WHAT, NESTLE, HOW COULD YOU?!?!

Options

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be cruel, but any English person will tell you American chocolate sucks. My brother is out in Palm beach for work at the moment and we have to supply him with English chocolate and fruit squash. There is a reason Hershey's isn't big over here. Swiss chocolate is the shizzle. Lindt and Thorntons are the best :blush:

What is fruit squash?
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't mean to be cruel, but any English person will tell you American chocolate sucks. My brother is out in Palm beach for work at the moment and we have to supply him with English chocolate and fruit squash. There is a reason Hershey's isn't big over here. Swiss chocolate is the shizzle. Lindt and Thorntons are the best :blush:

What is fruit squash?

It's essentially koolaid, but it comes in a concentrated liquid instead of little packets. I can't stand either, so I can't judge which one is better.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The Nestle ones, with the chocolate inside.

NestleSmarties%20(3).JPG

They just arent vibrant anymore...

This makes me sad, I no-longer buy them either. They used to be great for decorating birthday cakes but now they just it just ends up looking like the cake has been left out in the rain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just a wise business decision going forward.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Nestle is a horrible company anyway. Whole Food 365 chocolate is also far superior to anything the Nestle water thieves peddle.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

Tell your brother to check out his local Publix. They usually have an ethnic food aisle which includes a British food section. You can get things like Lemon Barley Water, squash, Marmite, Flakes and Fry's Turkish Delight. It's not cheap but cheaper than the cost of you shipping stuff to him.
    I agree Hershey's is disgusting. I read once it's because American chocolate processing uses scalded milk (which is why the chocolate has that weird cheesey taste)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why's this bad?
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Haha, but don't you want chocolate that is chemical free? I don't know about you, but I don't like to put any chemicals in my body if I can help it. (the sad part here is that I'm worried there are people who won't know that I'm kidding)

Everything is a chemical... Humans are h2o, carbon, potassium etc.
    A potato is much the same and glucose has a symbol.

I think you're confusing Natural and artificial ?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I just loved the report on NPR this morning. They were saying that the artificial dyes are bad for kids with ADHD. Or you know, you could stop feeding them large quantities of sugar. Who would have ever considered that a ready supply of easily accessible energy (aka, simple sugars) would contribute to hyper active kids acting up.

Ugh.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I have lost interest in a lot of candy and snacks that I loved from my childhood because they don't taste good anymore...they taste fake, artificial, waxy...plastic....

This I see as a step in a positive direction.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    here we go...

in...

• Jolinia
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I just loved the report on NPR this morning. They were saying that the artificial dyes are bad for kids with ADHD. Or you know, you could stop feeding them large quantities of sugar. Who would have ever considered that a ready supply of easily accessible energy (aka, simple sugars) would contribute to hyper active kids acting up.

Ugh.

Can't hurt to stop feeding all children less sugars, dyes, artificial flavorings, and artificial colorings. But if I remember right, that study did single out the dyes as the culprit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

Ugh.

Can't hurt to stop feeding all children less sugars, dyes, artificial flavorings, and artificial colorings. But if I remember right, that study did single out the dyes as the culprit.

I haven't read the actual study, it was more just the way the media was presenting it (as per usual, the telephone game makes science hilarious).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dontjinxit wrote: »
    When in America, I avoided junk food because the stuff read like an industrial waste site. When in England, I ate all of it because most of it just had normal ingredients. Then I ended up here for the 10 pounds of fat it gave me. lol. I do love real candy though - nice, normal, tasty candy that came from tasty ingredients I can pronounce. I don't really care if it's day-glo or not. My taste buds can't see.

LOL ok...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with chemicals, but I don't have a problem with companies switching to more natural ingredients, either. I don't really understand why anyone would really. *shrug*

Anyway, Lindt FTW.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

Ugh.

I haven't read the actual study, it was more just the way the media was presenting it (as per usual, the telephone game makes science hilarious).

Yeah, soundbytes mean everything is taken in isolation. Thus distorting darn near everything. NPR is usually one of the better ones for context, but they're still time limited.
  • beetrootbabe
    beetrootbabe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need to stop looking at this thread. I gave up chocolate for lent and those smarties are calling my name.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I'm about to break some hearts: I'm violently allergic to cocoa solids. 100% natural, no additives, (relatively) fresh off the tree cocoa nibs make my insides want to die.

I have no such reaction to cocoa butter, so I can eat white chocolate, but meh.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I have lost interest in a lot of candy and snacks that I loved from my childhood because they don't taste good anymore...they taste fake, artificial, waxy...plastic....

This I see as a step in a positive direction.

So its not just me then?! Because I really don't eat a lot of chocolates (save for what my ex would bring me) I was having a particularly bad day one day, and decided what I needed was a throwback, my Mr Goodbar. Bought it, sat in my car, took a big bite and nearly cried (yes, I was super stressed out that day...bad chocolate put me over the edge. I can laugh now but OMG it was nasty and I was in no shape for the disappointment!!!!)

I thought I was just getting older or turned into some sort of chocolate snob LOL

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think a a significant number of people do have allergies to some artificial colours and flavours so I don't have any objection to pastel smarties.

Allergy or sensitivity to some extent. Yup. My son does. And I'm glad to hear this news.