Morning work outers

Options
13»

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I schedule everything in my google calendar the night before. I usually get up at 6:15-6:45 for a 7:00 or 7:30 gym time and drink some water, check email, wake up, and then go, do my workout, and come back home. I take a shower, make coffee, pack up my stuff for the day, and I'm out the door at 8:50 or 9:50 to catch the bus for work. Because I live on a university campus and the gym is about a half mile away, I have to factor in plenty of transit time for everything, so scheduling it out down to 15 or 30 minutes helps me stay on track, especially in the morning. (I also schedule all my classes, meals, and homework, so I'm pretty much just super Type A.)

Also I hate getting up early. Especially in winter when getting out of bed means stepping into the cold. But I love running, and after hitting snooze 1-2 times (I set two alarms 5 mins apart so that my snoozes are also 5 mins apart, because that's the only way to have a 5 min snooze on an iPhone, booooooo), I remember that I have a RUN waiting for me (!!) and then I can't wait to get out of bed :)
  • naomiangus123
    naomiangus123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've recently started getting into morning work outs again and I'm loving it! I feel like a part of a secret group of people who are up before the world bettering themselves lol!. The fresh air on my skin really wakes me up and after the gym I feel so ready for the day; sometimes I'll even leave earlier so I have time to sit with a coffee in a cafe before work.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Really the only advice is grin and bear it. Sure it sucks waking up at 5 a.m. during the week and when your body gets into the habit on the weekends as well. But as the day goes on it's easier to find excuses not to get to the gym, you had a hard day at work, your tired, you have an appt. Not much else going on at 5 a.m. besides sleeping to get in your way. Best of luck and wish you all the success in the world joining the 5 a.m. crew.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I get up at 4am to do 1 hour on the treadmill. I usually watch stuff; on my iPad, that my wife would not like.
    Tuesdays and Thursdays I get up at 4:30 to use my TotalGym (a generic Chuck Norris rip off); this has been a chore but doing as much cardio as I do, it's a necessary evil to make sure I can preserve muscle.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Get up around 6:30, 7, maybe 8-ish. Do around, work out, fix breakfast, get to work around noon or so, then wrangle polygons for 8 hours and go home. They don't care when I show up as long as I show up and work.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I sleep in my exercise clothes. Then I wake up, use the bathroom, change bra, and can get out the door for a run about 15 minutes after the alarm goes off. Then it's DONE and I can come home and enjoy my coffee, shower, etc. I LOVE the feeling of having run a few miles and coming home to a quiet and dark house with everyone else still sleeping.

When I get home in the afternoons the kids want my attention and I need to make dinner, etc., so I would never get it done.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    5:30 for now, I used to get up at 5 to run but the kids new school starts later and we are now living together with my fiance so, well, not getting as much sleep. Will have to push it back to 5 if I want a longer run though, getting toward the limit of the schedule now.

I have kind of a "hard limit" of 5am as a regular wakeup time; my body needs sleep as much as it needs exercise, and the earliest I can reasonably go to bed is 9. If I do not get 7.5hr sleep my run will suck and I am more prone to injury.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    What time do you wake up in the morning? Any tips for a non morning person? Other than just do it? I really hate waking up in the morning :( it's so depressing.

I wakeup about 0530, and have my workout done by/before 0615. Yes, it sucks to get up early in the moment, but ultimately think about what you GAIN:

1) You start your day doing something positive, accomplishing a daily goal
    2) You amp your energy levels for the rest of the day
    3) You create your calorie deficit before you've even had breakfast
    4) You don't have to worry about scheduling sidetracks that derail your workout plans

In my view, for a working man/woman or someone with kids, you have two types of people: the ones who get up early and workout, and the ones who say they will workout later and regularly don't!

• chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This post is almost a year and a half old ._.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a sunrise simulation alarm clock. I get up at about the same time EVERY SINGLE DAY. Even weekends although I might snooze in for an extra 30 minutes then. No snooze alarms. I want quality sleep for as long as possible, not the post snooze alarm light sleep stuff. And, lights out at 9:00 during the week. I stay up a bit later from time to time on weekends but then I might take a little nap.

Pack everything the night before. Get up and leave.

I have a drive thru coffee place on the way to my workout. I have a tab there and get a cup of coffee black. I drink it on the way and then I walk around the crossfit place for the 10 minutes before we get going. I don't leave the house 10 minutes later, I get there 10 minutes early. If I leave 10 minutes later I might get back into bed. Get up and leave. I don't eat anything prior to my workouts.

I am more likely to make it to a morning group workout, less likely to do an individual workout.

I indulge in any nice smell nice shower and personal products. that is my reward.

I have worked out in the mornings for 25+ years. There have been a lot of things trip me up over the years. I have just eliminated them one by one.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I worked the opening shift at Starbucks for almost five years so getting up buttcrack early is not hard for me.

My gym opens at 6am so I get up at 5, get my stuff together, and walk to the gym. I do my workout and then am on the train to work for 8am.

What helps me is having everything packed by the door the night before so I don't forget anything and sometimes sleeping in my workout clothes helps too. No excuses then.

I prefer to work out in the mornings because the gym is less busy, which means I don't have to wait for equipment, and I am not tired after a full day of work.

The only thing that sucks is getting up early on my rest day, but meh...it makes me more productive and I run my errands earlier.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I get up between 3:45 and 4 am. Get to gym around 4:40. I run intervals for 20 minutes then a spun class Monday thru Friday.

It was tough at first, but you get used to it. Get everything ready beforehand. If it's a gym make some friends who keep you accountable.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Do it long enough and it becomes a habit. Even if my alarm doesn't go off, I'm usually awake by 4:30 (depending on if I went to bed on time) and once I'm awake, it's a done deal. I know that my workout is going to really get my blood flowing and get me energized for the day. I hate working out in the evenings. After work, all I want to do is eat a meal and sit my butt down and watch TV for an hour before I close my eyes again.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 and start my workout at 5.

If you want to work out in the morning, then yep...just do it. You get used to it.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    4 am. I'm out the door running by 4:15. It sucks, sucks, sucks, but the idea of having to come home from work and do it makes it suck less.

I have no responsibility to anyone except myself at 4 am, so I am the only one to blame. Not kids, not work, not anything else--that hour is mine to take care of myself.
  • OGBrojas
    OGBrojas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Something my brother taught me, as soon as you wake up, literally roll out of bed if you have to, and do a max set of pushups. That's a great way to start. Find out the workout you like to do most (or hate least) and begin with that. Maybe keep a healthy snack beside the bed if you don't have any energy in the am.
  • ToneMastaG
    ToneMastaG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 so I can work out for an hour, take a shower, get dressed, then get the 3 kids ready. It's helped me to remove all tasks from the morning other than "me" tasks. The morning is mine now. It's quiet (silence is a highly valued commodity in my house lol) and I get to get out (which doesn't happen a lot lol). I also stop and get a nice coffee while I cool down after exercising (just black... No extra calories needed here lol). I'm sure you can think of some ways to make it fun!