Clean Eating Challenge- March

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    beejelblor wrote: »
    I am SUPER excited for March to begin and to start putting all my prep and research into action! Some friends and I are going clean, we are gong to have a VERY strict month of March to get our bodies and minds ready for a new Clean Eating lifestyle that we hope to be able to maintain after March. I would LOVE to have company in this month for support, accountability, and shared knowledge.

I started a group called "March 2015 Clean Eating Challenge". Feel free to join if you are interested.

March 1-31st I plan to eat 100% clean. General summary is:
    No processed foods
    No refined sugars
    Only whole grain
    Only whole foods
    5 meals a day rather then 3

Sooo pretty much:
    Nothing with a label, listing ingredients
    No alcohol
    No white processed carbs
    No unnatural sugar added

This will take a lot planning, discipline and willpower but is nice because you do not need to be hungry or neglect yourself, if you want something sweet, eat something sweet as long as it is clean. If anyone would like to join me the support and encouragement would be wonderful. We can share recipe ideas as well as how we are feeling.

so basically nothing except water, tears, and some steamed vegetables....

how are you defining processed?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what whole grains do you eat that aren't processed? Serious question.

The whole grain part is what I am researching now, still learning. I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.

ahh yess, let the verbal clean gymnastics begin ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It is amazing that we are on a website designed to get healthy, and there are forums to help one another with this but all that the forum discussion ever seem to lead to are jabs at one another. Every person approaches their nutrition and fitness in their own way, simply move along if this is not the way for you rather then trying to discourage me or others. If anyone is actually interested feel free to join my group, I am not setting rules or pushing judgement on anyone.

Yup, I've found that too. It seems like a lot of people on here think that they have the answer, and that their plan is somehow the best. A lot of it is based on their own personal results and it won't work for everyone. Clean eating to me is just eating foods that are minimally processed, so as close to the way they are found in nature as you can get. Other people may have other definitions, so be it, but the rude responses need to stop. @beejelblor‌ Thanks for this comment, I've been meaning to write something to this extent for a while.

my answer = clean eating is totally unnecessary for weight loss and health goals..

hit your calorie/macro/micro targets and enjoy the foods you like and you will be fine..

no need to come up with which variation of rice is "cleaner" and, hence, acceptable....
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It is amazing that we are on a website designed to get healthy, and there are forums to help one another with this but all that the forum discussion ever seem to lead to are jabs at one another. Every person approaches their nutrition and fitness in their own way, simply move along if this is not the way for you rather then trying to discourage me or others. If anyone is actually interested feel free to join my group, I am not setting rules or pushing judgement on anyone.

Yup, I've found that too. It seems like a lot of people on here think that they have the answer, and that their plan is somehow the best. A lot of it is based on their own personal results and it won't work for everyone. Clean eating to me is just eating foods that are minimally processed, so as close to the way they are found in nature as you can get. Other people may have other definitions, so be it, but the rude responses need to stop. @beejelblor‌ Thanks for this comment, I've been meaning to write something to this extent for a while.

my answer = clean eating is totally unnecessary for weight loss and health goals..

hit your calorie/macro/micro targets and enjoy the foods you like and you will be fine..

no need to come up with which variation of rice is "cleaner" and, hence, acceptable....

So you're saying it's fine to throw in 10 shots of vodka every day as long as it fits your macros micros and calories and it's fine for your health?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

So you're saying it's fine to throw in 10 shots of vodka every day as long as it fits your macros micros and calories and it's fine for your health?

You really don't see a difference between questioning the total elimination of entire groups of food based on vague standards of "cleanness" and heavy consumption of alcohol?

I feel like common sense is just being tossed out the window. We know, from decades of research, that heavy consumption of alcohol can have negative health impacts. But many of the foods targeted by those promoting "clean eating" don't have similarly established dangers, especially when consumed moderately.

• ndj1979
    Options

ding, ding, ding, ding...all aboard, here comes the strawman train that is never late...

I don't even know how you could come up with such an absurd notion from my post...

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Thankfully I look at Whole30 as a cleanse and detox as it's so strict. I find clean eating a whole lot easier to do than even Paleo. But I still try to stay away from bread, pasta, dairy, sugar. That being said, I do have real maple syrup and organic half and half in my daily cup of coffee.
    Switching to all organic is quite painful on the checkbook but I find it so worth it!

I was wondering how long it would take before someone threw in the two delightful buzzwords, "cleanse" and "detox". Only took to the second page.

