Hit plateau, thinking of increasing calories?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    One thing people constantly forget is: to adjust your TDEE lower as you lose. The general recommendation is adjust it down about every 10 lbs.

Logically I know this is an issue as you lose weight, but I never knew what amount of loss (or gain), was significant enough to warrant a recalculation. 10lbs, huh? Thanks.
  • KJensen34
    KJensen34 Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One thing people constantly forget is: to adjust your TDEE lower as you lose. The general recommendation is adjust it down about every 10 lbs.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am currently at roughly 50% of my TDEE@240 so don't know if I want to adjust down even further.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Logically I know this is an issue as you lose weight, but I never knew what amount of loss (or gain), was significant enough to warrant a recalculation. 10lbs, huh? Thanks.

MFP said to recalculate after 10 pound loss. I guess the same for increase too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

10 is a general recommendation. I've seen 5 lbs as well. What I do, is if my goal is to lose 1lb per week, and week over week, I see it shrinking, .8 then .5 etc, I'll just drop 100 cals, and that usually will get it going again. I'm not very scientific. I just look at results, and that tells me everything I need to know. All the analysis people go through freaks me out. Who has time for that. If I'm not losing, I drop cals. It's kind of simple, barring any medical conditions.

mhmm. I keep gaining and losing the same 20ish lbs (usually intentionally), so my numbers are always pretty consistent.
  • KJensen34
    Options
    I didn't know that this post/topic would go this far. Thank you for all of the input everyone, but I realize that I was too quick to say "plateau" and am just being impatient with my weight loss. I know it took several years to put on the weight so it's going to take more than a few months to take it back off. I was just frustrated this past week after having such good results the first few weeks so thought I'd be proactive and ask MFP. I guess I was just hoping for a 'secret' I didn't know existed, but you've all just confirmed it's accuracy, consistency, and patience like I already knew. I'll go back to being a non-talking wall now, haha.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Did you even read the thread or did you just decide to spout of stuff? I love how every few months you reappear in the same position with the same type of advice.

Yes, I did read the thread, and the "stuff" I "spouted" is directly relevant to his "problem".

His weight loss has probably triggered a metabolic slow down which requires a further decrease in caloric intake to overcome.

I don't know what is so difficult to understand about that. I provided citations from actual scientists and medical doctors from an actual medical journal (The Lancet) and the National Institute of Health.

Any time you hit a plateau during weight loss the answer is always the same - less calories.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Did you even read the thread or did you just decide to spout of stuff? I love how every few months you reappear in the same position with the same type of advice.

Yes, I did read the thread, and the "stuff" I "spouted" is directly relevant to his "problem".

His weight loss has probably triggered a metabolic slow down which requires a further decrease in caloric intake to overcome.

I don't know what is so difficult to understand about that. I provided citations from actual scientists and medical doctors from an actual medical journal (The Lancet) and the National Institute of Health.

Any time you hit a plateau during weight loss the answer is always the same - less calories.

OP did not hit a plateau which he also said.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    KJensen34 wrote: »
    I didn't know that this post/topic would go this far. Thank you for all of the input everyone, but I realize that I was too quick to say "plateau" and am just being impatient with my weight loss. I know it took several years to put on the weight so it's going to take more than a few months to take it back off. I was just frustrated this past week after having such good results the first few weeks so thought I'd be proactive and ask MFP. I guess I was just hoping for a 'secret' I didn't know existed, but you've all just confirmed it's accuracy, consistency, and patience like I already knew. I'll go back to being a non-talking wall now, haha.

I know that impatient feeling. I am the same way

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    To the "non talking wall" :smiley:
    Feel free to impatient away in my book. A 2 week stall is FRUSTRATING!

I think you should give it a go with increasing the calories a bit. My loss didn't slow one bit from increasing from 1200 (BAD idea) to 1370. If anything, the 2 weeks where I stayed at 178 are gone and I am back to losing. It worked for me and I am a happy camper again. I MIGHT even increase to 1500 calories in a few weeks if it happens again. It is still a deficit :smile:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    Just stick to it. I recently didn't lose anything, not a single bit, for 3.5 weeks. Instead of panicking and starting to tinker with everything, I stuck with my plan and trusted the process and just last week went through a stretch where I showed a loss everyday for 5 days straight.

42829955.png
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Lol I wasnt calling the OP that, I was talking about actual wall since he said that is what it feels like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

7 weeks = metabolic slowdown? I don't think so. Metabolic slow down is something that takes longer than that...

OP is still losing, just at a slower rate...

or did you miss that part?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am currently at roughly 50% of my TDEE@240 so don't know if I want to adjust down even further.

Your TDEE will lower as you lose weight...not the % you are using.

For example as you lose you should change your percentage to 15% then 10% of TDEE so as not to lose too much muscle mass as you lose the fat/weight.

• KJensen34
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

For example as you lose you should change your percentage to 15% then 10% of TDEE so as not to lose too much muscle mass as you lose the fat/weight.
    Yep, I understand that my TDEE/BMR is based on my body weight. Currently the health-calc calculator has me at 3700kcal TDEE for 240lbs, so I'd be at 52% deficit with 1800 calories. If I bump the weight down to 200lbs the TDEE goes to 3200kcals, so a 44% deficit with 1800 calories.

I am unsure how I am going to adjust my calories/macros as I near my goal of 200lbs, but it will most likely be based on the rate of fat loss I am seeing when it gets closer. I definitely am going to try and calculate my personal TDEE using the formula you provided to see how close it matches with the calculator. If it is way off or I start to see drastic muscle loss, I may try to adjust sooner than that too.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yep, I understand that my TDEE/BMR is based on my body weight. Currently the health-calc calculator has me at 3700kcal TDEE for 240lbs, so I'd be at 52% deficit with 1800 calories. If I bump the weight down to 200lbs the TDEE goes to 3200kcals, so a 44% deficit with 1800 calories.

I am unsure how I am going to adjust my calories/macros as I near my goal of 200lbs, but it will most likely be based on the rate of fat loss I am seeing when it gets closer. I definitely am going to try and calculate my personal TDEE using the formula you provided to see how close it matches with the calculator. If it is way off or I start to see drastic muscle loss, I may try to adjust sooner than that too.

Others have said it in not so many words, but remember that those calculators only give you ESTIMATES of your TDEE/BMR based upon population averages.

The thing about averages is, roughly 50% of people are above average, and roughly 50% are below average. You may be in the 'above' average group - you may be in the 'below' average group.

So use the calculator to get a starting point. Like others have said, try it for 4-6 weeks and evaluate.

1800 calories seems to be working just fine for you, and assuming you're not seeing any sort of lack of performance with your workouts, or you're not otherwise suffering from a lack of energy, just keep on keeping on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why do people always think that eating more is going to help them lose weight? Heck I'm going to order a pizza with some molten lava cake them.
    OP, I don't understand, you've not stopped losing weight. Is the point of the post to ask if its okay if you eat more for a couple of days?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm in a bit of a stall myself right now, and I've realized something after reading several threads like this: the advice from people who have lost substantial amounts of weight is always just to keep on keeping on.

I think I'll do that.

I think the OP should do that.