Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I drank diet soda when I was fat and lazy

I drink it now I'm thin and fit

as a fat, lazy person I suppose in the back of my mind it made the amount I was eating not seem as bad, because after all I wasn't adding wasted calories from the soda was I ... I think this is probably a big part of the correlation factor in the studies

as a thin fit person, I like the taste and I don't have to log it - it hasn't helped me get to this state it has about as much relevance as an aardvark does to my weight loss
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    It is difficult to base any opinion on the little snippet in the paper.
    here is the full study:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/full

Thanks. So, to get this straight, the data relies on self reporting, and there appears to be no attempt to remove any confounding variables such as what else they were eating.

Let me suggest a counter hypothesis: Fat people drink diet soda more than regular soda.

Yes, definitely, but what is strange is that their weight/waist circumference increased while drinking diet soda. So they kept gaining weight despite drinking DS. This is someway counterintuitive. So maybe, as someone already suggested in this thread, people who drink DS and don't count calories think they are allowed to eat more and/or maybe there is some metabolic effect (increased hunger?).

Looking at the baseline figures, the people who preferred DS were already fatter. We could argue that they just continued an existing trend, driven by existing behaviours.

So, yes: I'd agree with the hypothesis that people think they can eat more because of DS. That doesn't make DS the culprit for their weight gain though.

I drank diet soda before I ever gained weight. My waist got bigger, not due to the soda, but due to me eating more. And I never thought, "Oh, I can have the double cheeseburger and fries because I got diet soda!" I just got used to the taste of diet and prefer it.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You keep doing what you think you need to do and I'll keep doing what I've been doing, since its been working pretty well for me ;)

Thats why it says it "could" , not "will" cause weight gain,and everyones personal experience is different. Unfortunately its the chemicals in it that are more harmful than anything, whether you lose weight, maintain or gain.
    I cant have the chemicals, or preservatives, or additives they put into food and drinks so I dont have a choice, avoiding them as best I can makes for a difficult day to say the least.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda everyday. I just make sure I drink my all of my daily water goal too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I would bet money that most of us have been to a fast food restaurant or had a friend or coworker that got Mcdonald's or Burger King and got the meal with a large diet coke. The irony is amazing. As if the diet coke was the solution. Probably because people think sugar is bad, so avoid soda but pay no attention to calories.
    This actually makes more sense to me now. I could get a 32 ounce Dr Pepper and a refill for probably 600 calories (by the time you figure in the ice volume) or I could get unsweet tea or a diet drink and suddenly my hamburger splurge 600 calories lower.

Now, obviously, the diet drink isn't going to offset the double/double with cheese and fries, but it knocks more than 25% off the calorie total. That's a win, if it means I can do it more often and stay on track.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-5 cans of diet soda and about 50 packets on Splenda for my coffee/tea per day and no issues with gaining weight or a gut.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Over the years I got used to drinking diet coke and just prefer the taste. I can honestly say that, even when I was at my heaviest and ordering a whopper with cheese and a large fries with a diet coke, I did not believe for a minute that drinking the diet coke negated the calories in the food I was eating.

But that's probably just me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Over the years I got used to drinking diet coke and just prefer the taste. I can honestly say that, even when I was at my heaviest and ordering a whopper with cheese and a large fries with a diet coke, I did not believe for a minute that drinking the diet coke negated the calories in the food I was eating.

Well, no, I just said that's me before you. :wink: But maybe you and I are outside the norm. I just drank diet soda because diet soda is what I drink. I never gave it a second thought.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Believe me, a diet coke is far better than the other kind for a diabetic. On principle I prefer to eat my limited calories than drink them so a diet coke is a far better option.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

You're not alone. I prefer the taste of diet soda as well as Coke Zero to full-calorie sodas.
  • betuel75
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I drink 1-5 cans of diet soda and about 50 packets on Splenda for my coffee/tea per day and no issues with gaining weight or a gut.

That just makes no sense.

What doesnt?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Me too. I suspect it's common.

I switched from regular to diet in my senior year of high school (just because that's what most of the girls drank and I felt weird getting regular, which is kind of pathetic). As a result, I never drank regular soda often at all and by the time I was drinking soda a lot in my 20s I couldn't stand regular anymore--tasted syrupy. I would have sent back a regular soda if given it by accident, as I simply disliked it, but I never assumed it negated the calories in anything else I was eating.
  • betuel75
    Options
    I use splenda in my many coffees and teas througout the day and i drink a lot of diet soda. I consume what i want. Wheather it makes sense to you or not should matter to you. Unless your concerned with my well being for over consumption of artificial sweetners.

What doesnt?

50 packets of Splenda a day and 5 diet cokes.

I use splenda in my many coffees and teas througout the day and i drink a lot of diet soda. I consume what i want. Wheather it makes sense to you or not should matter to you. Unless your concerned with my well being for over consumption of artificial sweetners.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Each packet of Splenda has approximately 3 calories. If you're really using 50 a day, that's about 150 calories you're not accounting for.
  • betuel75
    Options
    Each packet of Splenda has approximately 3 calories. If you're really using 50 a day, that's about 150 calories you're not accounting for.

Thats fine. Its not affecting in any way.