What, pray tell, are you cleansing and detoxing?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Thankfully I look at Whole30 as a cleanse and detox as it's so strict. I find clean eating a whole lot easier to do than even Paleo. But I still try to stay away from bread, pasta, dairy, sugar. That being said, I do have real maple syrup and organic half and half in my daily cup of coffee.
    Switching to all organic is quite painful on the checkbook but I find it so worth it!

I was wondering how long it would take before someone threw in the two delightful buzzwords, "cleanse" and "detox". Only took to the second page.

What, pray tell, are you cleansing and detoxing?

hmmm

clean eating
    detoxing
    MFP is mean
    toxins
    Paleo

BINGO!!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am SUPER excited for March to begin and to start putting all my prep and research into action! Some friends and I are going clean, we are gong to have a VERY strict month of March to get our bodies and minds ready for a new Clean Eating lifestyle that we hope to be able to maintain after March. I would LOVE to have company in this month for support, accountability, and shared knowledge.

I started a group called "March 2015 Clean Eating Challenge". Feel free to join if you are interested.

No processed foods
    No refined sugars
    Only whole grain
    Only whole foods

Sooo pretty much:
    No alcohol
    No white processed carbs
    No unnatural sugar added

This will take a lot planning, discipline and willpower but is nice because you do not need to be hungry or neglect yourself, if you want something sweet, eat something sweet as long as it is clean. If anyone would like to join me the support and encouragement would be wonderful. We can share recipe ideas as well as how we are feeling.

Mostly I would be consuming tears from not being able to indulge in things like bacon, wine, and chocolate.

• ndj1979
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

No processed foods
    No refined sugars
    Only whole grain
    Only whole foods

Sooo pretty much:
    No alcohol
    No white processed carbs
    No unnatural sugar added

Mostly I would be consuming tears from not being able to indulge in things like bacon, wine, and chocolate.

we will get a long fine...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, so basically I can only eat hand picked vegetables and water for this challenge...that would be tough. Still trying to determine why I have to eat 5 times instead of three. That's a new one.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    3xolrni0jnl2.jpg

I enjoy all things in moderation, so it's a no for me but good luck in your pursuit OP
    :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    RGv2- That does tend to happen a lot too. LOL
    Science/statistics are great but we all know that not everyone will have the same results. Information is great as long as it's information for people to be able to use and not thought of as gospel truth. LOL

If science and statistics can't be used as a reliable guide to what is truthful, what do you recommend using?

Honestly, I'd interpret that as more acknowledging that science has it's limits, as in 'there are things we haven't studied yet, and things that have been neglected in our studies to date.' One great example: the vast majority of studies are done on men only, including those on what diets are best for 'the human body.'

Considering that the few studies done on women have shown that women actually can have significantly different physiological reactions to things that we have all been assuming 'must' be the same for both sexes (like carbs and protein, for example), what does that say about the accuracy of our science for what is a healthy diet?

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options

No processed foods
    No refined sugars
    Only whole grain
    Only whole foods

Sooo pretty much:
    No alcohol
    No white processed carbs
    No unnatural sugar added

If anyone would like to join me the support and encouragement would be wonderful. We can share recipe ideas as well as how we are feeling.

Do you have a link for the group? I was having a hard time finding it. I have to eat this way pretty much all the time for medical reasons, anyway. I would be nice to have some company and share recipes and such. :-)

• guerrillatiger
    guerrillatiger Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    beejelblor - Don't get disheartened with what seems to me negative responses. Clean eating is unique for everyone to how their body responds to certain foods. I applaud you for having the realization that thought should be had into what we eat regardless of the decision made.

Some people like myself just need a set of rules to follow to see how their body feels so they can then make decisions on what they feel is "clean". I have found the whole30 and will treat it as a little challenge and learning experience which I think is fun and health way to look at these type of things in life.

StephannieL - 10 days into the whole30 and I am feeling great.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The whole grain part is what I am researching now, still learning. I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.

See the 'meal' part of that word I bolded there? Processed.
    Sooo pretty much:
    I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.

So does that mean that you are only going to buy these grains from a "wholesale bin" so it doesn't come in a package with a label? Unless you grow your own grains, the stuff you buy at the store will have a label listing the ingredients, won't it?....

That is the plan, I don't have a farm so I will do the best I can.

And the bit about getting stuff from wholesale bins so it doesn't have a label. Just...You know it's EXACTLY THE SAME STUFF, right??