Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Metazoick wrote: »
    Artificial flavours and preservatives are probably fine but I find it odd that people here are mad about using more natural ingredients. Who doesn't want actual vanilla extract? It's delicious. A lot of fake flavours can taste downright chemical, I've tried a variety of american candy and a lot just has a weird aftertaste, especially the chocolate, due to substitutions. If nestle wants to listen to its customers and get some better ingredients in their products then that's a pretty sensible move. Plus I don't think anybody has ever legitimately thought that using more natural ingredients would somehow reduce the calories involved, or magically make it super healthy... it'll still be a candy bar, but with things like actual chocolate involved. It's an odd assumption to give the general population and then yell at them over.

I think that the annoyance is at Nestlé buying into the Woo over anything else. Yes, it makes sense from a business perspective but is still annoying because it's Woo.

And unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who think that natural = healthy and automatically less calorie dense.

Sigh. Trust me. It's really not woo if you have one of the kids who's behaviorially sensitive to the stuff and you're at your wits end and have tried everything else and removing the stuff from their diet WORKS. A controlled trial of reintroducing the stuff to their diet brings back the behavior.

Believe me, I am terrifically anti-woo. I am not OH NOES!!!! Teh chemikillz iz ebil!!!!! Certain ones are just... not necessary to the finished outcome of the taste of a product and their removal makes it easier to find things for my kid to eat.

It's just artificial food coloring. It will in no way affect the flavoring of anything. I don't get why it's a problem. Many countries overseas already won't allow artificial colors. America is a bit behind the curve in this respect.

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I have lost interest in a lot of candy and snacks that I loved from my childhood because they don't taste good anymore...they taste fake, artificial, waxy...plastic....

This I see as a step in a positive direction.

I agree. I don't think that they are about to claim that Butterfinger is health food, just that it doesn't contain a lot of chemical crap.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I think a a significant number of people do have allergies to some artificial colours and flavours so I don't have any objection to pastel smarties.

My friend's daughter is allergic to a couple of those, and it's a constant battle for her. Every birthday party, classroom party, holiday, visit to family. That kid gets ahold of more candy than the Easter Bunny, usually from well meaning adults who think just one piece won't hurt. Her life would be a lot easier if more companies did this, at least until her daughter is old enough to understand why Mommy says no even if Grandma says yes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I just loved the report on NPR this morning. They were saying that the artificial dyes are bad for kids with ADHD. Or you know, you could stop feeding them large quantities of sugar. Who would have ever considered that a ready supply of easily accessible energy (aka, simple sugars) would contribute to hyper active kids acting up.

Ugh.

Um, I hate to sound like a woo-woo idiot, because I really am not one. I only have my own family's anecdotal evidence. My son can handle moderate amounts of sugar just fine. Artificial colors and flavors (and salicylates and petrochmical preservatives) turn him into the demon child from the pit of hell. He's not hyper unless he has them. Removing them from his diet calmed him down and helped him focus and improved his school performance.

It's not easy having a child with a diet accommodating those sensitivities, but it's been worth it.

Like I said, I imagine the science behind it was better controlled than what the mentioned on the radio, but they way the stated it (and someone mentioned it could likely be a time crunch issue or that everyone just accepts what they say), there was no differentiation between the dyes and candy in general. It was more like, we stopped giving them the candy and they were fine, so clearly the problem is ingredient #43 on the list, red dye...

Just one of those entertaining things that happens when you think critically about something that got dumbed down a little too far...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11419796/Nestle-to-remove-all-artificial-ingredients-from-US-confectionery.html
    ctvnews.ca/health/nestle-usa-strips-artificial-ingredients-from-chocolate-candy-1.2241573

Goddamn people with their "we can't eat 'fake' food!" nonsense.... not like replacing ingredients will make you not gain weight if you eat too many calories! Ugh. Seriously some mad hate for people who think that they have to eat "natural" or "organic" etc etc in order to be healthy. You think that replacing/removing some ingredients will somehow make a kit-kat the nutritional equivalent to a salad? COME ON GUYS leave candy and chocolate the eff alone!

flip.gif

It might not change the taste all that much or even at all, but seriously... you're not turning the chocolate into blueberries by using "natural" ingredients, and over-eating these will still make you gain weight whether the ingredients are "natural" or not. And if this new chocolate comes out tasting like butt, I'm quitting Earth and moving to a new planet. Hopefully the Canadian versions don't change lol.

