Cutting sugar in diet

Options

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    It doesn't say exclude meat though. It just says eat more plant, "less" red and processed meat.

I eat lots of plants. This has no impact on the meat or sugar I eat.

Can you clarify why you said that Lemur? I'm missing your point.

My original comment was to MrM because I read his comment as saying the meats he (and I) enjoyed were under threat lol.

I'd have to say that the majority of my day is plant based too and it has no impact on my protein which is varied. I don't eat red meat everyday anyway, mostly due to budget. At one time, you would have thought by my diet (meaning general use of the word) that I was on the Mediterranean diet but they were simply taste preferences for satiety and adherence....and nutrients. Sugar is not an issue because of this (anymore).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I think everyone should limit added sugars. Limiting is, after all, the very essence of moderation.

Not sure why people find that one tricky.
    Yep. EVERYONE should limit added sugars.

But if you already limit added sugars it's silly to make that the main definition as to whether you are healthy.
    I think get it. Just because someone limits sugars does not mean they are necessarily healthy.

i agree that limiting added sugars is a way to moderate, but so is limiting any food. For example, I don't need two servings of meat anymore than I need six teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, because I want overall balance. This has nothing to do with any foods being good or bad, it's just a method of trying to keep a calorie deficit if losing, or not going over TDEE when maintaining.
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Avoid granola and low-fat yogurt. These products usually have heaps of added sugar. Natural sugar and refined added sugar are two completely different things. I don't worry about natural sugar in fruit.
    You need to cut out products with added sugar - which encompasses most processed foods. Stick to natural, raw, unprocessed foods - like fruit, vegetables, eggs, nuts, lean meats etc.

LOL no …

yogurt is bad now, really???

an apple has as much sugar as a serving of yogurt….oh wait the apple sugar is better, because natural, right?

Natural sugars from fruit etc are actually better due to the fibre in the fruit. There have been soooo many studies on this. No one is saying that you wont lose weight if you eat added and processed "bad" sugars, of course you will if youre still in a caloric deficit. However, added sugars have been shown to be bad for your health if eaten in excess. All of us here probably arent guilty of such excesses on a daily basis, but obese people need to be educated on this. Two SUPER interesting videos on this topic below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-16uW7dd8
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Foods should not be demonised. Sugar is just sugar. In moderation it's fine.

What does moderation look like ? 15% of calorie intake, or 20%, or 50 grams or ......
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should limit added sugars. Limiting is, after all, the very essence of moderation.

But if you already limit added sugars it's silly to make that the main definition as to whether you are healthy.

Sorry? I'm not making the connection. Can you say more?

If you already eat a limited amount of added sugars (as I do) it's silly to claim that you would have a healthier diet by limiting added sugars more or by reducing the amount of added sugars you eat. That suggests that for everyone less is always better and none is the ideal, and I don't think that's true. There are better things to focus on depending on one's diet, like eating more veggies.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It doesn't say exclude meat though. It just says eat more plant, "less" red and processed meat.

Not sure how I should read "plant based diet" then.

I reread it. Then I looked at the report and searched it for plant based diet which came up with the (traditional) Mediterranean diet. Interesting.

That's interesting. I've always understood "plant based" as a trendy (and annoying) way of saying vegan, not Med diet.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options

I eat lots of plants. This has no impact on the meat or sugar I eat.

Can you clarify why you said that Lemur? I'm missing your point.

My original comment was to MrM because I read his comment as saying the meats he (and I) enjoyed were under threat lol.

I'd have to say that the majority of my day is plant based too and it has no impact on my protein which is varied. I don't eat red meat everyday anyway, mostly due to budget. At one time, you would have thought by my diet (meaning general use of the word) that I was on the Mediterranean diet but they were simply taste preferences for satiety and adherence....and nutrients. Sugar is not an issue because of this (anymore).

I'm honestly not sure what I was thinking when I posted that--maybe I shouldn't post while vacationing! I think my thoughts were that "plant based" is an annoying and trendy way of saying vegan, as noted above, and that why I dislike the term is related to the fact that I can eat just as many plants as the average vegan or vegetarian without also cutting out "bad" foods like meat or sugar (which of course is plant-based itself, but why be nit-picky).
  • Qskim
    edited March 2015
    Options

I reread it. Then I looked at the report and searched it for plant based diet which came up with the (traditional) Mediterranean diet. Interesting.

That's interesting. I've always understood "plant based" as a trendy (and annoying) way of saying vegan, not Med diet.

I think DASH is in there and a third I cant remember but I read about those in a dietitician's (not MFP) overview of the report. Haven't read the whole report to see the other two mentioned there myself. The Mediterranean is not a bad place to start if you wanted direction to improve your diet (not you directly - general population "you").

