Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    I was wondering about this too. Don't Atkins treats have sugar? I thought they were sweetened with fruit sugar.

artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols.
    But, sugar alcohol is still sugar, even if the calorie content is less and is supposed to cause a smaller rise in blood glucose.

Sugar alcohol is sugar that makes you poop!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. Don't Atkins treats have sugar? I thought they were sweetened with fruit sugar.

But, sugar alcohol is still sugar, even if the calorie content is less and is supposed to cause a smaller rise in blood glucose.

Ooohhhhh.

:)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Be careful - people might read this and use them to try and invent the latest cleanse or weight loss supplement!

As a matter of fact.....brb, headed to my lab.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was informed today by my General Practitioner who has a speciality in health medicine that I have an intolerance to Carbohydrates due to the "roller-coaster" ride my body has been on as a result of excessively high blood sugar levels over time. Although rather simplistic, the explanation I was offered was that my cells have become resistant to insulin due to the constantly high levels of sugar in my blood-stream. High sugar levelled stimulate the pancreas to produce the hormone insulin. Since the primary function of insulin is to facilitate the production and storage of fat from sugar...guess what happens if I eat too many carbs and even worse, when I eat even small quantities of sugar (remember that almost all foods eventually breakdown into sugar) . It seems to me that the issue isn't added vs "natural" sugars as much as the quantity of sugar baring in mind our pre-existing insulin levels as shaped by our physiology and body chemistry and how our cells have been impacted by blood sugar fluctuations over time. I wonder how many of us "obese" individuals realise that we are on the fasttrack road to diabetis 2 if we are not careful of sugar (and excessive carbohydrate intake)? It's food for though both literally and figuratively.

I don't know enough about this to argue against your doctor fully, but yesterday, I learned that protein spikes insulin more than carbohydrates do. Insulin isn't the problem.

I will leave the science to someone with more knowledge than I to explain.

Protein does not spike insulin more than carbs. The spike is about the same. However, the glucagon that is also released when protein is consumed counteracts the effects of the insulin. This does not happen with carbohydrates.

Excess insulin is a problem because it promotes fat storage, can lead to insulin resistance, and after a time of overproduction it destroys the beta cells in the pancreas which causes the insulin levels to drop and blood glucose to rise to diabetic levels. Not to mention those like me who overproduce insulin and are sensitive to it: hypoglycemic. Meaning if I eat carbs, I produce too much insulin, and my blood glucose drops to dangerous levels.

I wouldn't say insulin isn't a problem. I wouldn't say it is the problem.. But it is a problem for some people.
    I was informed today by my General Practitioner who has a speciality in health medicine that I have an intolerance to Carbohydrates due to the "roller-coaster" ride my body has been on as a result of excessively high blood sugar levels over time. Although rather simplistic, the explanation I was offered was that my cells have become resistant to insulin due to the constantly high levels of sugar in my blood-stream. High sugar levelled stimulate the pancreas to produce the hormone insulin. Since the primary function of insulin is to facilitate the production and storage of fat from sugar...guess what happens if I eat too many carbs and even worse, when I eat even small quantities of sugar (remember that almost all foods eventually breakdown into sugar) . It seems to me that the issue isn't added vs "natural" sugars as much as the quantity of sugar baring in mind our pre-existing insulin levels as shaped by our physiology and body chemistry and how our cells have been impacted by blood sugar fluctuations over time. I wonder how many of us "obese" individuals realise that we are on the fasttrack road to diabetis 2 if we are not careful of sugar (and excessive carbohydrate intake)? It's food for though both literally and figuratively.

Sugar is carbs. Carbs are what your pancreas is responding to..

The issue is eating straight carbs rather than a healthy combination of carbs, fat and protein to help regulate blood glucose levels...if you have some sort of insulin issue.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar and just stay within my carb goal.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    It doesn't say exclude meat though. It just says eat more plant, "less" red and processed meat.

Not sure how I should read "plant based diet" then.

I reread it. Then I looked at the report and searched it for plant based diet which came up with the (traditional) Mediterranean diet. Interesting.

• amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bueale wrote: »

For example today, this has been what i have eaten today.
    BF
    Veggie omelet with cheese
    Pinto beans
    Apple
    Water

Lunch
    Chicken sandwich
    Water

Snack
    Low-fat yogurt
    Granola
    Chia seeds
    Banana
    Water

Alex

I say Apple, banana, yogurt and granola combined could be the prob. I usually don't care about sugars from whole foods like fruits. But if that's your goal, Possibly stick to 2 servings of fruit and cut out any added sugars found in things like yogurt. Instead add extras veggies to omlet or rice. And for snack do celery w/ natural peanut butter.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I do not eat a lot of fruit except for grapefruit juice, tart cherry juice and berries. I eat dark chocolate sweetened with stevia and really watch the added sugar by being careful with the processed foods, most of which have a lot of added sugar.

