Cutting sugar in diet

Options
Hey everyone,
I was wondering how everyone was staying within their sugar goal for the day. The recommendation staying at 68g of sugar or less is very difficult for me to meet. I used to blow by it the end of breakfast but after cutting soda and other sugary drinks i still normally go over the limit.

For example today, this has been what i have eaten today.
BF
Veggie omelet with cheese
Pinto beans
Apple
Water

Lunch
Chicken sandwich
Water

Snack
Low-fat yogurt
Granola
Chia seeds
Banana
Water

I think for the most part, that is a solid diet and right now i'm on target to be right at my goals for calories, fiber, vitamins (right now i'm over on vitamin A), cholesterol and everything else but i am already at 87 grams of sugar. The two things that have the most sugar according to MFP is banana at 28g, followed by the apple at 16g. I'm not sure if these are very accurate or if i should weigh the fruit and only eat what matches exactly the portions MFP is going by. Just curious on what everyone else has been doing or is having this problem.

Alex

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I always go over on sugar, so I just don't track it. I track fiber instead. Unless you have a medical reason, you really don't have to cut sugar to lose weight or be healthy. All you have to do is stay in a calorie deficit and try and get enough protein/fats to stay satisfied.

Your diet looks fine. I would not worry about sugar at all if I were you.
  • schafer_stacy
    schafer_stacy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cut out fruit almost completely and have replaced any treats with Atkins treats... they still make me feel like I'm getting something sweet without all the added sugar and carbs... So far I haven't had any trouble keeping my sugars at almost zero. Hope this helps you...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I eat all of the sugars, every day. the world will be in short supply of sugar soon enough.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your intake of it, going over is fine if you're still in a calorie deficit.
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think your example looks great, I wouldn't worry too much about fruit sugars. I also wouldn't worry about tracking your vitamins and such unless you have a deficeincy. You've made a lot of good changes- keep it up!
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Fruit has natural sugars. What you want to steer away from is added sugars. I personally don't worry about fruit and sometimes I add a little (like a teaspoon) of pure honey in my tea. I try to stay away from boxed or packaged food anyway but if I do eat a granola bar or something I look to see how much added if any it has. The rule I go by is if the added sugar is any higher than 10G I put it back.
  • bueale
    bueale Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you were all a big help
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I cut out fruit almost completely and have replaced any treats with Atkins treats... they still make me feel like I'm getting something sweet without all the added sugar and carbs... So far I haven't had any trouble keeping my sugars at almost zero. Hope this helps you...

wait, so you cut out all fruit and replaced it with an atkins treat???

that is a first...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Fruit has natural sugars. What you want to steer away from is added sugars. I personally don't worry about fruit and sometimes I add a little (like a teaspoon) of pure honey in my tea. I try to stay away from boxed or packaged food anyway but if I do eat a granola bar or something I look to see how much added if any it has. The rule I go by is if the added sugar is any higher than 10G I put it back.

LOL no …

source of sugar does not matter…what matters is dosage level in overall diet.

OP - just keep doing what you are doing and eat in a calorie deficit...
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    In my opinion and in the opinion of countless "experts" including Elle Penner who is the Registered Dietitian and Food & Nutrition Editor at MyFitnesssPal, added sugar does matter.

These recommendations were posted yesterday on MFP's Facebook page and are the recommendations from the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which is a group of 14 nationally recognised experts in the fields of nutition, medicine and public health. Their report, designed to inform the federal government of current scientific evidence regarding diet, nutrition and health, will be considered as two federal government agencies develop the latest edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, to be released later this year. The committee also recommends easing up on aggressive sodium restrictions and, for the first time, quantifying limits on added sugars.

The full report can be found at http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/eggs-coffee-are-in-added-sugars-are-out/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook

Here is just a small portion of the report.

