Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oh Sugar

13»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    pjcfrancis wrote: »
    I'm not a nutritionist, so feel free to ignore me.
    Here's what I understand:
    1. Yes, sugar is sugar, but sugar that's in fruit has less impact on your body than added sugar because you ingest it mixed with other nutrients, so it is absorbed more slowly into your bloodstream. Therefore there is less impact of eating two apples with 30 g of sugar compared to a soft drink with 30 grams of sugar.

The blood glucose response to oranges and orange juice is practically identical for the first hour. Is a soft drink actually different ?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    gmallan wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    nerakire wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I probably am over thinking it. Maybe what I really need is to reduce my carb intake and up protein and possibly fat.

Uhh no. Calories in vs out is what matters, not carb intake. If you have no medical problems, there is no reason to limit carbs.

Agree there is no reason to limit carbs unless...

- You're interested in losing FAT not WEIGHT
    - You're trying to build muscle (or retain muscle)
    - Eating lots of carbs doesn't satiate you
    - Eating lots of carbs turns you into a binge monster...

I'm all in favour of not demonising particular macro nutirents. I advocate for a balanced approach to nutrition. But having said that there are lots of good reasons to limit or cut down on carbs that are non-medical. The modern diet has a tendency to be high carb, moderate to low fat and low protein so for most people cutting down on carbs to some degree is a good and neccessary thing to do.

Not saying that you need to cut out fruit or all carbs but pretty much all nutritional experts agree that eating refined (added sugars, flour, white bread etc.) and starchy carbs (potato, rice, bread etc.) in moderation is important for a healthy diet

Got any scientific proof for any of the bolded bit...because anecdotally I'd have to say a big fat No to all of those assertions

I lost plenty fat with a diet that was fairly high in carbs - 50 to 60 % (and min 100g protein)
    My musculature and strength is the best it's ever been
    I'm happy and generally satisfied
    I don't binge

Well 100g isn't low in protein for a female. Take that up to 80% carbs and see how you do. 50-60% would still be limiting carbs for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of studies looking into the effect of higher protein vs higher carb diets on muscle gain and muscle retention in a deficit.

The second two are related and I also think this has been studied fairly extensively. Notice how for these two points I didn't say that every person would necessarily suffer these effects but for a lot of people anecdotally and under controlled research conditions these two statements are true and good non-medical reasons to limit their carb intake.

Also - don't have the energy to link studies

I recommend upping your carbohydrate intake for better energy levels.

Haha, I actually thought that after I wrote it :) More like I have better places to spend my energy. My carb intake is sufficient for my energy needs (40%)

LOL, my carbs are set at 40%, too, so we're actually doing the same thing! I don't think of 40% as low carb, though, not like you see some people pound on around here. (The "ZOMG more than 10g per day will give you the DEATHS" folks, you know....)
  • Although the sugars in fruit and desserts are the SAME.. there are benefits to eating fruit oh like.. vitamins, antioxidants and water! Whereas in desserts it's all VOID. I don't have sugars at all even in fruits during contest prep but I sure do love my sweets afterward in a healthy moderation, of course. Just remember what your goals are, understand how to get there in a healthy manner. Have a REALISITIC goal that is personalized to you and SMASH those goals. I agree with most of the people on this thread, carbs are good for energy!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited April 2015
    Although the sugars in fruit and desserts are the SAME.. there are benefits to eating fruit oh like.. vitamins, antioxidants and water! Whereas in desserts it's all VOID. I don't have sugars at all even in fruits during contest prep but I sure do love my sweets afterward in a healthy moderation, of course. Just remember what your goals are, understand how to get there in a healthy manner. Have a REALISITIC goal that is personalized to you and SMASH those goals. I agree with most of the people on this thread, carbs are good for energy!

So, apple pie's fine, right?

Ugh, didn't realize this was a zombie sugar thread. Feel free to ignore...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Although the sugars in fruit and desserts are the SAME.. there are benefits to eating fruit oh like.. vitamins, antioxidants and water! Whereas in desserts it's all VOID. I don't have sugars at all even in fruits during contest prep but I sure do love my sweets afterward in a healthy moderation, of course. Just remember what your goals are, understand how to get there in a healthy manner. Have a REALISITIC goal that is personalized to you and SMASH those goals. I agree with most of the people on this thread, carbs are good for energy!

So, apple pie's fine, right?

Ugh, didn't realize this was a zombie sugar thread. Feel free to ignore...
    It's hard to tell the zombie sugar threads from the new ones... and another one will be along any minute now, anyway, with the same silly claims about sugar and the same refutations. Maybe by different people or maybe not.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    You know what this thread needs?

snickers-bar.jpg
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member

snickers-bar.jpg

I love snickers but I just can't have it right now so I'll just stare longingly at the picture.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member

snickers-bar.jpg

Yes please, high five!