How comfortable would you be doing these exercises at the gym?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Those are great ideas and for me, problem solved. Thanks
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Awesome. Those are great ideas and for me, problem solved. Thanks

Np. They totally are. I wish I could bring myself to do them
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. I'll stick with squats, thankyouverymuch.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Totally comfortable.

Ah, the benefits of a home gym...
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Or, you could do pilates shoulder bridge with some variations http://www.pilates-back-joint-exercise.com/pilates-bridge.html

For the second one, why not just do squats? I guess if you want to really target the buns... my gym has a glute machine but it's really awkward.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Or, you could do pilates shoulder bridge with some variations http://www.pilates-back-joint-exercise.com/pilates-bridge.html

For the second one, why not just do squats? I guess if you want to really target the buns... my gym has a glute machine but it's really awkward.

Thanks for the tips :)
    I do bridges but am up to high numbers already...

I can't use my right arm to lift anything right now :/ but the second one is less embarrassing than the first one. I can just wear baggy sweats and feel ok. Not sure if that would work for the first one :/
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The first one sounds like a decent variation on Barbell Hip Thrusts

The hip thrust activates and builds the upper glutes to a much greater extent than squats, and even to a greater extent than deadlifts.

Sit on the ground with your back against a bench, feet planted firmly in front of you, and a padded barbell in your lap. Keep your knees stable, raise the barbell by extending your hips, and push your hips upward with your glutes.

Rise until your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees, then slowly lower back to the ground. Squeeze your glutes at the top.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    The first one sounds like a decent variation on Barbell Hip Thrusts

The hip thrust activates and builds the upper glutes to a much greater extent than squats, and even to a greater extent than deadlifts.

Sit on the ground with your back against a bench, feet planted firmly in front of you, and a padded barbell in your lap. Keep your knees stable, raise the barbell by extending your hips, and push your hips upward with your glutes.

Rise until your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees, then slowly lower back to the ground. Squeeze your glutes at the top.

Yeah, for sure, that's a great exercise :) I can't use my right arm to get the barbell into place, though, which is why I was looking at these alternates
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Totally uncomfortable, but I think I'll do that first one tomorrow. Lol
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    Totally uncomfortable, but I think I'll do that first one tomorrow. Lol

Nice :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    checking the late morning crowd :) i really want to know who can do these no probs, and how!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I am doing bridges and donkey kicks/whips as part of a strength routine to build glute and hip flexor strength to help with long distance running. These are the next step once simple bodyweight resistance is no longer yielding returns. Thanks for sharing!
  • amongstthewildflowers
    Options
    The first one is called hip thrusts and it's an amazing exercise! I do mine sitting on the ground though with my back against a bench and a use a barbell with plates on it.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    :D

I think my issue is that for whatever reason, I feel these movements might be interpreted by some as having sexualized overtones, and I go to a gym full of bros. I need to get over it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've done glute bridges with a kettlebell at the gym but mostly do them and hip thrusts with a barbell at home because I mostly work out at home. If I didn't have the equipment to do it at home, I'd do them at the gym because at a certain point you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable doing anything that gets results lol. I'm a regular hip thruster (with barbell and plates though at the gym twice a week). Actually saw a guy doing them the other day. About time! Squats are awesome but hip thrusts.....truly feel the burn.

I wouldn't worry about guys' sexual thoughts from these moves...if this would cause someone to think sexual thoughts, they'll probably think them if you're just walking by anyway :smile:

I've seen a couple girls do the kick but on a smith machine. There's no way my supporting knee could handle a decent amount of weight. I'll pass.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok, you guys are right. I need to person up. But I think I'm going to wear
    Mens_Sweatpants-242-18908-1.jpg

and

mens-textured-fleece-zip-hoodies-medium-heather-gray.jpg

Good point about the weight on the knee, @terar21, that's a vulnerability for me too.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    actually i'm wondering about the first hip thrust mod. with regular hip thrusts, you rest at the bottom, on the ground, and push against it to generate energy. Here that weight must be going more to the shoulders and maybe the lower back... maybe worth trying with a lowish weight to start.
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm sat in a privileged position because I have a gym at home. But I can't work out why hip thrusting is any more embarrassing than squatting, bench pressing or anything else? I do occasionally hip thrust at my local gym if I have a PT session, it's never crossed my mind people might interpret it in any way other than a workout.

I mean when you bench press there you are, laid out on your back, with your legs astride the bench (for me that's wider than hip thrusting), how is that less embarrassing than hip thrusting? At least with hip thrusting you can see what's going on around you!

If you are worried about said 'bros' objectifying you for hip thrusting, they can only play that game (assuming they actually want too, they may have other things to do) if you participate. Get in there, get on it, tune into your glutes, tune out everything else and do one of the best exercises on planet for your glutes.