Maybe the third was a vegan one.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with that. I usually prefer to eat more red meat and less grains than the Med diet (experimenting with pescaterian thing at the moment plus more carbs than normal, so probably am doing a diet that could reasonably be considered kind of Mediterranean), but I certainly think the Med diet is healthy.
  • Qskim
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Me too. That Med diet thing was a bit of a curve ball.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I think get it. Just because someone limits sugars does not mean they are necessarily healthy.

i agree that limiting added sugars is a way to moderate, but so is limiting any food. For example, I don't need two servings of meat anymore than I need six teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, because I want overall balance. This has nothing to do with any foods being good or bad, it's just a method of trying to keep a calorie deficit if losing, or not going over TDEE when maintaining.

oh. Did someone say cutting sugar was the essence of being healthy? I must have missed that.
    The government has now explicitly said to limit added sugar, for weight and for health. The WHO has said to limit added sugars for health. I can see why there are even more sugar threads than usual.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Sorry? I'm not making the connection. Can you say more?

If you already eat a limited amount of added sugars (as I do) it's silly to claim that you would have a healthier diet by limiting added sugars more or by reducing the amount of added sugars you eat. That suggests that for everyone less is always better and none is the ideal, and I don't think that's true. There are better things to focus on depending on one's diet, like eating more veggies.

Did I say that you should limit them more to be healthy?

The typical American sure needs to. You probably don't need to. I don't need to.
    Should we aim for "no added sugars?" Possibly, but probably not. Granted, I'd say we should aim for more honey and juice as our sweeteners, less HFCS. But as we know, I have a bias there: I think HFCS bad for us.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    amoynoodle wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Avoid granola and low-fat yogurt. These products usually have heaps of added sugar. Natural sugar and refined added sugar are two completely different things. I don't worry about natural sugar in fruit.
    You need to cut out products with added sugar - which encompasses most processed foods. Stick to natural, raw, unprocessed foods - like fruit, vegetables, eggs, nuts, lean meats etc.

LOL no …

yogurt is bad now, really???

an apple has as much sugar as a serving of yogurt….oh wait the apple sugar is better, because natural, right?

Natural sugars from fruit etc are actually better due to the fibre in the fruit. There have been soooo many studies on this. No one is saying that you wont lose weight if you eat added and processed "bad" sugars, of course you will if youre still in a caloric deficit. However, added sugars have been shown to be bad for your health if eaten in excess. All of us here probably arent guilty of such excesses on a daily basis, but obese people need to be educated on this. Two SUPER interesting videos on this topic below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-16uW7dd8

yea I am going with a no on that…

I love you add the caveat of fruit sugar is better because fiber..

Ok, if i take added sugar and add it to metamucil and drink it is that now bad because added sugar or good because fiber???

the whole argument about good and bad sugar is ridiculous…

sugar = sugar….

hit your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day and everything else will fall in line….
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

There are two primary ways to understand "plant based". One is vegan (with an emphasis on plants rather than heavily processed non animal foods). I actually like that, because I know many ethical vegans who eat for sh1te.

The other is making plants the main course and bulk of you foods. Making animal protein a side dish.

Michael Pollan's "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" is how many (including myself) describe their plant based diet.
    The new guidelines basically just go for mediterranean style (more fish than red meat) with a hint of South Beach (actively limiting added sugars).
    Basically this:
    vzhbzyh9d4ip.gif
  • meljimenez777
    Options
    My fitness expert Doctor told me to cut down on sugar for my health and help me lose weight. 50 grams a day. I'm starting today
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

oh. Did someone say cutting sugar was the essence of being healthy? I must have missed that.
    The government has now explicitly said to limit added sugar, for weight and for health. The WHO has said to limit added sugars for health. I can see why there are even more sugar threads than usual.

I think I went out on a limb. :)

The "government" is talking about moderation, which is in the eye of the beholder. We all make the choice what to moderate, as well as how to moderate.

I love my sugary stuff, have lost plenty of weight eating the sweet stuff, and have been maintaining for well over a year. The thing is I don't go hog wild every day like I used to, I just hog wild sometimes, but work hard to make sure my end week calories are reasonably close to what I need. It's not perfect, but it's doable.
  • Azmtbr1
    Azmtbr1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Anyone know what glycogen is?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The "government" is talking about moderation, which is in the eye of the beholder. We all make the choice what to moderate, as well as how to moderate.

I love my sugary stuff, have lost plenty of weight eating the sweet stuff, and have been maintaining for well over a year. The thing is I don't go hog wild every day like I used to, I just hog wild sometimes, but work hard to make sure my end week calories are reasonably close to what I need. It's not perfect, but it's doable.

Except the government is giving specific numbers on added sugar. Those numbers are much lower than the average american, and not in the eye of the beholder, actually. They are set recommendations.
    I think it's also important to remember that this report isn't a weight loss report, per se, it's attempting to improve our health (while much of our health related concerns as a nation are weight related).
  • Azmtbr1
    Azmtbr1 Posts: 5
    Options

I would wager that 99% of the government is overweight...

Don't let them guide you