Save the world by eating less meat...

Options

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I just cant seem to bring myself to being a veggiterrorist.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I'll take an extra helping, please. Bacon, ham, steak, burger...I don't care. Oh wait, I'd like to request some ribs.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    bodyzen wrote: »
    I love plants! <3 Eat green, eat clean! ;)

I don't eat dirty food. :-)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    bodyzen wrote: »
    I love plants! <3 Eat green, eat clean! ;)

I don't eat dirty food. :-)
    Yeah, my mom always told me not to eat food off the floor, too.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm saving the world by eating meat-it's healthier for everyone if I'm satisfied and not hungry.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The report is total BS.
    It does not even take into account the fact that killing off all the cows would eliminate the primary source of organic fertilizer and that means more chemical fertilizers.
    Another point, there is not enough arable land to produce enough plant based food for the US population.
    Another unavoidable fact is that we assimilate animal protein better than vegetable protein.
    Soy is not a good source of protein for anyone. Soy is used to fatten up live stock. And Buddhist monks use soy to suppress libido.
    And for those who think man has more impact on the way climate changes than changes in the output of the sun, We are not that powerful .Nor to we occupy that much of the total land area.
    Nature produces more "greenhouse gasses" than all human activity combined.
    The AGGW crowd only cares about controlling us. Manufacturing a far of human caused disaster is just the current tool for that. In the 70 they same "scientists" argued we were going into an ice age and demanded the exact same actions to 'stop' it.
    What human industrial activity cause the global warming that ended the last ice age?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    i don't think people are joking around about eating meat because they are selfish and don't care about the environment..

they're probably doing it because its asinine to suggest that eating less meat is going to help with climate change. there are larger contributing factors to be addressed.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until the rich try foisting dead bugs as a protein source off on American workers so they can have all the steak for themselves. Finally, there will be revolution.

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Churrascaria-Fogo-De-Ch%C3%A3o.jpeg

Which is why Fogo De Chao is my favorite restaurant; where you sit back and relax while 16 cuts of delectable fire roasted meats are brought to your table, sliced, and served by gaucho chefs. All you can eat.... I tried to overdose on protein there a few times and I keep failing. I should try again soon.
  • livijane07
    livijane07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 3 years, trying to save the animals and the environment. I was constantly ill, a simple cold would turn into a pretty severe throat infection on a monthly basis. My diet was incredibly healthy and full of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, quorn, tofu etc. I've been eating meat again for the last 4 years and my quality of life has improved so much - I think I've been ill about 2 or 3 times in that duration.

Yes, I feel bad about damaging the environment. Yes, I feel terrible about slaughtering so many animals. But I would prefer to be healthy rather than constantly ill.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    People are selfish; can't deny it. "I don't care if it's good for the environment; I want what I want because I want it."

I've been planning more vegetarian meals around here. I'd like to be fully vegetarian, but son and husband are not on board, and once I've cooked meat for them, I want some. 3 oz in a day isn't so bad, is it?
    Soooooooooo then you're just as "selfish".
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    The report is total BS.

And for those who think man has more impact on the way climate changes than changes in the output of the sun, We are not that powerful .Nor to we occupy that much of the total land area.
    The AGGW crowd only cares about controlling us. Manufacturing a far of human caused disaster is just the current tool for that. In the 70 they same "scientists" argued we were going into an ice age and demanded the exact same actions to 'stop' it.
    What human industrial activity cause the global warming that ended the last ice age?

You are my favorite :smiley:!
  • Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options
    livijane07 wrote: »
    I was vegetarian for 3 years, trying to save the animals and the environment. I was constantly ill, a simple cold would turn into a pretty severe throat infection on a monthly basis. My diet was incredibly healthy and full of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, quorn, tofu etc. I've been eating meat again for the last 4 years and my quality of life has improved so much - I think I've been ill about 2 or 3 times in that duration.

Yes, I feel bad about damaging the environment. Yes, I feel terrible about slaughtering so many animals. But I would prefer to be healthy rather than constantly ill.

Same here. I didn't get ill as vegan, I felt really great, but at some point my appetite turned insane and I found myself eating sweet potatoes by the pound. Being fat is not being healthy, so I went back to eating meat. For now, anyway.

But this new official comment does seriously worry me. Because meat is heavily subsidized and if they drop subsidies no one but the very wealthiest will be able to afford it on a regular basis. And I'm a cynic, I don't think for a second it will help the environment. It will just be one more healthy food reserved for a few while the rest of us get sick eating crap foods.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    I can't wait until the rich try foisting dead bugs as a protein source off on American workers so they can have all the steak for themselves. Finally, there will be revolution.

You know soylent green is an option :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,928 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    The report is total BS.

You are my favorite :smiley:!
    Methane accounts for 2% towards global warming, and the biggest factor for that is melting icebergs, so if anyone really want to get actively involved, rent a tugboat. j/k
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Great. So we eat more plants, live longer, produce more children and inflict yet more of the most destructive species the world has ever seen on it. That'll be super awesome for the environment!

Alternatively, we could just eat a balanced diet and breed less.

tumblr_luoxfiNwEr1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You kidding? They're marketing that stuff *to* the rich. $4 a bar. SMH.

https://www.exoprotein.com/products
  • Jolinia
    Options

You kidding? They're marketing that stuff *to* the rich. $4 a bar. SMH.

https://www.exoprotein.com/products

That's one thing the rich can keep! I have a thing about bugs. They come in the house, I capture them unharmed and put them out. Even the sight of a dead one grosses me out.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I do believe that there are other more important ways to save the environment - such as:

Send less stuff to landfills. Don't use so much plastic (i.e., stop buying so much bottled water, soda, juice, etc). Do not use so much paper. Recycle what you can. Don't run to replace your electronic gadget as soon as the new version comes on the market. Use less electricity and other fuels such as gasoline and propane/natural gas. Use rechargeable batteries.

Ride a bike to work (yeah even in rural areas; one of my middle school teachers used to ride his bike to work every day, several miles one way...I think the only time he ever drove was when there was snow/ice and it was too dangerous to ride). I'm actually going to try to do that one or two days a week when I don't have appointments with clients (I'm a real estate agent, can't take them out on a bike, lol.) Or take public transportation when available.

Use less water by taking shorter showers and turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth. Use eco friendly cleaners / detergents. Stop building new houses / shopping centers and instead repurpose/remodel ones already in existence. Keep your thermostat a teensy bit lower in the winter. Don't rush to turn on the AC when the temp reaches 78 degrees.

Spend more time hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, snowshoeing instead of ATV's, snowmobiles, jet skis, and motor boats.

Plant a garden in your yard to cultivate natural / native plants instead of using weed killers to cultivate an unnaturally smooth, weed free lawn. Plant your own leafy greens like spinach and herbs and lettuce. Grow a container garden on your patio or rooftop or deck.

That said I would like to see less "factory meat farms" that produce humungous amounts of waste every day and I hate to see animals kept in inhumane conditions. Regulate meat producers to provide safe, sanitary, humane conditions for the animals.

But no...I'm not going to stop eating meat, or even cut back. I don't eat that much as it is.

• Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

You know soylent green is an option :)

Haha Look up soylent, actually. A company is marketing it. It's a complete meal replacement formula for about ten dollars a day. I actually applaud their motives and I enjoy reading the DIY recipes various people have come up with. That said, researchers still don't know enough about what we really need to consume for optimal health and the full properties of the real foods we eat, so I'm not ready to switch to a convenient but potentially down the road detrimental replacement shake.

Disclaimer: As far as I know, the stuff isn't people.