Haha, but don't you want chocolate that is chemical free? I don't know about you, but I don't like to put any chemicals in my body if I can help it. (the sad part here is that I'm worried there are people who won't know that I'm kidding)

Everything is a "chemical" so... no, I don't give a shite.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ew7sik8x81yw.jpg

pP6WA.png
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I sampled loads of chocolate when I was traveling through Brussels, Geneva, and Paris, and ultimately all are nice, depending of course on the chocolatier (and preferences).

A dual French-Swiss national man told me that Belgian chocolate is looked down upon because it’s generally made with oil rather than cocoa butter. He also said Swiss chocolate is good if you like milk chocolate, whereas Belgian is good if you like dark chocolate. I’m not exactly sure what makes French chocolate special…

Oh, and I’m not gonna lie, pure North American chocolate (like Hershey or such) I’m not a fan of. Candy bars though, like Snickers, are awesome.

I'm so glad this topic came up, even if to get advice on chocolates to try lol I do like milk chocolate...the thing I really like of the Swiss chocolates Ive enjoyed is not just the flavour, but also the texture, like silk on my tounge!!

But..I much prefer dark chocolate...so it sounds like I need to get my hands on some Belgian dark chocolate. Actually, maybe I just need to get myself back to Europe and do some sampling...and report back with my findings on French chocolate for ya hehehe!
  • phyxation
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the comments - just waiting on the husband to get home so we can head to the gym - but I did want to say, I do wish more people understood the dangers of hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. As far as organically grown foods vs. inorganically grown foods while I may see benefits to the organically grown, I surely cannot afford to switch to them exclusively.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    was anyone saying that the purpose of this change was to help people lose weight (genuine question)?

I prefer to eat natural when possible. I don't harbor any delusions that it makes a kitkat healthy. But I'd rather eat a kitkat with all natural ingredients than one pumped with chemicals and preservatives. If you haven't had all natural chocolate before, I can assure you it does not taste like butt. In my experience it is completely delicious and way tastier than the chocolate in your average candy bar and a THOUSAND times tastier than that really fake tasting chocolate in cheap easter treats, etc. A real chunk of all natural dark milk chocolate is my number one indulgent treat...you can get bricks of it at whole foods. It is exactly the level of sweetness that I like. Not to mention cadbury whilst actually in the UK...*kitten* is incredible.

Totally agree.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I no longer buy Nestle products since reading this:

http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree#overview
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    Now the smarties with their "natural" colours look washed out and sad, like a hipsters handspun sweater at a Sunday morning farmer's market on a cold winters day.
    *dies*

my god... that reference.

It was beautiful.

uz26u8p3d0lp.jpg
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Artificial flavours and preservatives are probably fine but I find it odd that people here are mad about using more natural ingredients. Who doesn't want actual vanilla extract? It's delicious. A lot of fake flavours can taste downright chemical, I've tried a variety of american candy and a lot just has a weird aftertaste, especially the chocolate, due to substitutions. If nestle wants to listen to its customers and get some better ingredients in their products then that's a pretty sensible move. Plus I don't think anybody has ever legitimately thought that using more natural ingredients would somehow reduce the calories involved, or magically make it super healthy... it'll still be a candy bar, but with things like actual chocolate involved. It's an odd assumption to give the general population and then yell at them over.

I think that the annoyance is at Nestlé buying into the Woo over anything else. Yes, it makes sense from a business perspective but is still annoying because it's Woo.

And unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who think that natural = healthy and automatically less calorie dense.

Sigh. Trust me. It's really not woo if you have one of the kids who's behaviorially sensitive to the stuff and you're at your wits end and have tried everything else and removing the stuff from their diet WORKS. A controlled trial of reintroducing the stuff to their diet brings back the behavior.

Believe me, I am terrifically anti-woo. I am not OH NOES!!!! Teh chemikillz iz ebil!!!!! Certain ones are just... not necessary to the finished outcome of the taste of a product and their removal makes it easier to find things for my kid to eat.

It's just artificial food coloring. It will in no way affect the flavoring of anything. I don't get why it's a problem. Many countries overseas already won't allow artificial colors. America is a bit behind the curve in this respect.

No no no. I knew I should have just quoted the part about people being mad about things being more "natural" but I was being lazy. I was definitely not talking about the artificial food coloring thing being Woo (a friend is allergic to red dye) but that it seemed the OP was annoyed by Nestlé giving into the Woo of natural = healthy part not at them making their products more natural.

