Winter Exercises

Options
Ck103084
Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a walker. I walk one to three miles in the spring, summer and fall. But it's currently winter. I have Yoga and Kickboxing dvd's but I get bored with them so fast. Any advice on winter exercises?

Replies

• italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Put a coat & snow pants on and go for a walk!!!
  • Ck103084
    Options
    lol. I do that sometimes but it's freaking cold out there. :(
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm in New England and it has been freezing. Is a gym membership out of the question? I love my classes.
  • Ck103084
    Options
    Yeah, can't afford that right now. I'll walk in the cold if this freaking snow ever melts. I guess I'll just stick with my dvd's. I wish had a damn treadmill. :/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    snow shoveling.
    snow walking.
    snow shoeing.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe it can be more motivating by timing yourself. Try 4 rounds of say 10 squats, 8 push-ups, 10 hip-thrusts and 6 pull-ups every other day. Sometimes the challenge of beating your own time is motivation enough.

• rileyes
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    snow shoveling.
    snow walking.
    snow shoeing.

Love this!
  • Ck103084
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    snow shoveling.
    snow walking.
    snow shoeing.

Snow shoveling I actually enjoy so that's a yes.
  • Ck103084
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Maybe it can be more motivating by timing yourself. Try 4 rounds of say 10 squats, 8 push-ups, 10 hip-thrusts and 6 pull-ups every other day. Sometimes the challenge of beating your own time is motivation enough.

I'll try it! Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot less time on my bike in the winter (but still some) and way more time in the weight room.

Fortunately, "winter" is pretty short in these parts...basically November, December, and January pretty much suck...but we start getting spring like weather in February so I'm back out on my bike a lot...though we will now get the freak snow storm after a 70* day which always puts a kink in things.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The local community owned rec center costs $32 monthly. I only pay during the winter months.

If not that, got a local shopping mall? Around here they have mall walker groups that get together and walk the mall. Zero cost if you avoid shopping.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Mall walking for when the snow is too deep. When it's just cold out, walk faster.
  • rileyes
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The local community owned rec center costs $32 monthly. I only pay during the winter months.

If not that, got a local shopping mall? Around here they have mall walker groups that get together and walk the mall. Zero cost if you avoid shopping.

Another thing you can do at the mall or other business center: Try jogging the parking garage stairs. (If you can skate your way there safely.) Try two at a time, side stepping...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ck103084 wrote: »
    lol. I do that sometimes but it's freaking cold out there. :(

I layer up and go out anyway to run. I'm Maine, pretty sure the snow will be here til June since we've gotten over 80in so far in these perpetual snow storms.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I do tons of exercises the other times of the year, but here in Wisconsin, it's dang cold out right now!! Normally, I walk for 20 min at work, then hit the trail behind my house for some running and/or power walking. I have a treadmill and an eliptical at home, but I hate running on my treadmill and it's not the same as being outdoors. So, I just started doing XTF MAX 90 Day workout program. They say that it's more geared for women, but the exercises, in my opinion, aren't geared just for women. Tonight is my 3rd night and I feel great doing them. There are 12 different DVDs that contain 12 different workouts. You get a schedule of what is recommended to do each day. So far, so good. Only takes 20-40 min per day depending on the exercise for that day.
  • clark3181
    clark3181 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Leslie sansone walk at home DVDs? I do them 6 days a week, there are great!
  • Ck103084
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I spend a lot less time on my bike in the winter (but still some) and way more time in the weight room.

Fortunately, "winter" is pretty short in these parts...basically November, December, and January pretty much suck...but we start getting spring like weather in February so I'm back out on my bike a lot...though we will now get the freak snow storm after a 70* day which always puts a kink in things.

It's -10 with the wind chill today. I am not walking in that. Brrr. Enjoy the bike riding!
  • Ck103084
    Options
    awolf2011 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. I do tons of exercises the other times of the year, but here in Wisconsin, it's dang cold out right now!! Normally, I walk for 20 min at work, then hit the trail behind my house for some running and/or power walking. I have a treadmill and an eliptical at home, but I hate running on my treadmill and it's not the same as being outdoors. So, I just started doing XTF MAX 90 Day workout program. They say that it's more geared for women, but the exercises, in my opinion, aren't geared just for women. Tonight is my 3rd night and I feel great doing them. There are 12 different DVDs that contain 12 different workouts. You get a schedule of what is recommended to do each day. So far, so good. Only takes 20-40 min per day depending on the exercise for that day.

Sounds like you have it figured out! :)
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I surely hope so. I'm enjoying the workouts since it is definately getting to all the problem areas. I just hope that I can keep it up for the rest of the 90 days. I do have to tweak it though because working out everyday for that many weeks won't be entirely possible. I'm gonna try my hardest though. I've got 2 kids in basketball for the remainder of February, then we have a couple week break, then flag football starts and swimming, so it will get more difficult. Taking it one day at a time :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What is this winter thing?

It's 60F here in Eastern WA.