why are there so many bulky weightlifters?

Options
124»

Replies

• kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Do you find it hard to believe that some people train for what they can do, as opposed to what they look like?

^THIS.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Gimme this:
    bane-dark-knight-rises-image-tom-hardy1.jpg

over this:
    model.jpg

any day of the week, and twice on Sunday

Really? Not for me! That second guy is yummy!
    Both will get the job done.

Yeah, but only one of them can break Batman's back...... just sayin'
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    people will say they dont do cardio because weightlifting is good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys who have a lot of muscle AND body fat. no muscle striations (sp?) at all
    who wants to look bulky? i dont understand why the guy built like a monster truck doesnt want to do cardio to burn that excess fat
    but he will lift weights day in day out

Cause they don't like cardio.... They like weights.
    You can do cardio too, most of the powerlifters I know do cardio. They also eat at a surplus to build and maintain muscle mass. Big and bulky doesn't automatically mean out of shape. Look at nfl linemen.

^^^why BMI doesn't work for all of us.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Do I look bulky???
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    people will say they dont do cardio because weightlifting is good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys who have a lot of muscle AND body fat. no muscle striations (sp?) at all
    who wants to look bulky? i dont understand why the guy built like a monster truck doesnt want to do cardio to burn that excess fat

Ah young grasshopper, you believe that everyone is like you. They are not. There are roughly 6 billion people on the planet. They all have different goals, dreams, aspirations. Many of these goals are not aesthetic in nature. Perhaps one day you will come to understand....... sadly, I fear that day is far off.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As much as I just want to sit back and watch the heads explode..........

It's pretty well established that exercise alone is not going to make you lose fat. There are a lot of overweight people on the treadmill every day as well.

They are fat because they overeat, not fat because they don't lift.

"Secret eaters" the other day had two massive women who insisted they stuck to 1200 calories a day and did loads of workouts but could not lose weight and had "no idea" why they were fat because they only ate healthy home-cooked food. Guess what - they each consumed 3500-5000 calories a day (including loads of takeaways, chocolate, cakes etc.)

If you eat more than you burn you will put on weight, no matter how much lifting or cardio you do.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Tom Hardy's a perfect example actually.

In Warrior:
    tom-hardy-mma-training-workout.jpg

In TDKR:
    dark-knight-rises-banes-mask-muscles-and-brains-revealed-in-notes.jpg

In one he's ripped and lean, in the other he just looks like a giant beast. I don't think Bane would've been anywhere near as intimidating if he'd had the physique from the first picture. Neither is 'better' IMO, they're different looks for different things, some may prefer to be one over the other.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

In one he's ripped and lean, in the other he just looks like a giant beast. I don't think Bane would've been anywhere near as intimidating if he'd had the physique from the first picture. Neither is 'better' IMO, they're different looks for different things, some may prefer to be one over the other.

I think you just made a great point, but I need to read it without the pictures because they're...distracting.

Now, let me look at the pictures again....

Yes. Distracting. Mmmm.

Great point!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Cause they don't like cardio.... They like weights.
    You can do cardio too, most of the powerlifters I know do cardio. They also eat at a surplus to build and maintain muscle mass. Big and bulky doesn't automatically mean out of shape. Look at nfl linemen.

^^^why BMI doesn't work for all of us.

Both quotes apply in my case... I powerlift, and do Cardio, but eat 3-400 Calories a day to keep\build muscle mass.

If you consider "Weightlifters" (Powerlifters\Strongman\Olympic Lifters) as "Strength Athletes" then look at the best, they all carry more body fat. Personally I have no idea why but that's just the main case.

As for BMI..... I've dropped 5% body fat since my worst days, can do 1 1/2 hours cardio twice a week after a 1 hour workout and a full days work, and I'm apparently have a WORSE BMI than I did back when I was 8Lb's lighter with the extra body fat!!?!
  • freebirdjones
    Options

In Warrior:

In TDKR:

omg I'd take both :love:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

They're not all fat. I don't care for the "muscle-bound" look, but some people like it and they train to get that appearance.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

In Warrior:

In TDKR:

Excellent example, although I personally prefer his build in the first picture.

omg I'd take both :love:
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options

You mean guys like me? I don't lift because I want to look a certain way. I worry about my health, what weight class I am in and how much I can lift on the day of the competition ONLY. People who train for aesthetics lift weights in a completely different way than people who are lifting for strength/performance. They also eat a lot differently since being lean is counterproductive for someone who wants to be strong.

To answer someone else's question about why fat makes you stronger that I saw in here: It isn't specifically fat that makes you strong, it's the girth of your appendages; however, fat will increase that girth. When you bend those appendages and the two segments smash against each other it creates a lot of pressure. This pressure helps to stabilize the joint and provide support while you are lifting. For example, I have a gut and really, really thick thighs so I can't depth on a squat unless I have about 365lbs on the bar. This means that I get 365lbs of rebound out of the hole on a squat. The same is true when I am bench pressing because of the size of my arms (I don't get that much rebound on a bench though).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    if you lift you will get bulky because muscle weighs more than fat! :glasses:

also maybe they are eating past 5pm.. that can make you bulky too :laugh:

^^ This!