WHAT, NESTLE, HOW COULD YOU?!?!

Options
ana3067
ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11419796/Nestle-to-remove-all-artificial-ingredients-from-US-confectionery.html
ctvnews.ca/health/nestle-usa-strips-artificial-ingredients-from-chocolate-candy-1.2241573

Goddamn people with their "we can't eat 'fake' food!" nonsense.... not like replacing ingredients will make you not gain weight if you eat too many calories! Ugh. Seriously some mad hate for people who think that they have to eat "natural" or "organic" etc etc in order to be healthy. You think that replacing/removing some ingredients will somehow make a kit-kat the nutritional equivalent to a salad? COME ON GUYS leave candy and chocolate the eff alone!

flip.gif

It might not change the taste all that much or even at all, but seriously... you're not turning the chocolate into blueberries by using "natural" ingredients, and over-eating these will still make you gain weight whether the ingredients are "natural" or not. And if this new chocolate comes out tasting like butt, I'm quitting Earth and moving to a new planet. Hopefully the Canadian versions don't change lol.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten smarties since they stopped using artificial colouring. Now the smarties with their "natural" colours look washed out and sad, like a hipsters handspun sweater at a Sunday morning farmer's market on a cold winters day.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    was anyone saying that the purpose of this change was to help people lose weight (genuine question)?

I prefer to eat natural when possible. I don't harbor any delusions that it makes a kitkat healthy. But I'd rather eat a kitkat with all natural ingredients than one pumped with chemicals and preservatives. If you haven't had all natural chocolate before, I can assure you it does not taste like butt. In my experience it is completely delicious and way tastier than the chocolate in your average candy bar and a THOUSAND times tastier than that really fake tasting chocolate in cheap easter treats, etc. A real chunk of all natural dark milk chocolate is my number one indulgent treat...you can get bricks of it at whole foods. It is exactly the level of sweetness that I like. Not to mention cadbury whilst actually in the UK...*kitten* is incredible.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I haven't eaten smarties since they stopped using artificial colouring. Now the smarties with their "natural" colours look washed out and sad, like a hipsters handspun sweater at a Sunday morning farmer's market on a cold winters day.
    This is important... which smarties?
    tumblr_inline_mnofi0fsw61qz4rgp.jpg

ooh i bet the right, it says right there no artificial colours and flavours LOL.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    The Nestle ones, with the chocolate inside.

NestleSmarties%20(3).JPG

They just arent vibrant anymore...
  • ana3067
    Options
    I assume they are making the change for marketing "buy our stuff, you green flower natural people!" lol. Nothing against those people, I was completely granola for beauty care for like 2 years. But seriously, I didn't do it because I thought I'd get cancer otherwise, I did it because cleansing products dry my skin out fierce and facial products broke me out a lot. I use body wash and body scrubs on occasion now (was getting too overzealous, now cutting back on body wash to a few x a week and scrubs once a week max because of excessive dryness that lotions and butters did not combat) and I am not dead. CHEMICALS YOU ARE LOVELY.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Ikr? You can't even suck on the red ones a bit, rub them on your lips and pretend you're wearing lipstick any more!

...actually forget that rant, I'm not 7 (or 17 and drunk) any more. Yes, sad looking chocolate.
  • ana3067
    Options
    The Nestle ones, with the chocolate inside.

NestleSmarties%20(3).JPG

They just arent vibrant anymore...

:(

1024px-Blue_smarties.JPG
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem. It's a smart move by them...give the customer what they want. It won't impact the flavor if they sub an artificial color for a natural one, so I don't see any reason to be upset.
  • ana3067
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    ^^ Yes, but look how anemic and sad the Smarties already are. It's like Nestle is slowly destroying my childhood.
    And I would argue that the average joe consumer doesn't really know what he/she wants half the time. I mean people are all afraid of artificial colours without knowing why for the most part. Flash forward and those same people will likely be complaining their food no longer looks the same as it used to..

And people might know what they want but have no real reason as to WHY they want what they want.
    "Why should we replace high fructose corn syrup with granulated sugar?" "Because... idk, the corn stuff gives you diabetes?"

It's like woo woo bad gluten, woo woo bad fat, woo woo bad carbs. EVERYTHING IS WOO WOO.
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    Options
    I KNOW, RIGHT!?!!?! How am I supposed to regress to childhood Pocket Money Day now? They're a chocolate midlife crisis.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thats an awesome flip the table gif LOL

Yeah, I don't eat candy, and I don't like any Nestle or Hersheys chocolates...they all taste weird to me...which sucks because growing up, my favorite was a Mr Goodbar, and I can't even stomach it now. But my Swiss ex bf is to blame for that. We broke up 10 years ago, and my family still asks me if he can bring them some chocolate LoL That stuff will spoil you.

