Why is it so hard for people to grasp there is no magical solution?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Autum1031 wrote: »
    Yep, definitely time to find a new doctor, or since you can't, be annoyed at her. ;-) I once hand carried my medical records to a new place when I moved to a different state. I was shocked at what I read! Lots of, "patient claims..." and disbelief over everything I was stating about my health concerns at the time. You think they are there to help you, and so many of them don't believe a word you say.

I will say this, though: no, CICO does not work for everyone. I've tried this method a few times in my life, including right now, with little success. Mind you--it's not like I think magical pixie dust will work, either. But I can tell you that I've lost 4.5 pounds in 10 weeks on a plan that is supposed to cause 1.5 pounds a week weight loss. (For the naysayers, yes, I am weighing my food and counting everything). I'm as flummoxed as the next person, but it certainly doesn't work for me. Nor has it worked the other times in my life that I've tried to lose weight.

If your losing then cico works...

You just need to adjust the in or out side to lose more..,

So yea, cico works for all of us; unless you live in some magical land where math and physics cease to apply...
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    But I can tell you that I've lost 4.5 pounds in 10 weeks on a plan that is supposed to cause 1.5 pounds a week weight loss. (For the naysayers, yes, I am weighing my food and counting everything). I'm as flummoxed as the next person, but it certainly doesn't work for me. Nor has it worked the other times in my life that I've tried to lose weight.

Sounds like it is working. Just not as well as you hoped. There are a lot of factors, like you said weighing your food etc. maybe you calculated your maintenance energy wrong or set your activity level too high.

A quick look at your diary makes it look like 40% of your days you are over you cal limit. Over by how much?

I think I'm getting off track here.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the doctor continued questioning because unexplained weight loss is a symptom which can have sinister causes and can need further investigation.

Now I realise OP didn't have unexplained weight loss but maybe the doctor had encountered people who did have unexplained weight loss and then explained it to themselves as eating less/moving more when in fact they had done no such thing and that wasn't the cause at all.

So just to make sure you really had been doing that and the weight loss really was due to that?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely time to find a new doctor, or since you can't, be annoyed at her. ;-) I once hand carried my medical records to a new place when I moved to a different state. I was shocked at what I read! Lots of, "patient claims..." and disbelief over everything I was stating about my health concerns at the time. You think they are there to help you, and so many of them don't believe a word you say.

I will say this, though: no, CICO does not work for everyone. I've tried this method a few times in my life, including right now, with little success. Mind you--it's not like I think magical pixie dust will work, either. But I can tell you that I've lost 4.5 pounds in 10 weeks on a plan that is supposed to cause 1.5 pounds a week weight loss. (For the naysayers, yes, I am weighing my food and counting everything). I'm as flummoxed as the next person, but it certainly doesn't work for me. Nor has it worked the other times in my life that I've tried to lose weight.

Except that CICO does work for everyone, because science. You clearly just need to lower your caloric intake to meet that goal or aim for a more reasonable goal. Just because a calculator or website says "you can eat x calories and lose x lbs a week" doesn't mean that you will automatically fall into that estimation.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Let me guess, 1200 calories? With seven lbs to lose you don't have the body mass to lose 1.5lbs a week. Adjust your account settings to 1 or 0.5 lbs a week then maybe your losses would be better aligned with your account's predictions.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You're losing weight. CICO works. You say you're logging accurately, but without an open diary, that's hard to assess. Why is your goal to lose only 11 pounds when you profile says you're morbidly obese?

EVERYONE is always convinced they're an outlier or a special snowflake who defies the laws of physics. They're not.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You're losing weight. CICO works. You say you're logging accurately, but without an open diary, that's hard to assess. Why is your goal to lose only 11 pounds when you profile says you're morbidly obese?

EVERYONE is always convinced they're an outlier or a special snowflake who defies the laws of physics. They're not.

This.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm gonna have fun with this.

With people I like, when they ask "what did you do" I'll just reply "EAT right. Move more." and watch the frustration.

People I don't like... I'll come up with ridiculous diets and swear it worked. Things like the sardine smoothie diet. Lol
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Saying CICO doesn't work is like saying 2+2 can equal 5 or 3 but not 4 because math doesn't work for me.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ah yes....the non-believers. LOL It couldn't possibly be that simple as CICO. Has to be some sort of bark from a tree in the amazon rain forest or some berry from a remote part of Africa or some plant they found after the artic ice cap melted, or like you said - magical pixie dust.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Saying CICO doesn't work is like saying 2+2 can equal 5 or 3 but not 4 because math doesn't work for me.

that argument never worked in high school math for me...
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    People I don't like... I'll come up with ridiculous diets and swear it worked. Things like the sardine smoothie diet. Lol

Thank you! I can't wait to use this one with the next person who doesn't believe me. "OK, you've caught me. For the last year, I've been in a secret industry trial of the Sardine Smoothie Diet. We have a documentary coming out this summer! We're going to be rich once this catches on!!!"

