WHAT, NESTLE, HOW COULD YOU?!?!

Options

Replies

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Eating natural or organic obviously doesnt affect the calories of whatever it is you are eating. Also, eating organic chocolate verses eating nestle chocolate doesnt make it less fattening or make it as nutritious as a salad. That is an insane statement lol.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I have lost interest in a lot of candy and snacks that I loved from my childhood because they don't taste good anymore...they taste fake, artificial, waxy...plastic....

This I see as a step in a positive direction.

So its not just me then?! Because I really don't eat a lot of chocolates (save for what my ex would bring me) I was having a particularly bad day one day, and decided what I needed was a throwback, my Mr Goodbar. Bought it, sat in my car, took a big bite and nearly cried (yes, I was super stressed out that day...bad chocolate put me over the edge. I can laugh now but OMG it was nasty and I was in no shape for the disappointment!!!!)

I thought I was just getting older or turned into some sort of chocolate snob LOL

Nope, not just you. I used to love Ring Dings and Swiss Rolls too but now they gross me out....the just don't taste right anymore. Now this is probably a good thing lol...but nothing more disappointing than looking forward to a yummy treat and having it taste horrid.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I just loved the report on NPR this morning. They were saying that the artificial dyes are bad for kids with ADHD. Or you know, you could stop feeding them large quantities of sugar. Who would have ever considered that a ready supply of easily accessible energy (aka, simple sugars) would contribute to hyper active kids acting up.

Ugh.

Um, I hate to sound like a woo-woo idiot, because I really am not one. I only have my own family's anecdotal evidence. My son can handle moderate amounts of sugar just fine. Artificial colors and flavors (and salicylates and petrochmical preservatives) turn him into the demon child from the pit of hell. He's not hyper unless he has them. Removing them from his diet calmed him down and helped him focus and improved his school performance.

It's not easy having a child with a diet accommodating those sensitivities, but it's been worth it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm about to break some hearts: I'm violently allergic to cocoa solids. 100% natural, no additives, (relatively) fresh off the tree cocoa nibs make my insides want to die.

I have no such reaction to cocoa butter, so I can eat white chocolate, but meh.

If you can find some, try Valrhona Dulcey white chocolate. They make good white chocolate anyway (as far as I can tell - I'm not a fan of it either), but the Dulcey is actually caramelized white chocolate. If you like dulce de leche, you'll love this.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nope, not just you. I used to love Ring Dings and Swiss Rolls too but now they gross me out....the just don't taste right anymore. Now this is probably a good thing lol...but nothing more disappointing than looking forward to a yummy treat and having it taste horrid.

Yesss! Swiss Rolls! I used to be able to sit and eat a whole box of those things! I cant even look at them without gagging now...it leaves some sort of strange film on the top of my mouth that wont go away unless I drink something warm. A lot of chocolates do that to me actually. Im better off lining the roof of my mouth with saran wrap lol

Ah well, cant complain. Eating a whole box of swiss cake rolls was anyway bad for me... lol
  • stealthq
    Options
    I think a a significant number of people do have allergies to some artificial colours and flavours so I don't have any objection to pastel smarties.

Allergy or sensitivity to some extent. Yup. My son does. And I'm glad to hear this news.

And unfortunately there are allergies to the natural colours and flavours as well, so they're just trading one set of problems for another. It'll end up a wash on that front.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm about to break some hearts: I'm violently allergic to cocoa solids. 100% natural, no additives, (relatively) fresh off the tree cocoa nibs make my insides want to die.

I have no such reaction to cocoa butter, so I can eat white chocolate, but meh.

If you can find some, try Valrhona Dulcey white chocolate. They make good white chocolate anyway (as far as I can tell - I'm not a fan of it either), but the Dulcey is actually caramelized white chocolate. If you like dulce de leche, you'll love this.

Dulce de leche/Caramel is my indulgence, since I can't go eat a hot fudge cake like a normal human. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Yesss! Swiss Rolls! I used to be able to sit and eat a whole box of those things! I cant even look at them without gagging now...it leaves some sort of strange film on the top of my mouth that wont go away unless I drink something warm. A lot of chocolates do that to me actually. Im better off lining the roof of my mouth with saran wrap lol

Ah well, cant complain. Eating a whole box of swiss cake rolls was anyway bad for me... lol

Yes, almost like plastic, right? I can't do any of the cakes I loved either. I assumed it was my taste buds changing, but now I wonder.
  • stealthq
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be cruel, but any English person will tell you American chocolate sucks. My brother is out in Palm beach for work at the moment and we have to supply him with English chocolate and fruit squash. There is a reason Hershey's isn't big over here. Swiss chocolate is the shizzle. Lindt and Thorntons are the best :blush:

Hershey's isn't representative of American chocolate any more than Nestle is of Swiss. They're both about the lowest quality stuff you can buy, and equally as unpleasant in my opinion.