"Eggs & Coffee Are In, Added Sugars Are Out

1. Ease up on Added Sugars

Added sugars contribute little else but extra calories to our diets; this is why the committee now recommends Americans limit their intake to 10 percent of calories. For someone eating a 1,500-calorie diet, this comes out to about 38 grams of added sugar, or one 12-ounce cola per day. Unfortunately, added sugars have infiltrated our food supply and are now found in everything from packaged bread to salad dressing—so even if you generally avoid sweets and sodas, you’re likely consuming more added sugars than you think. This recommendation coincides with a larger effort to help consumers quantify added sugars in their diet, something that still proves impossible to do simply by looking at the Nutrition Facts label."

OP, your menu looks great. Two or three fruits a day is absolutely nothing to worry about. Eat and enjoy. The issue is "added sugar."
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies and less fruit. This sounds like you have hit upon something that is working for you and I would say you should stick with it until it doesn't anymore. I do recommend curbing added sugars but if fruit is working for you enjoy!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    In my opinion and in the opinion of countless "experts" including Elle Penner who is the Registered Dietitian and Food & Nutrition Editor at MyFitnesssPal, added sugar does matter.

These recommendations were posted yesterday on MFP's Facebook page and are the recommendations from the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which is a group of 14 nationally recognised experts in the fields of nutition, medicine and public health. Their report, designed to inform the federal government of current scientific evidence regarding diet, nutrition and health, will be considered as two federal government agencies develop the latest edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, to be released later this year. The committee also recommends easing up on aggressive sodium restrictions and, for the first time, quantifying limits on added sugars.

The full report can be found at http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/eggs-coffee-are-in-added-sugars-are-out/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook

Added sugars contribute little else but extra calories to our diets; this is why the committee now recommends Americans limit their intake to 10 percent of calories. For someone eating a 1,500-calorie diet, this comes out to about 38 grams of added sugar, or one 12-ounce cola per day. Unfortunately, added sugars have infiltrated our food supply and are now found in everything from packaged bread to salad dressing—so even if you generally avoid sweets and sodas, you’re likely consuming more added sugars than you think. This recommendation coincides with a larger effort to help consumers quantify added sugars in their diet, something that still proves impossible to do simply by looking at the Nutrition Facts label."

OP, your menu looks great. Two or three fruits a day is absolutely nothing to worry about. Eat and enjoy. The issue is "added sugar."

yea, I am going with a no on that one..

I get about 65 to 100 a day and am cutting right now and am down two pounds…

and just because the Editor of MPF says it does not make it true...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I agree. My take on that post is this: If someone with no knowledge whatsoever about nutrition or calories is mindlessly eating and drinking sodas all day long, then the added sugar can add calories to their diet, and that has the potential to cause them to put on weight. Once you decide to start educating yourself about health and nutrition, and you count calories, then your added sugars should not matter, because you're conscious of your overall calorie intake.

It's not the sugars, or any other one nutrient, in foods that cause people to gain weight. It's the calories.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

She is also MPF 's Dietitian and I would be of the understanding she would adhere to the dietary rules set by the "powers that be" on this site. She is also following the recommendations of the nationally recognised experts appointed to inform the federal government of current scientific evidence regarding diet which will be considered to develop the Dietary Guideline for Americans for 2015.

Ndj, you are telling me that they are all wrong and we are to follow your advice so yeah, I am going with a no on that one....
  • ndj1979
    Options

She is also MPF 's Dietitian and I would be of the understanding she would adhere to the dietary rules set by the "powers that be" on this site. She is also following the recommendations of the nationally recognised experts appointed to inform the federal government of current scientific evidence regarding diet which will be considered to develop the Dietary Guideline for Americans for 2015.

Ndj, you are telling me that they are all wrong and we are to follow your advice so yeah, I am going with a no on that one....

I'm not telling you to do anything. I'm telling you that those recommendations are rubbish.

I eat plenty off sugar and have no issues with health or losing weight....

And government and science never go hand in hand
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say exclude meat though. It just says eat more plant, "less" red and processed meat.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

wait, so you cut out all fruit and replaced it with an atkins treat???

that is a first...

I was wondering about this too. Don't Atkins treats have sugar? I thought they were sweetened with fruit sugar.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Everything in moderation.