Does Coconut Oil really help with fat loss?

Options
12346»

Replies

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Does it taste like coconut when you cook with it?
  • crunnerwv
    crunnerwv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You won't lose wt just from using coconut oil, BUT I do think it's a overall healthy fat. I wasn't sure about using it at first since it's a saturated fat, but I had read that it was good for you. I get labs done twice a year, one for my wellness program at work and another for the insurance through my husband's work. My hdl was 57, started using coconut oil instead of butter for my toast, three months later hdl was 71. Didn't change anything else diet/exercise wise. And it didn't effect my ldl. Well see what my cholesterol looks like this yr when it's time for labs again.
  • tortillasandbologna
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    Good question, OP. I know a lot of people have been told coconut oil will magically increase metabolism. It's not true. It is filling and when I use to add it to my breakfast smoothies, I would stay satiated longer, but adding 100 calories of fat will do that for ya. I add ground flaxseed now.

Also, the Mayo Clinic article cited says,
    "Although eating coconut oil in moderation isn't likely to harm your health, it's not likely to help you lose weight either. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise."

THIS is a refreshing response, thank you. The impulsive jump to be snarky by many forum members is why many newbies are hesitant to ask anything.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    csylva wrote: »
    Well, this is my opinion and I'm too lazy to provide links and back it up with facts or start any debates...coconut oil is a healthy fat and a great option when cooking/using/consuming fats, that said, so is avocados and avocado oil. You will not lose more fat using these healthy oils. Weight loss truly is calories in calories out and creating a deficit. However, eating healthy fats is in the same line of thinking as eating organic, non-GMO, non processed, clean food. This allows your body to perform at it's best...helping your liver and gut remove additional toxins (those free radicals and chemicals we over consume daily). It's up to you to form an opinion on what better/optimal body performance means. Education is key here, and it seems the more we find out what's really in our food here in America the scarier it becomes...so I would choose organic coconut oil over heavily processed vegetable oil (full of GMO's) in a heartbeat!! I wish you success, happiness, and a little luck on your weight loss/healthy journey please remember it's 99% hard work and commitment and only 1% magic xoxoxo

<sigh> and you started off so promisingly......

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    amusing thread.
    highlights include "i use coconut oil in my coffee but skip breakfast and I lost weight".
    it got better after.....
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well - I use coconut oil because I love it... but I love all things "coconutty"! I used to get a coconut for Christmas every year as a child - I have to buy my own coconuts now (booooo Santa) :D

It's delicious as a butter/margarine substitute on toast, with a drizzle of clear honey - but I make sure I eat within my limits and factor the coconut oil/coconut flesh into that. As many have said - use it if you like it, don't if you don't... but don't expect miracles, it's just a nice treat!