Your tricks to 'embrace' the pain of your lifestyle changes?

Options

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think she didn't mean physical pain as much as the figurative one of breaking the habit. My whole life I had lived by "when in doubt, eat". For comfort, out of boredom, because I was taught to never waste food, etc. I managed to keep my weight healthy until pregnancy, but it was one crash diet after another since I was 12 (so for 18 years). Losing weight is easy, especially with MFP, but changing life-long habits is not. OP raised an interesting topic, and I hope to see some opinions and ideas, rather than personal criticism.......

I still think the biggest issue here is that people have completely unrealistic expectations where it comes to these things. People want immediate gratification...they just want to wake up one day and be healthy and fit and whatnot...they fail to really realize the process. Failure to realize the process is what causes this "pain."

When you understand that not only is this a process...but that the betterment of one's self is a life long process...this "pain" ceases. People just want to do a 180* overnight and be "done"...what they aren't realizing is that they are never done.

When you realize the process you realize freedom...you realize that it's ok to take baby steps...you realize that you're never going to be 100% perfect...you realize that it's ok to stumble and fall and get yourself back up again...you realize that the goal is simply to be a little better today than you were yesterday and to sleep well in the knowledge that you will crush it again tomorrow.

I like this. Very well stated.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The negativity toward the original post is so disappointing. People share their feelings on here for support. Saying things like "I don't have any pain" is not helpful. OF COURSE people are going to experience pain or discomfort when they are making changes in their lifestyle.

Oh but they can be helpful, because if you are making this painful how long are you actually going to stick with it? Weight loss / getting healthier does not require being in discomfort or pain.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't really find the process of losing weight painful. I'm sorry that you do. It can be obnoxious sometimes, but the end goal and progress I've made so far makes it worth it (for me). I think change in general can be tough, but once you realize how important and empowering reaching your goals and taking control of your health are, it's a lot less tough.

And 90% of the time, when I feel hungry, I drink water and the "hunger pains" go away. It's really common for thirst ques to feel like hunger ques.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The negativity toward the original post is so disappointing. People share their feelings on here for support. Saying things like "I don't have any pain" is not helpful. OF COURSE people are going to experience pain or discomfort when they are making changes in their lifestyle.

ummm no, the point that us "negative" people are making is that losing weight does not equal self torture, aka pain.

You can eat in a moderate deficit, hit your calorie/micro/macro goals, eat the foods you like, and exercise moderately and you will lose weight and reach your fitness goals...

the problem is when people equate dieting with having to cut out whole food groups, train seven days a week, two times a day, and think that they have to eat 1200 calories a day while training to excess...

• RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

ummm no, the point that us "negative" people are making is that losing weight does not equal self torture, aka pain.

You can eat in a moderate deficit, hit your calorie/micro/macro goals, eat the foods you like, and exercise moderately and you will lose weight and reach your fitness goals...

the problem is when people equate dieting with having to cut out whole food groups, train seven days a week, two times a day, and think that they have to eat 1200 calories a day while training to excess...

"UUmmm yes". Some people get quite strong hunger pains on a 250kcal/day deficit. I know because I do. I eat healthy, quality foods, high protein and fat, but I still get them. Some people do. Some people are different than you. So by your own admission, you are not qualified to advise on how to deal with these pains.

I would suggest playing with your meal pattern. E.g. if you eat 4 x 500kcal meals a day, try changing the timings if possible, or maybe 5 x 400kcals a day etc. I helps for me, a bit. I was never hungry in the morning so I just skip breakfast and my first meal is my Pre-WO at 10am. I can then use those calories later in the day. Eating the same amount of calories but I get less hunger pains.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't really find the process of losing weight painful. I'm sorry that you do. It can be obnoxious sometimes, but the end goal and progress I've made so far makes it worth it (for me). I think change in general can be tough, but once you realize how important and empowering reaching your goals and taking control of your health are, it's a lot less tough.

