Can you reccommend a good book for me?

Options

Replies

• ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Khaled Hosseini's - A Thousand Splendid Suns
    Erin Gruwell - The Freedom Writers (very much like Anne Frank's Diary)
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    oh, also... while I hate Dan Brown with a passion and usually try to stay away form any templar-mystery type stories (seriously. I studied history in Uni. that *kitten* is to historical fiction as Twilight is to the Lord of the Rings), I actually found Labyrinth by Kate Mosse rather well written and researched. the bits done "in period" were atmospheric and... you know, by deliberately adding the supernatural element she managed to sidestep a humongous problem in the templar mythology.

also also, I admit to enjoying the occasional (historical) romance, if only to every now and then come across some rather curious misuses of the English vocabulary. The latest one went something like "the food wasn't suitable for her pallet" ROTFLOL
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bumping for suggestions when my Kindle needs refilling.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    not reading thru 5 pgs of replies to c if anyone already mentioned

:heart: :heart: Barabara Kingsolver: The Poisonwood Bible :heart: :heart:

that one was a meaty, meaty read that stuck to my ribs for quite a while. one of the last books i finished, actually (which is sad b/c it was a long time ago :frown: )
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    It depends... what do you mean by classical? The Three Musketeers, the Count of Monte Christo, Don Quixhote, 1001 Nights and Decameron for collections of stories (don't be fooled by the disneyfied versions. the Sindbad story was quite brutal IIRC)... How about some Dostoyevski or Tolstoi or Goethe?

Ooh, Remarque! "All's quiet on the Western Front" - zounds better than that whiny drivelly Hemingway.

do you like Fantastical realism? of the modern authors I think Paulo Coelho is the best known but for my taste he's a bit... repetitive and simple. However, the oldies like Marquez (100 years of solitude), Hesse (Steppewolf) or Bulgakov (Master and Margarita) are rather awesome.

I'm a huge fan of Umberto Eco (my absolute favourite is Foucault's Pendulum) and Guy Gavriel Kay (Tigana), but a lot of people have trouble getting into the story. they're quite deep though underneath the main story. Tigana for instance is a fantasy-take on the psychology of an entire nation whose name physically cannot be spoken any more
    since this topic already exists, can anyone recommend something funny/witty?

and no, I don't mean joke books or base scatological humour.

have you ever tried the Disk World books by Terry Pratchett? They're all in the same world and some of the characters recur but all of the novels are standalones.

yes, I've read pratchett and discworld.
    I prefer his stand alone book with gaiman.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    You said you'd look up "Room," would you be interested in "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold? Forget what you saw in the movie because it does the book no justice whatsoever, but it's very dark and beautifully written. I wish I had more suggestions, though it seems our interests don't cross very well! :laugh:

meh...
    it's ok, but a bit of a let down.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I recommend you sing up for goodreads.com. You rate books you;ve read and they recommend things you might like based on your ratings of other books. If you like comedies/ sci-fi/ fantasy types, I recommend Terry Prachett's Diskworld series and anything by Neil Gaiman.

used to be huge gaiman fan, but lately he does kids stuff mostly.
    Pratchett is alright, but a bit lowest common denominator humour.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    If you can appreciate clever/funny, Douglas Adams - pick one. Terry Prachett, same thing. If you have moved to an ereader and think there's no such thing as a good zombie novel (and can overlook spotty editing) check out William Bebb's work. When reading Bebb, the characters were so compelling I often found myself wondering how I got to 100+ minutes on my exercise bike.

From the mentions further back in the thread I'd agree that Confederacy of Dunces and The Lovely Bones are well worth your time.

I've read all of Adam and most of Pratchett, thanks
  • 1efcahill
    1efcahill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you would like some humor - try reading "Paying the Piper" by Sharon McCrumb.
    She is an Appalachian (read App-a-latch-un) area writer who mixes wry humor and loveable characters into fun mysteries. Some of her other novels are darker "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" - some more trendy "St. Dale" about NASCAR, some just plain kooky "Bimbos of the Death Star". You will be entertained and charmed.
  • HS2305
    HS2305 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Q&A by Vikas Swarup is an amazing book :)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am a voracious reader as well. I'm always on the hunt for new reads. I mostly enjoy real-life crime drama, fiction detective stuff. And anything by Stephen King. I read on a Nook - LOVE it!