Sorry for the confusion!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11419796/Nestle-to-remove-all-artificial-ingredients-from-US-confectionery.html
    ctvnews.ca/health/nestle-usa-strips-artificial-ingredients-from-chocolate-candy-1.2241573

Goddamn people with their "we can't eat 'fake' food!" nonsense.... not like replacing ingredients will make you not gain weight if you eat too many calories! Ugh. Seriously some mad hate for people who think that they have to eat "natural" or "organic" etc etc in order to be healthy. You think that replacing/removing some ingredients will somehow make a kit-kat the nutritional equivalent to a salad? COME ON GUYS leave candy and chocolate the eff alone!

flip.gif

It might not change the taste all that much or even at all, but seriously... you're not turning the chocolate into blueberries by using "natural" ingredients, and over-eating these will still make you gain weight whether the ingredients are "natural" or not. And if this new chocolate comes out tasting like butt, I'm quitting Earth and moving to a new planet. Hopefully the Canadian versions don't change lol.

Haha, but don't you want chocolate that is chemical free? I don't know about you, but I don't like to put any chemicals in my body if I can help it. (the sad part here is that I'm worried there are people who won't know that I'm kidding)

Everything is a "chemical" so... no, I don't give a shite.

And are all chemicals the same? Do our bodies react to all chemicals the same way? For that matter does every body react to to every chemical the same way?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Great post.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I sampled loads of chocolate when I was traveling through Brussels, Geneva, and Paris, and ultimately all are nice, depending of course on the chocolatier (and preferences).

A dual French-Swiss national man told me that Belgian chocolate is looked down upon because it’s generally made with oil rather than cocoa butter. He also said Swiss chocolate is good if you like milk chocolate, whereas Belgian is good if you like dark chocolate. I’m not exactly sure what makes French chocolate special…

Oh, and I’m not gonna lie, pure North American chocolate (like Hershey or such) I’m not a fan of. Candy bars though, like Snickers, are awesome.

I'm so glad this topic came up, even if to get advice on chocolates to try lol I do like milk chocolate...the thing I really like of the Swiss chocolates Ive enjoyed is not just the flavour, but also the texture, like silk on my tounge!!

But..I much prefer dark chocolate...so it sounds like I need to get my hands on some Belgian dark chocolate. Actually, maybe I just need to get myself back to Europe and do some sampling...and report back with my findings on French chocolate for ya hehehe!

Right on, do it and report back with detailed findings! :smile: I think that’s a keen observation about Swiss chocolate, if memory serves they invented a process for making chocolate that results in a much smoother end product. [remembers there is a thing called the Internet] Ah yes, it’s called a conche and was invented by Lindt in 1879, and it’s a special mixer typa thing.

I confess that though I want to like dark chocolate, I still really love the milk stuff best.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Swiss chocolate, in general, I find to be overrated.

Big fan of the Belgian stuff, though.

You know..friends of mine went to Belgium and brought back chocolates...verrry good, they were Cailler...and saying how that rivals my Swiss chocolate. Except, when I looked on the package, it had a Swiss flag on it. LoL So I still have yet to try any Belgian chocolate.

I know people talk about Swiss chocolates a lot, (including myself!!) but its all Ive ever had besides American chocolate or chocolates made for sale in America (because indeed...the same product overseas can be so different than what they ship here because of the gvt regulations here).

Swiss chocolate went down in quality about ten years when ingredients were relaxed - Belgian and French chocolates are much better now. Trust me on this - I've been a chocolate mule across Europe for 20+ years.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    who cares just who the hell cares
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Benoit > Neuhaus > Le Comptoire > Guylian > Leonidas > Godiva >>>> Lindt >>>>> Milka
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I don'the mean to be cruel, but any English person will tell you American chocolate sucks. My brother is out in Palm beach for work at the moment and we have to supply him with English chocolate and fruit squash. There is a reason Hershey's isn't big over here. Swiss chocolate is the shizzle. Lindt and Thorntons are the best :blush:
    English chocolate is different from anywhere else due to the milk we add. Swiss and Belgian chocolate are make from mainly coco solids adding a little butter for fat. We also add milk and more fat making our chocolate smoother and sweeter than most others . Sorry to say but yank chocolate really should never be eaten it's vile. It is consumer trends that are making all food companies look at ingredients to make thins natural. The big confectionery companies race to see who can get there product out first so they can advertise it's all natural. But to be able to make that claim the company must prove some strict criteria to be able to advertise so it does actually take alot of work to change to all natural. Trust me I work in a chocolate factory. Lol.

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Also when a product changes to all natural you can definitely taste a difference. If you had one of each and ate both you would tell a difference. But as you usually don't eat them all the time usually you do not notice the change. But working with it I do notice a big difference.