I like unsweetened soy milk instead of regular milk.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I do not eat a lot of fruit except for grapefruit juice, tart cherry juice and berries. I eat dark chocolate sweetened with stevia and really watch the added sugar by being careful with the processed foods, most of which have a lot of added sugar.

I like unsweetened soy milk instead of regular milk.

Where do you find chocolate with Stevia? I love Stevia.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yea, I am going with a no on that one..

I get about 65 to 100 a day and am cutting right now and am down two pounds…

and just because the Editor of MPF says it does not make it true...

She is also MPF 's Dietitian and I would be of the understanding she would adhere to the dietary rules set by the "powers that be" on this site. She is also following the recommendations of the nationally recognised experts appointed to inform the federal government of current scientific evidence regarding diet which will be considered to develop the Dietary Guideline for Americans for 2015.

Ndj, you are telling me that they are all wrong and we are to follow your advice so yeah, I am going with a no on that one....

I'm not telling you to do anything. I'm telling you that those recommendations are rubbish.

I eat plenty off sugar and have no issues with health or losing weight....

And government and science never go hand in hand

Well feel free to tell them for yourself that their submissions are "rubbish" as the report is open for public comment. Here is the full report - http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/

"As announced in the Federal Register [PDF - 181KB], the public is encouraged to view the Committee’s Advisory Report and provide written comments through midnight E.D.T. on April 8, 2015. The public will have an opportunity to attend a public meeting to hear or provide oral comments on March 24, 2015. Registration is expected to open on or about March 9, 2015.

Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee

Each section of the Advisory Report below links to text for that section. A printable PDF is also provided. The PDF provides page and line numbers that the public can use when submitting written comments.

The 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (Committee) submitted the Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (Advisory Report) to the Secretaries of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in February 2015. The purpose of the Advisory Report is to inform the Federal government of current scientific evidence on topics related to diet, nutrition, and health. It provides the Federal government with a foundation for developing national nutrition policy. However, the Advisory Report is not the Dietary Guidelines for Americans policy or a draft of the policy. The Federal government will determine how it will use the information in the Advisory Report as the government develops the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. HHS and USDA will jointly release the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015 later this year."
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not giving up my Greek yogurt. But I have cut out all processed food and eat as clean as possible. Lot's of Vegetables, fruit, fish, meats (mostly turkey, and chicken). I still go over the recommended allowance for sugar, cause of the natural sugars in fruit. I don't worry so much about that though. Don't go crazy over though. Surprisingly my sweet tooth is gone and so are my headaches that I used to get, so I'm sticking with this as it seems to be working for me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Sugar alcohol is emphatically not sugar. Erythritol for example is not absorbed at all. It doesn't have the 6 carbon ring of glucose or other molecular features of a sugar.

"A sugar alcohol is a kind of alcohol prepared from sugar. These organic compounds are a class of polyols, also called polyhydric alcohol, polyalcohol, or glycitol. They are white, water-soluble solids that occur naturally and are used widely in the food industry as thickeners and sweeteners."

• jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether your weight-loss goals also include eating a healthier diet. Also, there is a difference between natural sugars, found in fruit, milk, maple syrup, etc., and added sugars, which are found in most processed foods. If your only goal is weight loss, caloric restriction, regardless of sugar intake, will work. If you're into eating nutritiously, limiting foods with added sugar is a wise move. You don't have to never eat them again; just limit them to a small portion, once a week, or once a day. Having a "treat" once a day works, especially if you love sweets. And watching portion sizes of those treats.
  • megslegs1928
    megslegs1928 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering how everyone was staying within their sugar goal for the day. The recommendation staying at 68g of sugar or less is very difficult for me to meet. I used to blow by it the end of breakfast but after cutting soda and other sugary drinks i still normally go over the limit.

BF
    Pinto beans
    Apple
    Water

Lunch
    Chicken sandwich
    Water

Snack
    Low-fat yogurt
    Granola
    Chia seeds
    Banana
    Water

I think for the most part, that is a solid diet and right now i'm on target to be right at my goals for calories, fiber, vitamins (right now i'm over on vitamin A), cholesterol and everything else but i am already at 87 grams of sugar. The two things that have the most sugar according to MFP is banana at 28g, followed by the apple at 16g. I'm not sure if these are very accurate or if i should weigh the fruit and only eat what matches exactly the portions MFP is going by. Just curious on what everyone else has been doing or is having this problem.