And 90% of the time, when I feel hungry, I drink water and the "hunger pains" go away. It's really common for thirst ques to feel like hunger ques.

CUES. My goodness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    RoToQ wrote: »

"UUmmm yes". Some people get quite strong hunger pains on a 250kcal/day deficit. I know because I do. I eat healthy, quality foods, high protein and fat, but I still get them. Some people do. Some people are different than you. So by your own admission, you are not qualified to advise on how to deal with these pains.

I would suggest playing with your meal pattern. E.g. if you eat 4 x 500kcal meals a day, try changing the timings if possible, or maybe 5 x 400kcals a day etc. I helps for me, a bit. I was never hungry in the morning so I just skip breakfast and my first meal is my Pre-WO at 10am. I can then use those calories later in the day. Eating the same amount of calories but I get less hunger pains.

ohhhhh really??

so because I do not equate weight loss with "pain" that makes me unqualified to comment?

what are your qualifications? The fact that a 250 calorie deficit gives you hunger pains makes you an expert, really?

how many calories a day are you consuming?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Why is not telling the truth helpful? Should I lie just to make someone else feel better about their experience? ;)

As to the bold part: this is a sweeping generalization and does not apply to everyone, and maybe not to as many people as you think. I did not feel pain or discomfort when I first started my weight loss journey here at MFP. I simply read up, made plans, started logging and weighing food and paying diligent attention, and was on my way.

As I said upstream, I felt pain when I realized how much I was eating to gain weight, and even that was tongue-in-cheek. To be truthful, I remember feeling pain years ago when I was severely restricting, engaged in an eating disorder (30 years ago after my mother died, went through treatment, no relapses), when the numbers on the scale were life and death, and when I have played mental games on myself about certain foods being evil and avoided at all costs. However, I brought on this psychological pain myself.

It was only when I went to IIFYM and watching my macros that I was able to become more comfortable in my skin and lose weight. Now, I'm at a healthy weight. However, even when maintaining weight you need to restrict calories, because making a habit of eating over your TDEE on a consistent basis leads to weight gain. That's why a lifestyle change is so important.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Nah, you're missing the point. Some of us, including me, believe that hunger is not painful, Hunger is natural. I would be surprised if anyone who is eating within a certain calorie goal is not hungry sometimes. It happens, but it's not painful to me.

Psychological pain for some? That's self-inflicted. If a person is having physical pain from being hungry, he or she needs to see a doctor because there could be a health condition going on.

As for your suggestion: that's pretty much generic and may work for you, but not for everyone.
  • Leggs617
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Ooci wrote: »
    I think a lot of people just don't get that for some of us there's an over production of a hormone driving our hunger. Some of us are just hungrier than others. It doesn't matter that the deficit is tiny, that I'm careful to eat regularly and eat filling things, I could permanently eat a very hearty meal. Even an hour after just eating one.
    There have been studied into this and for some of us it's physically harder.

To be completely honest, that sounds like a psychological issue rather than a physical one.

Speaking from a healthcare provider that has worked in Internal Medicine, and medical weight loss, IT IS A Hormonal thing. Everyone has a thyroid that acts differently. Just like some people have a higher sex drive, or some have depression. It is all about the hormones and if you have a thyroid that is under-active, you will be hungry a lot. This is why doctors will check your thyroid function before you go on a weight loss program or if you have tried to lose weight and have been unsuccessful. The thyroid is usually the culprit. So, before you assume its the persons attitude or addiction, try looking at it from a medical standpoint. WEBMD it!
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I really don't find anything sucky about eating well and rockin' my fitness. When I'm cutting I keep my deficit reasonable...I don't recall ever really having hunger pangs or anything...I mean basically to drop some weight all I have to do is cut out a snack or two to get me my 250 - 500 calorie per day deficit...EZ-PZ. I'm also a really good cook so my "healthy" foods all taste like awesomeness.

