Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh yeah!!! naked is the BEST!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I went through a period of wearing no shoes during workouts at home but ended up with plantar fascitis. My arches had problems from all the pounding. With PF, in order to heal, you have to wear shoes from the time you get out of bed until the time you get in bed. It was VERY painful! Needless to say, I have healed but I will no longer exercise without shoes...

this isn't because you wore no shoes. it's because you didn't get used to not wearing shoes properly. it takes time.

for years and years your foot has gone into atrophy because it was surrounded by a shell, and all of a sudden you think it'll be able to run and work perfectly without any thing surrounding it?

i also developed plantar fascitis, and was told to wear shoes with tons of support, and i got custom orthodics for my work boots, but it never really healed. until i started wearing more and more minimus shoes, and stretching, and walking barefoot, and working through the pain and developing foot strength.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes working out - always barefoot. Couple of years ago I found Vibram Five Fingers and I'm in love - so comfortable, now I'm barefoot all the time
  • mistyblu13
    mistyblu13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found reading all the replies to this very interesting- I have almost always had shoes on to workout (my feet are almost always cold) but our bodies were made to walk around without shoes.... I have tried just walking the treadmill without shoes but the bottoms of my feet are tenderfoot land that hurt but I would imagine given time and some callouses it would work just fine :) but I have to ask do any of you have high arches that workout without shoes??

I looked and actually found a few stores in northern mn that sell the Vibram five finger shoes :) wow blow me away lol I am going to stop friday on my way through town to see what they are all about! :) thanks you all for telling us about them!!
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do dance exercise like Zumba without shoes, use to do martial arts which was required not to wear shoes. But I don't recommend it for a hard treadmill, did it once and it cut my feet up, very painful.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Reasons to wear shoes:
    - Protection from sharp objects such as glass, thorns etc
    - Better grip on slippery surfaces
    - Hygine

Reason not to wear shoes:
    - Better balance and posture
    - Builds strength in your ankles
    - There is research that says that cushioning in shoes actually means that you are more likely to get injuries in the long term - however be very careful if moving to barefoot running or minimalist shoes as it will take time to build strength and technique and in the short term you are susceptable to injury.
    - FREE

Conclusion:
    Own shoes, use them only when necessary. If you have teh cash, have a pair of minimalist as well as cushioned shoes.

Note: I have 5 pairs of sports shoes:

- Minimalist for gym work and short runs
    - 2 x Running shoes with some cushioning and support for long runs (I phase in new shoes as it takes a bit of time to break them in)
    - Off road shoes for cross country running - note these have minimal padding but are more rigid than minimalist shoes
    - Cycling shoes for use with cleats

• alwayskungfu
    Options
    I wear 'barefoot' shoes in the gym, because you have to wear something, and to run, and the rest of the time, working out in the house or the garden, i'm totally barefoot.

My feet, ankles and calves are much, MUCH stronger because of it. I have lots of flexibility in my toes, soles of my feet and ankles now which I never used to have. I also rarely twist my ankle these days when moving over uneven surfaces because my feet are more used to adjusting.

I also have better posture and better balance.

Go naked!!

PrimalGirl

^^^ yes thats what I do and have found, I wholeheartedly advocate that.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I only do insanity barefoot. Actually....I pretty much do everything barefoot now that I think about it - except at work....only because it's frowned upon for some reason.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If I'm at home, I generally wear at least socks, or even just barefooted. But not at classes... I've had someone at a class I go to do that, and her feet stank! And they generally just got trampled on.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I love lifting barefoot
    c18fc31a46d08013710892ee5fe314de_zpsceee16c7.jpg
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I never use shoes in my house. Shoes grip my carpet and its hard to "pivot". I usually do wear socks though.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Shoes should be illegal , im sure many foot fetishisists agree :wink: :laugh:
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I never exercise with shoes at home and I wouldn't outside if it wasn't for glass and rocks. I do p90x and insanity (3rd round of p90x and 2nd of insanity) with no problems. It's cumbersome with shoes not to mention we were made to be barefoot anyway :)
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I always exercise indoors barefoot. I would outdoors too if I wasn't going to get weird looks! I used to do climbing in my early 20s, and I found it much easier barefoot. I completely hate athletic shoes- they feel so restrictive, so even on a long walk I wear flip flops that curve to the shape of my foot. I hate winter for the fact I HAVE to wear shoes/boots outdoors.
    When I was a kid my mum used to encourage us to go barefoot whenever possible- its how she grew up too.
  • kklotay
    kklotay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same here. I started Turbo Fire with cross trainers. Ended up with sore knees and feet after first two weeks. I went and bought shoes with flexible soles. That did not help either. Finally, put some rubber tiles under the rug and started doing it barefoot. All the soreness disappeared. After finishing Turbo Fire, did Insanity barefoot as well. No shoes at home anymore.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I can't even walk around the house barefoot. I have to wear my special insoles every minute I am on my feet or it becomes so painful for me.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I NEVER wear shoes. Weight training without shoe is actually more beneficial than weight training with shoes :)
    Do it, you'll be fine
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes to weight lift but wear them on my treadmill. I trie the treadmill without shoes and the runner on the treadmill was hard on me feet. Otherwise...I prefer no shoes.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes working out at home.
  • YuvastyleFashion
    Options
    Actually I have only one pair of shoes and I have just purchased Advent white sneakers online. But I never wear it when I am doing exercise.