Alex

I would have thought the yogurt and granola would have the most sugar
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The granola probably has a fair bit of sugar. Also, if the yogurt is flavored (not sure if yours is) that adds a lot of sugar as well.

I think about it in slightly different terms....you need to figure out what works for you based on your personal goals. If it is just weight loss, it doesn't matter. But if you are looking at overall health, it might.

I pay a lot of attention to total carbs and net carbs (subtracting fiber). As long as that is not over my limit, I don't worry as much about the sugar number. The reason is that the number mfp is calling sugar is not added sugar...it is added sugar PLUS it also includes naturally occurring sugar in things like broccoli, fruit, milk, etc. Most medical guidelines for sugar are really focused on the added sugar...not sugar in fruits and vegetables. I eat very little or no added sugar most days. Mfp does not even break it down, so if you care about that for health reasons you need to pay close attention to ingredient lists and nutrition labels on your own.

Granted, too much sugar in any form can have an impact on blood sugar...but that information is already captured in the net carb number. So what mfp calls "sugar" doesn't really add any useful information for me.

But again, all of the above is just what works for my particular goals. You have to decide what is relevant based on what you are trying to do.
  • nicolettehart
    nicolettehart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Flour turns into sugar in the body .. avoid flour- pasta, rice , bread . big no no .. Ketosis if you want your body to burn it's own fat! You need fat in your diet it staves off hunger and keeps you full.. add a tsp of butter or coconut oil to your coffee- watch those drinks no soda or juice.. I have lost 14 lbs already .. quit my Pepsi cold turkey .. no yogurt .. good luck!!!
  • nicolettehart
    nicolettehart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it takes you longer to read what's in it don't buy it.. buy things with one word.. eat clean and healthy .. you can do this.. :)>:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Flour turns into sugar in the body .. avoid flour- pasta, rice , bread . big no no .. Ketosis if you want your body to burn it's own fat! You need fat in your diet it staves off hunger and keeps you full.. add a tsp of butter or coconut oil to your coffee- watch those drinks no soda or juice.. I have lost 14 lbs already .. quit my Pepsi cold turkey .. no yogurt .. good luck!!!

Or you could just eat at a calorie deficit.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering how everyone was staying within their sugar goal for the day. The recommendation staying at 68g of sugar or less is very difficult for me to meet. I used to blow by it the end of breakfast but after cutting soda and other sugary drinks i still normally go over the limit.

BF
    Pinto beans
    Apple
    Water

Lunch
    Chicken sandwich
    Water

Snack
    Low-fat yogurt
    Granola
    Chia seeds
    Banana
    Water

I think for the most part, that is a solid diet and right now i'm on target to be right at my goals for calories, fiber, vitamins (right now i'm over on vitamin A), cholesterol and everything else but i am already at 87 grams of sugar. The two things that have the most sugar according to MFP is banana at 28g, followed by the apple at 16g. I'm not sure if these are very accurate or if i should weigh the fruit and only eat what matches exactly the portions MFP is going by. Just curious on what everyone else has been doing or is having this problem.

Alex

I would have thought the yogurt and granola would have the most sugar

I weigh it up in terms of adherence. Will I be happy eating this food for the duration and beyond? It may not be the absolute best choice in nutrition (yet good enough and overall day is pretty good) but it's the best personal choice for practicality, happiness and satiety. It may also fit the family budget and family palate because I don't like having "special" diet food for me.

As Moi said it depends on your goals.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    jahmanrv wrote: »
    Not giving up my Greek yogurt. But I have cut out all processed food and eat as clean as possible. Lot's of Vegetables, fruit, fish, meats (mostly turkey, and chicken). I still go over the recommended allowance for sugar, cause of the natural sugars in fruit. I don't worry so much about that though. Don't go crazy over though. Surprisingly my sweet tooth is gone and so are my headaches that I used to get, so I'm sticking with this as it seems to be working for me.

Sounds like what I do as well. Love my Greek yoghurt but always watch out for "added sugars" in any I buy. I am not over concerned about sugar from fruit but also keep an eye on my natural sugar intake.

These days if I eat too much "added sugar" I get an almost immediate headache, whereas I never get a headache from eating fruit.