To be honest, I don't really think Cadbury is any better though it is different - and yes, I've had Cadbury while I was in England so it wasn't the stuff that gets shipped to America.

If you want to compare chocolate across countries, look to the high end artisanal chocolatiers. That's where you see real quality differences and taste preferences, where the focus is on providing the best experience, not the widest profit margin.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Swiss chocolate, in general, I find to be overrated.

Big fan of the Belgian stuff, though.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

You know..friends of mine went to Belgium and brought back chocolates...verrry good, they were Cailler...and saying how that rivals my Swiss chocolate. Except, when I looked on the package, it had a Swiss flag on it. LoL So I still have yet to try any Belgian chocolate.

I know people talk about Swiss chocolates a lot, (including myself!!) but its all Ive ever had besides American chocolate or chocolates made for sale in America (because indeed...the same product overseas can be so different than what they ship here because of the gvt regulations here).
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »
    Artificial flavours and preservatives are probably fine but I find it odd that people here are mad about using more natural ingredients. Who doesn't want actual vanilla extract? It's delicious. A lot of fake flavours can taste downright chemical, I've tried a variety of american candy and a lot just has a weird aftertaste, especially the chocolate, due to substitutions. If nestle wants to listen to its customers and get some better ingredients in their products then that's a pretty sensible move. Plus I don't think anybody has ever legitimately thought that using more natural ingredients would somehow reduce the calories involved, or magically make it super healthy... it'll still be a candy bar, but with things like actual chocolate involved. It's an odd assumption to give the general population and then yell at them over.

I think that the annoyance is at Nestlé buying into the Woo over anything else. Yes, it makes sense from a business perspective but is still annoying because it's Woo.

And unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who think that natural = healthy and automatically less calorie dense.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You know..friends of mine went to Belgium and brought back chocolates...verrry good, they were Cailler...and saying how that rivals my Swiss chocolate. Except, when I looked on the package, it had a Swiss flag on it. LoL So I still have yet to try any Belgian chocolate.

I know people talk about Swiss chocolates a lot, (including myself!!) but its all Ive ever had besides American chocolate or chocolates made for sale in America (because indeed...the same product overseas can be so different than what they ship here because of the gvt regulations here).

I sampled loads of chocolate when I was traveling through Brussels, Geneva, and Paris, and ultimately all are nice, depending of course on the chocolatier (and preferences).

A dual French-Swiss national man told me that Belgian chocolate is looked down upon because it’s generally made with oil rather than cocoa butter. He also said Swiss chocolate is good if you like milk chocolate, whereas Belgian is good if you like dark chocolate. I’m not exactly sure what makes French chocolate special…

Oh, and I’m not gonna lie, pure North American chocolate (like Hershey or such) I’m not a fan of. Candy bars though, like Snickers, are awesome.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Dude. Hersheys is THE BEST chocolate. Better than godiva, ghiardelli, lindt....chocolate straight from Switzerland (my moms fiance is from there and visits several times a year...hauling candy back each time, lol).

Seriously.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Dude. Hersheys is THE BEST chocolate. Better than godiva, ghiardelli, lindt....chocolate straight from Switzerland (my moms fiance is from there and visits several times a year...hauling candy back each time, lol).

Seriously.

I just find it too sweet and not that smooth, but I’m not saying it’s bad - just not to my taste :smile: The Kisses ARE super fun.

Oh, and airport duty-free candy hauls are my favourite thing!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

My dad used to go to Belgium all the time for work, but he hated dealing with the customs, so he never wanted to buy anything and bring it back. Once though, he brought us all back a pound box of chocolates from a local mom and pop place that made their own chocolates. IT WAS AMAZING!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    nuh uh, if they have only real ingreients, I can are haz eatz all and no gain weight.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Bring on the naturally colored Smarties!
    You don't know the significance unless you live with a child who has violent reactions to food dyes. Instead of him being upset that his friends gets to eat candy, he can finally enjoy a box of Smarties now and then!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with chemicals, but I don't have a problem with companies switching to more natural ingredients, either. I don't really understand why anyone would really. *shrug*

Anyway, Lindt FTW.

Same for me. I think it's a nice thing that the company appears to be listening to consumer trends and wants--that's a company's MO--give the customer what they want (generally speaking).

I'd rather have a square (or four, lol) of Lindt, but a plain Hershey bar is good (to me) sometimes, too.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Now the smarties with their "natural" colours look washed out and sad, like a hipsters handspun sweater at a Sunday morning farmer's market on a cold winters day.
    *dies*