Why is it so hard for people to grasp there is no magical solution?

Options
Warning: partial rant about MD stupidity as well as a question about the stupidity.

I saw one of my physicians today that I only see every 6 months. She made a huge deal out of the fact that I have lost 60 lbs since she last saw me, even though what I see her for has absolutely nothing to do with weight. So of course she asked what I have been doing. I responded back "eating less, moving more". She responds back, "no really, what are you doing?". Annoyed, I once again say "counting calories, staying in my goal range, using my fitbit and moving more." Apparently that was no an acceptable answer because she continues on asking if I cut carbs, eating low fat, taking diet pills and all the other ridiculous nonsense out there. I finally got so fed up with the moronic suggestions I just said "no. I am eating less, moving more. I can see why you didn't go into nutrition as your speciality. Now can we please finish the appt without mentioning magical pixie dust for weight loss?" Maybe not the nicest way to say it, but it certainly finished the conversation lol. Now I remember why I only see her twice a year lol.

Why is it so hard for people to believe that CICO works? Especially those in medicine?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif
    Lol! I freaking love this gif!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You should have told her you have become a breatharian.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Makes you wonder. I, say, time to find a new doctor if possible. Thanks for sharing
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Because its boring and hard. Everybody wants to lose weight NOW, with minimal effort and hassle.
    I know when I explain to people how I lost the weight (same as you), I get the glazed over eyes look and a yawn....
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Well. I'm glad you're not seeing her for weight loss.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif

Bwhahaha
  • elphie754
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder. I, say, time to find a new doctor if possible. Thanks for sharing

If I could dump her I would, but she's the only one that work with the therapist I have (that I love) and accepts my insurance.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like he's on the old 70's Match Game show?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Because everybody's been bombarded with so many different quick fixes for so many decades. So it's a difficult thing to break out of that mentality.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like he's on the old 70's Match Game show?

If I'm not mistaken, that is the point. I'm pretty sure Shia was doing a spoof of a game show in that gif. I could be wrong though.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure if this is the exact answer BUT: a lot of times patients will lie because they don't want to tell the truth. Even though you were, she might have seen more patients than not who DO resort to quick/dangerous fixes. I am not sure why you were seeing her, but if you were cutting carbs/fats/crazy restricting/etc, it could impact your medications or other physiology.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif

If I'm not mistaken, that is the point. I'm pretty sure Shia was doing a spoof of a game show in that gif. I could be wrong though.

ahh...well then they did a good job lol...

ETA: and yes I just googled it. It's an SNL spoof of the Match Game.

Now I feel like the guy who just discovered that water is wet....
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Wait... there's no pixie dust? None? WTF, man! Delete account:-)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm using this new drug called Emeffpii. :p
  • elphie754
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    So I'm not sure if this is the exact answer BUT: a lot of times patients will lie because they don't want to tell the truth. Even though you were, she might have seen more patients than not who DO resort to quick/dangerous fixes. I am not sure why you were seeing her, but if you were cutting carbs/fats/crazy restricting/etc, it could impact your medications or other physiology.

That is very possible since she is Psych, but the way she kept asking made it not seem like that was the reason. It seemed more like she couldn't believe CICO could ever work.
    IN for da magic !!!!
    5uuuns30sckg.gif

ahh...well then they did a good job lol...

ETA: and yes I just googled it. It's an SNL spoof of the Match Game.

Now I feel like the guy who just discovered that water is wet....

Don't feel bad. It took me forever to realize that was Shia labouf (sp?)
    Aemely wrote: »
    I'm using this new drug called Emeffpii. :p

Took me a few to get that lol.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfr96f5oZW1qaov5u.gif
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One of my friends is a physician and she questioned me HARD about my weight loss when I had only lost around 30-35 pounds over a six month period, so not rapid at all. I was sort of embarrassed because I don't like talking about my body or my weight, but I told her I had reduced portions which was the truth. She kept pushing, so I finally told her that the counseling I'd been doing had helped me deal with my emotions, so I was no longer eating daily pints of ice cream or boxes of cookies. (Also true. I didn't start any kind of formal plan until after I'd lost the first 30 pounds.) She still didn't seem to believe me, but she did back off. She was clearly still very suspicious, though. I think she thought I was lying and just didn't want to admit to having had surgery or taking a diet pill. (Other friends did ask, but she is the only one who gave me the third degree. I was getting so upset with her I almost cursed at her.)

I think one problem some people have with me is they think I've always been fat, as if I didn't exist prior to meeting them, so then when I lost weight they didn't know what to think. (I moved to my current city in 2005, at my highest weight.) The thing is I was always average to thin until about 10-15 years ago. (I got back down to normal in 2009, but then re-gained half of it 2011-2013.) Some health conditions and poor emotional coping skills led me to gain weight. Once those improved, I started to get back to normal. I think some people categorized me as fat and have a difficult time mentally re-categorizing me. So I think that is where some of my friend's attitude came from. And maybe there's something about physicians not trusting people.

It's very frustrating. I don't like talking to people about this. Partially because I am self conscious, and also because they will counter everything I have to say. Do you want to know how I did it or not?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

t7uqh7dxk9yu.png
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

t7uqh7dxk9yu.png

tumblr_mg4dmj0Bzv1rgb5tho1_500.gif