• elphie754
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

Thank you! I can't wait to use this one with the next person who doesn't believe me. "OK, you've caught me. For the last year, I've been in a secret industry trial of the Sardine Smoothie Diet. We have a documentary coming out this summer! We're going to be rich once this catches on!!!"

Ahahahahahahaha. Then the next time you see them they are slurping a sardine smoothie.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    My recent conversation at the GP's office:

Nurse, weighing me in: "Wow, you've lost 10 pounds since last year!"
    Me, preening, not gonna lie: "Actually I gained 5 after that, I'm down 15 since October"
    Nurse: What are you doing?
    Me: I cut calories and have been lifting heavy. I feel great!
    Nurse: OOOOOO, be careful, lifting heavy? I'd worry about getting really big!

You should see me. I'm wee. Even at my heaviest, I was swimming in a size medium top. I just looked the nurse in the eye, looked down at my body, and looked her back in the eye...with one perfectly arched eyebrow.

(My secret on the eyebrow is Benefit brow bar. They DO have pixie dust.)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think it's most annoying is that people KNOW what I'm doing, and SAY they need to do it... just don't. I guess I'm lucky to just even be believed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    My recent conversation at the GP's office:

Nurse, weighing me in: "Wow, you've lost 10 pounds since last year!"
    Me, preening, not gonna lie: "Actually I gained 5 after that, I'm down 15 since October"
    Nurse: What are you doing?
    Me: I cut calories and have been lifting heavy. I feel great!
    Nurse: OOOOOO, be careful, lifting heavy? I'd worry about getting really big!

You should see me. I'm wee. Even at my heaviest, I was swimming in a size medium top. I just looked the nurse in the eye, looked down at my body, and looked her back in the eye...with one perfectly arched eyebrow.

(My secret on the eyebrow is Benefit brow bar. They DO have pixie dust.)

From my Urban Rebounder DVD instructor: "Big comes from eating, and that's a fact"

• Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    "You're losing weight. CICO works. You say you're logging accurately, but without an open diary, that's hard to assess. Why is your goal to lose only 11 pounds when you profile says you're morbidly obese?

EVERYONE is always convinced they're an outlier or a special snowflake who defies the laws of physics. They're not."

My diary isn't open because I don't have it open to strangers on MFP. I do see a nutritionist at times, and my diary is fully open to them.

My goal is to only lose 11 pounds because I work best with small goals, and I become overwhelmed and stop trying with large ones. In reality, I need to lose slightly more than 100 pounds.

I understand the profound skepticism, I really do. CICO is a simple, elegant solution that works well for most people. It should work for everyone if you are counting calories exactly. Except, it doesn't, not always, not for everyone. I don't think I'm a special snowflake at all. Nor do I think some special secret diet would work for me. I don't think anything works well for me. I have been through this before. I had a serious medical scare about 10 years ago, when I was heavier than I am now. It scared me into following my doctor's orders exactly, weighing and counting everything. And....it didn't work well. Yes, I lost weight over the course of 3 years. But it happened much, much slower than it was supposed to. I still remember one particular 4 month period in which I worked SO hard, logged everything, ate well, showed up at the doctor and had lost...5 pounds. I remember just sobbing because I was so frustrated, and my doctor was equally baffled. We tested for all sorts of medical things, but nothing popped up as a "cause."

So, I get it. I don't expect to convince any of you, since I see people all over the forums mocking other people like me who don't lose weight "the way you're supposed to" when you follow the CICO model. Of course a few pounds is better than nothing, but quite honestly, at my weight, I don't know for sure it's an honest weight loss or just a fluctuation. I AM here, though, despite my frustrations, because what else can I do?

So carry on, I guess. Mock me if you will.

• elphie754
    Options
    Except it does work for ALL, unless you think you defy the laws of physics?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It isn't that CICO doesn't work. It does. The problem comes with the calculators, because not every human body metabolizes the "CO" portion in the same way.

It's still CICO. It's just that you might have a metabolic issue (like medical steroid use, a thyroid condition, or pre-Beetus) that changes a factorial in the CO part of the calculation.

It's still CICO in the end. It's just that you can't blithely input an active lifestyle and young age and get the results you want. you may need to tinker.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Most processed foods are really tasty and cheap,/thread.