may suck to try to break the bad habits for a while. But you shouldn't feel hungry all the time either. If you do, you probably need to reevaluate some dietary choices. But once I broke my habits and figured out a regime that worked for me I felt so fantastic I couldn't believe I used to eat how I did!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

prep before...
    I do the shopping once a week and when i come home i clean/cut/bag/freeze all my veggies/meat/fish and herbs and other food and write down on the bag how much it is.
    Saves time, but i also think its a small burden to take to get and stay healthy and lose weight.

76145189.png

I don't do any of this but weighing all my ingredients really doesn't take much time. I made a macaroni casserole tonight for myself. "Pre-logged" all the ingredients I knew I'd want to use, then I chopped each one up and simply changed the weight on my app. I usually will keep the weight of a few ingredients in my head at a time before changing the weight. Might have added a minute or two to the entire process.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It really does not seem painful to me to limit my carbs and sugars and exercise 30 minutes or more daily. Once you get in the habit it is easy.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think she didn't mean physical pain as much as the figurative one of breaking the habit. My whole life I had lived by "when in doubt, eat". For comfort, out of boredom, because I was taught to never waste food, etc. I managed to keep my weight healthy until pregnancy, but it was one crash diet after another since I was 12 (so for 18 years). Losing weight is easy, especially with MFP, but changing life-long habits is not. OP raised an interesting topic, and I hope to see some opinions and ideas, rather than personal criticism.

My 2 cents:
    I aim for a very slow loss rate, try to surround myself with positive people, and keep myself busy, so the week-ends are usually the hardest days in terms of self-control.
    I noticed that having steak for breakfest keeps me very, very satisfied throughout the entire day. I'm running out of deer meat and starting to panick a little because I can't afford buying so much meat... Eggs and egg whites fried up with veggies also help a lot. It's very hard to make time for a good breakfast, but it's really helpful for me.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What pain? DOMS? Are you talking about DOMS? Make sure you're getting enough potassium and water.

That's pretty much the only pain my lifestyle has caused me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have such a tiny deficit, it's a pain to stick to it. . It's also a pain when I want something sweet after dinner and I can't because I've already hit my calories, so I either have it and go over or suffer and ignore my cravings.
    I don't mind weighing my food, and I enjoy logging.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

prep before...

76145189.png

Thank you, that is a fantastic idea. I have to cook for my family and I serve every thing restaurant style. I tend to give my husband and kids most of the meat and short change myself. The meat is what keeps me full. I may still have to make their meal and my exact same meal but if I weigh it beforehand it will be so much easier. Most of the prep is the same anyway, just separate mine, I get it. Brilliant, Thank you :smiley:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Wait - There's supposed to be pain?

I'm doin' it wrong then, I guess.

That's about what I was thinking. I have been fine with my weight loss/weight maintenance journey. The only painful thing was to realize how much I was eating in order to gain weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What pain? I am thankful that ife is good. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

It gets a lot easier once you have done it for a while. I cook everything from scratch too--it's doable.

Having a lot of measuring cups helps. So does having the appropriate-sized measuring scoop in containers. For example, I keep a 1/2 scoop in my oatmeal container as that is the serving size--voilà!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I too have turned to tea! Try Good Earth's Wild Chaild if you like cinnamon or Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel which is more of a cappuccino-ish type tea. They are soothing, zero calorie, and I look forward to them every night before bed.