I'm currently reading through The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Very Tolkien-esque. I just finished the 3rd one last night, started the 4th today.

You can't go wrong with The Stand by Stephen King. It's my favorite book that I've ever read. It's a lengthy fantasy about a virus mistakenly-released by the military that kills over 99% of the population of the world. The story follows how this happens, and then how the world regroups afterward. There is a struggle between Good and Evil in control of the world.

I love the Detective Alex Cross series by James Patterson (yes, the same Patterson of The Notebook fame, but the Cross novels are completely different).
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://www.goodreads.com/
    http://www.whoelsewriteslike.com/
    These are good sites to help you find new books.

Also, I really like The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Yes, the Book Theif!! Also, I started using the Good Reads website about 1 year ago and have read some really good books based off the recommendations they give, I would definitely suggest giving that a try!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    not reading thru 5 pgs of replies to c if anyone already mentioned

:heart: :heart: Barabara Kingsolver: The Poisonwood Bible :heart: :heart:

that one was a meaty, meaty read that stuck to my ribs for quite a while. one of the last books i finished, actually (which is sad b/c it was a long time ago :frown: )

Read this about ten years ago. Was too close to home for me, if you know what I mean. But a great book!
  • wandadars
    wandadars Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea - Charles Seife

I read a great deal of popular classic literature when I first started college, and then one day I picked up this short book about a number that seems quite innocuous and discovered that numbers are fascinating.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea - Charles Seife

I read a great deal of popular classic literature when I first started college, and then one day I picked up this short book about a number that seems quite innocuous and discovered that numbers are fascinating.

I'm interested.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I am a voracious reader as well. I'm always on the hunt for new reads. I mostly enjoy real-life crime drama, fiction detective stuff. And anything by Stephen King. I read on a Nook - LOVE it!

I'm currently reading through The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Very Tolkien-esque. I just finished the 3rd one last night, started the 4th today.

You can't go wrong with The Stand by Stephen King. It's my favorite book that I've ever read. It's a lengthy fantasy about a virus mistakenly-released by the military that kills over 99% of the population of the world. The story follows how this happens, and then how the world regroups afterward. There is a struggle between Good and Evil in control of the world.

I love the Detective Alex Cross series by James Patterson (yes, the same Patterson of The Notebook fame, but the Cross novels are completely different).

I think I've read all of King's books. Don't care for Patterson, too easy.
  • mararabb
    mararabb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tend to read series books which is both gratifying that I can follow the characters I've grown to love and also incredibly frustrating when I'm waiting for the next books to come out. Outlander, et al by Diana Gabaldon is the one I'm working on currently; for light easy reading I enjoy everything Janet Evanovich. Other authors include: Frank Peretti, Brad Thor, James Patterson, and (my not-so-secret obsession) Laurell K. Hamilton.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    OK, so I didn't read all 4 pages, forgive if I've got repeats in here…

-The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (it's the start of the Baeryn series)
    -Midnight Louie series by Carole Nelson Douglas … first book is Catnap
    -anything by Jane Austin … you've read the well know classics, but have you read Mansfield Park, Persuasion, or even Northanger Abbey?
    -if you like a bit of the supernatural, try The Vampire FIles by P.N. Elrod. They are not your typical vampire stories - think 1930s private eye vampire :laugh:
    -Magic Kingdom for Sale … Sold! by Terry Brooks
    - Alanna, the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce … this first book is aimed at a bit younger audience, but as you progress through the series, the writing "grows up." I really enjoyed the series, and all the ones that followed.

Thanks but a bit too young fo rme. Can't stand AQusten - blasphemy, I know.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So many posts here! Love the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell mysteries by Laurie R. King. Also the Ethan Gage novels by William Dietrich. You said you don't want just romance, but you can't beat Victoria Holt for classic Gothic romance. 8^)
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
    Under the Skin by Michel Faber - both unforgetable

Gillespie & I by Jane Harris
    We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver (or anything else by her)

Anything by Sarah Waters, Marina Lewycka, Joanne Harris esp the 3 in the Chocolat series.