Save the world by eating less meat...

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Yes, stop eating meat... I'm tired of not being able to find the steaks I want at Wal-Mart because people who don't work get there before I do, and take it all.
    Steak at Wal-Mart? :\

Yea... I live in a country area... I don't have a lot of choices to get meat....

Isn't there like a good country butcher or something? When we used to live in a semi rural area of Tennessee, there was a whole in the wall grocer/butcher - lets just say cleanliness was not his strong suit but he would cut steaks to order and man were they tasty...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Yes, stop eating meat... I'm tired of not being able to find the steaks I want at Wal-Mart because people who don't work get there before I do, and take it all.

Yea... I live in a country area... I don't have a lot of choices to get meat....

Isn't there like a good country butcher or something? When we used to live in a semi rural area of Tennessee, there was a whole in the wall grocer/butcher - lets just say cleanliness was not his strong suit but he would cut steaks to order and man were they tasty...
    Now I want a nice filet :s<3
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,933 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I do believe that there are other more important ways to save the environment - such as:

Send less stuff to landfills. Don't use so much plastic (i.e., stop buying so much bottled water, soda, juice, etc). Do not use so much paper. Recycle what you can. Don't run to replace your electronic gadget as soon as the new version comes on the market. Use less electricity and other fuels such as gasoline and propane/natural gas. Use rechargeable batteries.

Ride a bike to work (yeah even in rural areas; one of my middle school teachers used to ride his bike to work every day, several miles one way...I think the only time he ever drove was when there was snow/ice and it was too dangerous to ride). I'm actually going to try to do that one or two days a week when I don't have appointments with clients (I'm a real estate agent, can't take them out on a bike, lol.) Or take public transportation when available.

Use less water by taking shorter showers and turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth. Use eco friendly cleaners / detergents. Stop building new houses / shopping centers and instead repurpose/remodel ones already in existence. Keep your thermostat a teensy bit lower in the winter. Don't rush to turn on the AC when the temp reaches 78 degrees.

Spend more time hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, snowshoeing instead of ATV's, snowmobiles, jet skis, and motor boats.

Plant a garden in your yard to cultivate natural / native plants instead of using weed killers to cultivate an unnaturally smooth, weed free lawn. Plant your own leafy greens like spinach and herbs and lettuce. Grow a container garden on your patio or rooftop or deck.

That said I would like to see less "factory meat farms" that produce humungous amounts of waste every day and I hate to see animals kept in inhumane conditions. Regulate meat producers to provide safe, sanitary, humane conditions for the animals.

But no...I'm not going to stop eating meat, or even cut back. I don't eat that much as it is.
    Friends of mine who live a few km's a way live totally off the grid, drive south in winter to their sailboat, because it's not sustainable living during that time. Who also have an organic garden where they sell their goods during the summer and where I as a chef source many of their produce, especially their greens, never saw anything that compares, and they deliver with their ebikes right to my place of business. When they come to my house for dinner, local pickerel is a favorite as is the lamb and goes great with the stuffed zucchini blossoms and some of the local pinot.......can't think why I would want beans/soy/tempeh in the shape of fish, nope just doesn't do the wine any justice.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Now I want a nice filet :s<3

Nah - go for something that has real flavor - a big juicy ribeye or something....

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think I will wait until Al Gore confirms that carnivorous tendencies are destroying the planet before I believe that it is true...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I think I will wait until Al Gore confirms that carnivorous tendencies are destroying the planet before I believe that it is true...

Hey didn't he invent carnivores??

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    I can't wait until the rich try foisting dead bugs as a protein source off on American workers so they can have all the steak for themselves. Finally, there will be revolution.
    You kidding? They're marketing that stuff *to* the rich. $4 a bar. SMH.

https://www.exoprotein.com/products
    And it's either that or a single cricket stuck in a lollipop sold for the same price. It'd be much cheaper to breed your own but crickets are loud and can be smelly.

OH MY GOD that Fogo De Chao picture is amazing
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do believe that there are other more important ways to save the environment - such as:

Send less stuff to landfills. Don't use so much plastic (i.e., stop buying so much bottled water, soda, juice, etc). Do not use so much paper. Recycle what you can. Don't run to replace your electronic gadget as soon as the new version comes on the market. Use less electricity and other fuels such as gasoline and propane/natural gas. Use rechargeable batteries.

Ride a bike to work (yeah even in rural areas; one of my middle school teachers used to ride his bike to work every day, several miles one way...I think the only time he ever drove was when there was snow/ice and it was too dangerous to ride). I'm actually going to try to do that one or two days a week when I don't have appointments with clients (I'm a real estate agent, can't take them out on a bike, lol.) Or take public transportation when available.

Use less water by taking shorter showers and turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth. Use eco friendly cleaners / detergents. Stop building new houses / shopping centers and instead repurpose/remodel ones already in existence. Keep your thermostat a teensy bit lower in the winter. Don't rush to turn on the AC when the temp reaches 78 degrees.

