Save the world by eating less meat...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just curious...this is a question for anyone...if we mammals evolved to consume meat instead of just berries and other flora, is it evolutionarily advantageous to stop doing what we have evolved to do in the first place? This is purely hypothetical, because humans will be killed off long before we have time to evolve in a drastic way, such as becoming herbivores.

I feel like we would be undoing about 25000 years of evolution if we all went vegetarian, and it would not save the earth because human population would STILL BE INCREASING. The problem is just humans having babies and more babies, and using more and more natural resources in an unnatural way. Population is geometrically increasing because everyone has to have 3-11 kids.

Hominids have been eating basically everything (meat and plants) for over 100,000 years. Animal domestication and agriculture are only around 12,000 years ago. Vegetarianism? Probably only since classical antiquity about 3,000 years ago.

Also, the herbivore/carnivore line is actually really blurry. Deer (usually herbivores) will eat meat if they have to.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just curious...this is a question for anyone...if we mammals evolved to consume meat instead of just berries and other flora, is it evolutionarily advantageous to stop doing what we have evolved to do in the first place? This is purely hypothetical, because humans will be killed off long before we have time to evolve in a drastic way, such as becoming herbivores.

I feel like we would be undoing about 25000 years of evolution if we all went vegetarian, and it would not save the earth because human population would STILL BE INCREASING. The problem is just humans having babies and more babies, and using more and more natural resources in an unnatural way. Population is geometrically increasing because everyone has to have 3-11 kids.

Even the Pope said ~ you don't need so damn kids (not the Pope's verbal LOL). No, I'm not catholic and yes, the Duggar's don't need any either (even tho I watch the darn show, it's a fascination for me). Just thinkin'.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hmm, yeah i'll get right on that. Cuz doom.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »

Even the Pope said ~ you don't need so damn kids (not the Pope's verbal LOL). No, I'm not catholic and yes, the Duggar's don't need any either (even tho I watch the darn show, it's a fascination for me). Just thinkin'.

Not that I am trying to shift the conversation or be too abstract or anything, but which of the two sexes do you think "wants" all those kids? Could it be the women making the choices to have more kids rather than the guys? Could it be genetics, and more girls are on the earth than men for a reason, so if they want all the kids and they multiply...

Of course, maybe the Mormon population just exploded and all these Mormon women wanted to fill an E350 with a buncha their kids, and then those kids each have their own bus of kids and....well you get the picture. More people, less food, more global warming from human intervention, and we all get killed by an asteroid in 2029.

Wow, my mind goes on a tangent when im baked. I just read that and it was...very fluid! Whoever that man is that said "some of the best ideas come from sittin on the john," I think I know what he is talking about!
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    I eat less meat anyway cos red meat is expensive and I like variety, chicken and fish - will this save the world?
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Not that I am trying to shift the conversation or be too abstract or anything, but which of the two sexes do you think "wants" all those kids? Could it be the women making the choices to have more kids rather than the guys? Could it be genetics, and more girls are on the earth than men for a reason, so if they want all the kids and they multiply...

Of course, maybe the Mormon population just exploded and all these Mormon women wanted to fill an E350 with a buncha their kids, and then those kids each have their own bus of kids and....well you get the picture. More people, less food, more global warming from human intervention, and we all get killed by an asteroid in 2029.

Wow, my mind goes on a tangent when im baked. I just read that and it was...very fluid! Whoever that man is that said "some of the best ideas come from sittin on the john," I think I know what he is talking about!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....?
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    I repeat
    I eat less meat anyway cos red meat is expensive and I like variety, chicken and fish - will this save the world?
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chain_Ring wrote: »
    I like both. I think I'll eat both. Except for tomatoes, I hate them.

This guy knows.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You can pry my meat out of my cold, dead fingers. To hell with the world, Molly needs steak.