As exercise goes, I'm a former competitive athlete so I enjoy getting out and working on my fitness and challenging myself to go further, faster, and harder.

My biggest issue with cutting is that my fitness performance suffers somewhat and I can't crush it the same as I can at maintenance or really kill it like I can in a surplus.

This! This is exactly my feelings.

Truth be told if I get hungry, I eat. But instead of grabbing a snickers bar I grab 3oz of baby carrots. Because A) Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more filling (seriously) B) 35calories C)I stay full for longer. Though if chocolate is what I need, I cut off a slice of 72% chocolate from a bar. Really really just want some sugar? An orange is absolutely delicious. All else fails and that cookie is just staring me in the face? Eat it, log it, enjoy it.

For me it's come down to me making this a life long goal, so I opt for the healthier solution, but I am not going to ignore a craving. That's how you lose the ability to moderate.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Lots of different flavors of good quality tea. Lots of sugarless chewing gum. Big veggie salads with light dressing. Collection of really good music for workouts, *or* if you are like me and like electronica/dance, there are lots of awesome free internet radio stations that you can play through your phone and use ear buds. Working out to trance or happy hardcore etc is very energizing and helps take the boredom out of repetitive movements. A gym buddy to talk to also helps. In my case, that's my husband.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Ooci wrote: »
    I think a lot of people just don't get that for some of us there's an over production of a hormone driving our hunger. Some of us are just hungrier than others. It doesn't matter that the deficit is tiny, that I'm careful to eat regularly and eat filling things, I could permanently eat a very hearty meal. Even an hour after just eating one.
    There have been studied into this and for some of us it's physically harder.

To be completely honest, that sounds like a psychological issue rather than a physical one.

*shakes head* Leptin and Ghrelin are the hormones affecting this. Leptin is supposed to be secreted when you've had enough, and Ghrelin drives hunger and appetite. I've got issues as well. I combat the problem with lots of tea and chewing gum.

• gothchiq
    Options
    And as the person in healthcare above mentioned, thyroid hormones *can* also be a problem if they are not at the right levels. I've got firsthand experience of this.
  • RoToQ
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Nah, you're missing the point. Some of us, including me, believe that hunger is not painful, Hunger is natural. I would be surprised if anyone who is eating within a certain calorie goal is not hungry sometimes. It happens, but it's not painful to me.

Psychological pain for some? That's self-inflicted. If a person is having physical pain from being hungry, he or she needs to see a doctor because there could be a health condition going on.

As for your suggestion: that's pretty much generic and may work for you, but not for everyone.

Yea it works for me, hence me offering it as advice to the OP, rather than telling her shes not actually experiencing pain.

No, i'm not missing the point, just because I disagree with you. Hunger is pain, in varying degrees. We experience pain and discomfort to make us go eat. It wouldn't work if it was a nice feeling. It has to feel bad to do its job. You can dress it up how you want. No one said it was excruciating but hunger is not a pleasant feeling and can be quite painful when it gets stronger. Plenty of natural things are painful. Pain itself is natural! It's our bodys way of protecting us against injury, starvation, dehydration etc.
  • RoToQ
    Options

ohhhhh really??

so because I do not equate weight loss with "pain" that makes me unqualified to comment?

what are your qualifications? The fact that a 250 calorie deficit gives you hunger pains makes you an expert, really?

how many calories a day are you consuming?

No, if you never get hunger pains when you're eating a deficit, you can't advise the OP on how to embrace or deal with these pains. Simple.

I don't need advice from you, thanks. I know my body very well at this stage, and can plan my weight loss and gain quite effectively. That is not the issue here. Some people get hunger pains, if you don't good for you. We do, and it's good to have strategies to reduce or deal with them.
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am very jealous that so many MFP members find it so "easy" to make the right choices. I understand that the right choices are not complicated, as many of you have so often pointed out - just make a small deficit, make the cookie fit your macros, eat more protein, and so on.

