How comfortable would you be doing these exercises at the gym?

Options

Replies

• hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ct3x1c6kv54b.jpg
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do the first one a lot. It eliminates the time setting up a heavy hip thrust set with the barbell and the padding on the extension makes it way more comfortable. I don't mind bruises (rugby player/coach) and I can set the weights high.

Fortunately at my gym, we have a machine that does exactly what the second one is showing.

Do what gets you to your target and don't worry about what other people might be thinking. Unless they are literally standing too close and drooling on you. If thats the case, call management...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »
    Totally comfortable.

Ah, the benefits of a home gym...

Ditttooooooooo!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I do barbell hip thrusts in the gym all the time. The only two times I was uncomfortable was the first time and the time the old dude draped himself across a machine in front of me, propped his chin on his hand and watched me with a creepy little smile for my entire routine. Other than that, I am so focused on my butt burning that I don't notice the rest of the world. :D
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do the barbell hip thrusts in my gym - when I first started them, I was surprised to find they weren't nearly as awkward as I was expecting them to be. I also do the donkey kicks (the second video) but I do them with the smith machine - major fail the first few times I tried those, but how else do you learn?
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I actually did both of those at the gym this morning. Although the hip thrusts I do with a flat bench and barbell. It's only awkward the first few times.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Ok guys. Thanks :) I'm going to try them tonight :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just do the first one with a box and a barbell, you'll be fine, it's preferable that way, as you have to balance the bugger.

The second one?
    uh... why bother? Some lunges would do the same, no?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with those exercises, but anyone trying that on our equipment would be stopped immediately. Not to be a killjoy, but in today's world, no gym can afford to permit any use of a weight machine for which it is not designed. The lawsuits can be crippling.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with those exercises, but anyone trying that on our equipment would be stopped immediately. Not to be a killjoy, but in today's world, no gym can afford to permit any use of a weight machine for which it is not designed. The lawsuits can be crippling.

Aw, boo! Well, they can stop me if they don't like it, I guess. I think I signed a waiver...

dbmata wrote: »
    Just do the first one with a box and a barbell, you'll be fine, it's preferable that way, as you have to balance the bugger.

The second one?

Because I can't use my arm to lift anything, all my loaded lower body exercised have to be hands-free :/
  • tomatoey
    Options
    #exercises
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    :D

I think my issue is that for whatever reason, I feel these movements might be interpreted by some as having sexualized overtones, and I go to a gym full of bros. I need to get over it!

Yes, you do.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »

Aw, boo! Well, they can stop me if they don't like it, I guess. I think I signed a waiver...

dbmata wrote: »

The second one?

Because I can't use my arm to lift anything, all my loaded lower body exercised have to be hands-free :/
    Weighted vest for the lunges? The hip thrusts just need support, can you do that?
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've done the bottom one, but on a machine designed for it. Sadly can't remember the name off hand, but I referred to it as the dungeon machine because I was convinced I was going to kick the weight off and hit either myself or the person behind me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Not sure how the Bret gif never made it into this thread.

Never make eye contact during hip thrusts:
    7bi68.gif

I use the barbell with a flat bench or steps (depending on what is free at the time), and I love doing them. I definitely felt awkward when I first started, but no one looks at me, and I love the glute activation. (Sadly I injured my tailbone and hip thrusts and glute bridges are the few exercises that aggravate it.)

I've not tried the kickbacks, but I do think we have a machine form them, so it wouldn't be as awkward. Take a look around your gym.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If you want to target your glutes, doing hip thrusts with a barbell is your best bet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »
    Totally comfortable.

Ah, the benefits of a home gym...

This x100.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Neither looks particularly comfortable. That said, I have no idea what the first person is doing, so I doubt I'd even try. The second I might find a corner out of the way or something. I have tried the second and didn't care for it.

There is a gentleman who uses the treadmill at a similar time as me, so I've seen him a few times. He runs for so many minutes, then does push ups at the foot of the machine (both hands on either side of the machine) without turning said machine off. I just keep waiting for the day his shirt gets caught or something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'll do almost anything at the gym... as long as it's useful to my health/fitness AND make sense.

Most of the overly ridiculous things you see people doing at the gym are essentially "i saw a fitness model on youtube on it so I think I'll try it" In which THOSE people are just trying to damn hard to be special " no one else is using it for this either"

It's reinventing the wheel: there are a better pieces of equipment or lifts to help.

Using the leg extension machine is just a bridge lift- which can/should be with a curl bar- or a barbell.

Secondly- the leg extension-push thing: you can do that with an ankle strap on a cable pully OR you can do a leg press down on the assisted pull up machine.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just do them and own it, like you were just crowned queen of the hip thrust.