I cannot gain weight.. CANT DO IT ;(

Options
my metabolism is ridicules... I have like no fat on my body but eat a ton of food all the time and noting works? I drink ensure, boosts, muscle milk... I don't know what else to do?

Replies

• lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out what your maintenance is and eaten over it?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Do you eat that in addition to regular food?? I'm assuming you do? Anyways how much do you weigh, what do you want to weigh, and what is your current total caloric intake, and other macros?
  • hideho0327
    Options
    I'm down to 103 pounds and need to gain weight too. I need help to maintain and gain.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What one thing could you try this week that you haven't done yet?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    hideho0327 wrote: »
    I'm down to 103 pounds and need to gain weight too. I need help to maintain and gain.

Not sure what you mean by maintain AND gain, do you mean gain and THEN maintain? That would make more sense. Again, just like I said earlier to the OP, how much do you want to weigh? It will take awhile for those who have difficulty gaining weight. What is your current total caloric intake? What is the breadown of your carbs, fat, and protein? These are the things all of us need to know before helping :). haha.

• PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Are you over exercising? If you eating insufficient calories and adding an additional deficit through strenuous exercise, weight will never go on. When an underweight person 'eats loads' it may not be calorie dense, but still apprears and feels like a lot. This is where you need to be brutally honest with yourself both in terms of food intake and calories spent.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Spend a few weeks at my house, you'll need a forklift to get out the door....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tiffany23k wrote: »
    I don't know what else to do?

eat more food.

eat higher calorie- less filling food.
    - candy bars- sodas- snacks- fries- burgers- pizza bagles- beer- ice cream

I know a guy who was blending slices of cheesecake into his smoothies because he was having such a hard time upping the calories.

odds are you aren't eating as much as you think you are- move away from the chicken and quinona and broccoli- eat that stuff- but round it out with OTHER things that are higher calorie- and not as filling.

my favorite is a big tall glass of 2% or full fat milk + 3-4 servings of ice cream with oreos crumbled on top- easily 900 calories and very easy to eat in less than 20 min and not insanely filling.

Come to the dark side.

And never leave home with out a big old bag of nuts and crackers or peanut butter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ice cream, bagels, cookies, bread, pasta, steak = problem solved
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - do you have a food scale and weigh all your solids? Like Jo said, you may think you are eating a lot but are actually not …

I know when I was bulking I would think "wow, this is a lot of food' and then log it all in and realize that I still need 400 calories to get all my calories in ...
  • tiffany23k
    Options
    I went through a depression and have anxiety so that doesn't help but I went to a very unhealthy weight of 89 lbs and then came back up to 102. My goal is to gain 20-30 lbs to be normal for once ! I've been too skinny whole life but I do not have any eating disorders and love food. The only problem I think I have is I rarely eat breakfast... I'm just not hungry when I wake up!!!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You should have a medical test to see if your thyroid is hyperactive. Is not normal for you to eat as much as you say and not gain weight.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The only problem I think I have is I rarely eat breakfast... I'm just not hungry when I wake up!!!

Would you be able to *drink* breakfast? Like some sort of shake/smoothie? You can get loads of delicious calories into those....

• TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Find maintenance calories
    Eat more than that
    Lift heavy things
    Sleep

It's really that simple.
    I used to think I had a "fast metabolism" too until I tracked what I was eating on a normal day.
    Consistency is also key.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I went through a depression and have anxiety so that doesn't help but I went to a very unhealthy weight of 89 lbs and then came back up to 102. My goal is to gain 20-30 lbs to be normal for once ! I've been too skinny whole life but I do not have any eating disorders and love food. The only problem I think I have is I rarely eat breakfast... I'm just not hungry when I wake up!!!

open your diary so people can get an idea of what you currently eat.

not eating breakfast isnt your problem, you're just not consuming enough calories.
  • ellusiveunicorn
    Options
    This app/site has helped me a lot. Sometimes when it's the end of the day and I'm writing down the foods I ate, I barely reach 1000 calories and I get confused because I'm not hungry and I felt fine through out the whole day. I immediately get a glass of milk and shove some food down my throat. Gaining weight is hard, and I know what you mean with depression and anxiety getting in the way (it makes me lose weight). I am finally at 98lbs and my goal is 103..more with muscle. 103 with just fat seems to be a "feel good" weight for me.
    I suggest making this a goal to track every thing you eat so you truly know what you are eating. I would also go see a doctor about your depression/anxiety if you haven't done so already and see if they will give you a blood test just to check. (I just got one yesterday).
    Good luck :D
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    three 1000 calorie meals/shakes a day should do the trick. (*) (*) (*)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Sounds like you may not be hungry a lot. Depression and anxiety can certainly reduce appitite and this is could be your issue. Also, if you are on medications they may also have affects on your appitite.

The only thing you can really do is eat more and eat foods that might not be considered the most healthy just to get your calories up, but don't neglect your nutrition so make sure you get plenty of fruits, vegetibles, whole grains, lean meat etc so that your covering all the bases. If you find you are still having problems then you need to consult with your doctor. He might be able to adjust your medication, if you are on any, or add something to stimulate your appitite and help you gain.

Good luck.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    my metabolism is ridicules... I have like no fat on my body but eat a ton of food all the time and noting works? I drink ensure, boosts, muscle milk... I don't know what else to do?

Figure out how many calories you need to gain weight, then eat those calories every day.