But don't you ever just NOT WANT TO? I don't know how else to put it. I want a bagel for breakfast, pizza for lunch and pasta for dinner, and no, that absolutely will not fit my macros based on the amount of each type I will eat, with dessert to follow. It's not that those of us struggling don't have the knowledge on how to make this weight loss thing happen. I do want to lose weight and be healthy and all that jazz, but when I'm asking myself "what do I want for dinner tonight?" the answer will never be something that makes this whole thing easy.
  • laurab384
    laurab384 Posts: 75 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Meal timing is an excellent suggestion. I discovered that if I don't eat enough at night, I feel like I'm starving the next day...all.day.long. It doesn't matter how large a breakfast I have the next day, or if I eat more frequently. If I don't get enough food at night, the next day is awful.

This is so me! If I don't have an evening snack I am STARVING in the morning and I feel like I spend the day trying to catch up with the hunger. Those are days I usually end up with like 200 calories left by dinner time.

But with an evening snack I wake up barely hungry and a small breakfast keeps me going until lunch.

Also I find plain water on an empty stomach makes me feel ill. But tea or broth or even some lemon in the water helps fill me up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hunger is pain, in varying degrees. We experience pain and discomfort to make us go eat. It wouldn't work if it was a nice feeling. It has to feel bad to do its job.

I think that's oversimplifying. There are circumstances in which hunger is not bothersome at all. For example, I think it's pleasant to really work up an appetite before a food event I'm looking forward to, whether it's a special dinner out or going for a hike before grilling burgers or some such. Context and the awareness that you are going to get food (which we all are, even when dieting) make it not unpleasant. It will be unpleasant--even well before you are really that hungry--in circumstances in which you nervous about getting food, for example (since I'm lucky enough not to have been food insecure) if you get lost on a hike and start getting worried about how long it's going to take to get back and missing dinner.

Part of the struggle with dieting is that your mind blows up the lack of food when you are used to having it--even the perceived deprivation when you aren't actually missing any meals or snacks you used to eat--into an idea that you are hungry and, if it's normal pre meal hunger, that it's too unpleasant to wait an hour or so.

I do think the trick to this is waiting it out, getting used to it, changing your perception of it. Some people seem like they are too afraid of any signs of hunger, as if that's not normal or something that must be fixed immediately. Of course, another option is, as another poster suggested, if you are hungry, eat. I did this when struggling with perceived hunger at times I used to eat but when I no longer wished to eat (between meals). I simply ate low calorie foods like raw veggies. If it's really hunger, this should be the answer. If this isn't satisfying, that's more reason to think it's not really physiological in cause.

As for whether they actually experience it differently, impossible to know. But given that we are talking about short term hunger (how long between meals?) it's hard for me to think it's really that painful for physiological reasons as opposed to psychological ones (unless a deficit is really too extreme). At night seems different, so I'd personally try to time meals so as to avoid nighttime hunger.

Obviously, though, medical causes (including the thyroid, which can affect weight loss anyway) should be checked out if it's a major issue and could be present in some. I'm kind of against how quick some doctors are to prescribe hunger management drugs, however.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I feel hungry after eating, and that's with eating lots of fat, protein etc. I eat 2 boiled eggs per day to help curb the hunger.

I am doing IIFYM and am cutting 20-25%. I used to average 2300 calories a day (I'm 5'10, 27 y.o. female, and 197 lbs). On bad days I'd hit 2500 but rarely more than that unless I went to the Cheesecake Factory (once every five years).

I'm now eating 1800 and my energy levels have taken a serious hit. I think I'm supposed to just live with this but that is why I have come on here for commiseration and advice.

I also exercise and love the feeling of DOMs. I rest up, drink tonnes of water and can't wait to get back out there. My problem is I probably don't exercise enough. I only bike 15 miles a week (to and from school) and walk to the grocery store twice (5 miles per week). I haven't felt DOMs since doing P90x.

maybe consider reducing your cut.