Anyway, as for the suggestion on Godiva...that stuff is seriously no different than what you'd find at the drugstore...the pricetag on it is purely to pay for packaging and marketing. Ghirardelli is slightly better maybe, it doesn't taste weird to me at least, but still not worth the price I don't think. Guess just switch to Hersheys or Russel Stover or something? Or get the Lindt chocolate? Thats the one I eat if I dont have a Swiss supplier bringing me goods lol

But then, if it really does taste the same as before, then I guess it wont be that much of a difference? Unless its the principle?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Thats an awesome flip the table gif LOL

Yeah, I don't eat candy, and I don't like any Nestle or Hersheys chocolates...they all taste weird to me...which sucks because growing up, my favorite was a Mr Goodbar, and I can't even stomach it now. But my Swiss ex bf is to blame for that. We broke up 10 years ago, and my family still asks me if he can bring them some chocolate LoL That stuff will spoil you.

Anyway, as for the suggestion on Godiva...that stuff is seriously no different than what you'd find at the drugstore...the pricetag on it is purely to pay for packaging and marketing. Ghirardelli is slightly better maybe, it doesn't taste weird to me at least, but still not worth the price I don't think. Guess just switch to Hersheys or Russel Stover or something? Or get the Lindt chocolate? Thats the one I eat if I dont have a Swiss supplier bringing me goods lol

But then, if it really does taste the same as before, then I guess it wont be that much of a difference? Unless its the principle?

I buy my Lindt in 2.5kg bags. SRSLY.

lindt-piccoli_couverture_dark_bittersweet-2.5kg_.jpg
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think it might be because all the low end candy companies started replacing some of the cocoa butter in chocolate with pgpr (Polyglycerol polyricinoleate) in a effort to make more money. Now I have no idea if this pgpr is bad for you or not and frankly I don't really care. What pisses me off is these big food companies are constantly using lower grade products in our food so they can make more money. So I'm glad Nestle is going to start making the candy I grew up on again.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I think a a significant number of people do have allergies to some artificial colours and flavours so I don't have any objection to pastel smarties.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11419796/Nestle-to-remove-all-artificial-ingredients-from-US-confectionery.html
    ctvnews.ca/health/nestle-usa-strips-artificial-ingredients-from-chocolate-candy-1.2241573

Goddamn people with their "we can't eat 'fake' food!" nonsense.... not like replacing ingredients will make you not gain weight if you eat too many calories! Ugh. Seriously some mad hate for people who think that they have to eat "natural" or "organic" etc etc in order to be healthy. You think that replacing/removing some ingredients will somehow make a kit-kat the nutritional equivalent to a salad? COME ON GUYS leave candy and chocolate the eff alone!

flip.gif

It might not change the taste all that much or even at all, but seriously... you're not turning the chocolate into blueberries by using "natural" ingredients, and over-eating these will still make you gain weight whether the ingredients are "natural" or not. And if this new chocolate comes out tasting like butt, I'm quitting Earth and moving to a new planet. Hopefully the Canadian versions don't change lol.

Haha, but don't you want chocolate that is chemical free? I don't know about you, but I don't like to put any chemicals in my body if I can help it. (the sad part here is that I'm worried there are people who won't know that I'm kidding)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nestle already tastes cheap and low quality as it is. I can't see that it could get any worse if they upgrade their ingredients.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be cruel, but any English person will tell you American chocolate sucks. My brother is out in Palm beach for work at the moment and we have to supply him with English chocolate and fruit squash. There is a reason Hershey's isn't big over here. Swiss chocolate is the shizzle. Lindt and Thorntons are the best :blush:
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Artificial flavours and preservatives are probably fine but I find it odd that people here are mad about using more natural ingredients. Who doesn't want actual vanilla extract? It's delicious. A lot of fake flavours can taste downright chemical, I've tried a variety of american candy and a lot just has a weird aftertaste, especially the chocolate, due to substitutions. If nestle wants to listen to its customers and get some better ingredients in their products then that's a pretty sensible move. Plus I don't think anybody has ever legitimately thought that using more natural ingredients would somehow reduce the calories involved, or magically make it super healthy... it'll still be a candy bar, but with things like actual chocolate involved. It's an odd assumption to give the general population and then yell at them over.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When in America, I avoided junk food because the stuff read like an industrial waste site. When in England, I ate all of it because most of it just had normal ingredients. Then I ended up here for the 10 pounds of fat it gave me. lol. I do love real candy though - nice, normal, tasty candy that came from tasty ingredients I can pronounce. I don't really care if it's day-glo or not. My taste buds can't see.