Spend more time hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, snowshoeing instead of ATV's, snowmobiles, jet skis, and motor boats.

Plant a garden in your yard to cultivate natural / native plants instead of using weed killers to cultivate an unnaturally smooth, weed free lawn. Plant your own leafy greens like spinach and herbs and lettuce. Grow a container garden on your patio or rooftop or deck.

That said I would like to see less "factory meat farms" that produce humungous amounts of waste every day and I hate to see animals kept in inhumane conditions. Regulate meat producers to provide safe, sanitary, humane conditions for the animals.

But no...I'm not going to stop eating meat, or even cut back. I don't eat that much as it is.
    Friends of mine who live a few km's a way live totally off the grid, drive south in winter to their sailboat, because it's not sustainable living during that time. Who also have an organic garden where they sell their goods during the summer and where I as a chef source many of their produce, especially their greens, never saw anything that compares, and they deliver with their ebikes right to my place of business. When they come to my house for dinner, local pickerel is a favorite as is the lamb and goes great with the stuffed zucchini blossoms and some of the local pinot.......can't think why I would want beans/soy/tempeh in the shape of fish, nope just doesn't do the wine any justice.

What is an ebike?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

What is an ebike?

I was going to ask the same thing. Probably an electric motorbike of some sort?

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    I can't wait until the rich try foisting dead bugs as a protein source off on American workers so they can have all the steak for themselves. Finally, there will be revolution.
    You kidding? They're marketing that stuff *to* the rich. $4 a bar. SMH.

https://www.exoprotein.com/products
    And it's either that or a single cricket stuck in a lollipop sold for the same price. It'd be much cheaper to breed your own but crickets are loud and can be smelly.

OH MY GOD that Fogo De Chao picture is amazing

I'm on an IF fast day, I think I'll just come back and read this every time I get hungry. Should get me through nicely.
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love being vegan! It truly is the best way to help the planet and animals while taking care of your own body!

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,933 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

What is an ebike?
    I was going to ask the same thing. Probably an electric motorbike of some sort?
    It's basically a bicycle with a small electric motor that plugs into any electrical outlet......they use solar. Both have them with baskets back and front and they generally realize about 100 kms between charges. these look very much like normal bicycles, but of course there are the uber high tech ones as well.

• markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The earth was made on purpose for people to live on. Eating more or less meat will not change the fact that this is where we live.

We're supposed to eat some protein, some fat and some carbs as well. Eat too much and you know what happens. Not enough to eat and you starve.

Eating meat is a choice. I don't try to convince my vegetarian friends to eat meat and they don't try to force me to eat veg. Most of them are Hindus and pretty easy to get along with.

My choice is to enjoy it all in moderation while I lose the pounds.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What the Federal Government forget to take into account is what will actually happen if we eat less meat and more plants.

Try and follow my infallible logic created by my superior intellect:

Granted, there will be less cow flatulence (we'll just call this an air-biscuit) because there will be less cows. I am down with this logic.

HOWEVER!!!!!

If people eat more plant fiber there will be waaaaaaaaaaaay more people making air-biscuits...and there are a lot more people than cows.

I never smelled a cow air-biscuit - but I can't imagine the world being saved, and being cleaner with more people making air-biscuits.

Just sayin'
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Great. So we eat more plants, live longer, produce more children and inflict yet more of the most destructive species the world has ever seen on it. That'll be super awesome for the environment!

Alternatively, we could just eat a balanced diet and breed less.

I love everything you said here.
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    So long as I'm here, I will have steak.

Ditto.

Does hunting for (most of) my food count as eating clean?

Just curious.

Pretty sure it counts for burning calories. And that's something.
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What the Federal Government forget to take into account is what will actually happen if we eat less meat and more plants.

Granted, there will be less cow flatulence (we'll just call this an air-biscuit) because there will be less cows. I am down with this logic.

HOWEVER!!!!!

If people eat more plant fiber there will be waaaaaaaaaaaay more people making air-biscuits...and there are a lot more people than cows.

I never smelled a cow air-biscuit - but I can't imagine the world being saved, and being cleaner with more people making air-biscuits.

Just sayin'

Cows are more gassy because they are ruminants, humans are not.
    "...the stomach of ruminant animals produces a lot of gas. The animals continually belch, once each minute, to get rid of the gas." Source: http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0690e/t0690e05.htm

The gassiest people I have ever encountered were on the Atkin's Diet.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    markja wrote: »
    The earth was made on purpose for people to live on.

LOLWUT?

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    We should probably look at consuming more homo sapien flesh
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    jeneticir wrote: »

HOWEVER!!!!!

Just sayin'

Cows are more gassy because they are ruminants, humans are not.
    "...the stomach of ruminant animals produces a lot of gas. The animals continually belch, once each minute, to get rid of the gas." Source: http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0690e/t0690e05.htm

The gassiest people I have ever encountered were on the Atkin's Diet.

thats interesting