I need healthy pizza option

Options
gilramirez14
gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
Anyone know a recipe for lower calorie pizza having a girls night this weekend and friends want pizza . worst food to eat . thanks

Replies

• ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make a sort of pizza, with the bottom being a tortilla and a 'healthy' marinara sauce to top it. then i only use vegetables and a just a bit of cheese. Look at the yummly website, there are plenth of examples there.
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thin crust is better. My dietitian begged me to order a cheese pizza, not a fully loaded one. I take two slices, which fits in to my meal plan just fine. I like the Dr. Oetker thin crust pizzas.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I make a higher calorie but virtually no-carb pizza. 6 eggs and 6 cups of shredded mozz, with some basil and oregano. mix it all up and spread it on a greased cookie sheet (I press mine as flat as I can) and bake for 15 minutes at 450. You end up with a "dense quiche" textured pizza dough. A little sauce, mozz, and whatever toppings you want. 10 more minutes at 450 and done! My entire cookie sheet pizza had 24 carbs.
  • merariguerrero
    merariguerrero Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make a pizza with no crust - it's a Skillet Pizza. Here is the link - http://healthylowcarbliving.com/weight-loss/my-dinner-tonight-skillet-pizza/
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I try and not eat pizza...the quantity you get for the calories is usually not worth it. But if I do have it, I go for thin crust veggie pizza's. It's a great treat occasionally! Enjoy it, Log it and move on! You also could bring some veggies and dip or a fruit plate so you have other low calorie options to munch on so it will be easier to have less pizza.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My dietitian begged me to order a cheese pizza, not a fully loaded one.

One note from a guy who used to work in a pizza place: When you order a plain cheese pizza with no toppings, most places use 1.5- or 2-times the cheese. If you're limiting calories, you're better off either asking for light cheese, or 1 topping like onions or peppers that won't add many calories.

Also, I do the tortilla thing. It's fast and easy.

• katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    px9jvt1ri5fn.jpg
    3q4pdtehy0ef.jpg

I use this dough to make thin crust pizzas and I add different toppings. Sometimes it's spinach and reduced fat cheese or turkey pepperoni
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think pizza is so bad. It has EVERYTHING you need.

If you want it lower in calories, I would get a thin crust and then just try to go light on the cheese and pick a lighter style meat if you must. I think the cheese is what really amps up the calories, but pizza really isn't bad without it, if you have a really good sauce.
  • kishagenter
    Options
    I use a whole wheat or grain 80 cal English muffins, a little spoonful of sauce, fat free cheese, and add veggies or a thin slice of ham! The whole thing equals about 150 calories and I have a salad with it!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Veggie pizza! Yummmmm!!!! Veggies and garlic. Maybe just ease up a little on the cheese, and do a thin crust. Pizza sure has a bad rap - I don't know why. I can get fiber, protein, calcium, and iron, depending on the veggies I put on top.

Pair a delicious pizza with a huge satisfying salad and you have an awesome meal.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Making homemade pizza is great for the gifted.

I like Kashi Mediterranean pizza--and all you do is bake it ;)
    Serving Size 1/3 Pizza
    Calories 290
    Total Fat 9 g
    Sodium 640 mg
    Fiber 5 g
    Sugar 3 g
    Protein 15 g
    Whole Grains 13 g
  • amyrichard34
    amyrichard34 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use either a pita for a base or make a cauliflower based crust. It's a bit labour intensive but it actually tastes pretty good. There are recipes for it all over Pinterest.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Pizza is great, no need to be awful with it.
    You can do that whole cauliflower dough...
    Or, get whole wheat with light cheese and veggies on it.
  • jessdunn40
    Options
    cauliflower crust
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I make my pizza on a flour tortilla Burrito size, I make a kale and walnut pesto sauce, dairy free cheese, black olives, green olives, mushroom, and beyond meat beefy crumbles. You can also make the crust from polenta, and you can buy the polenta already made.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Anyone know a recipe for lower calorie pizza having a girls night this weekend and friends want pizza . worst food to eat . thanks

Not the worst food to eat...it's just like anything else...eat it in appropriate portions...have a slice or two, not the whole pie.

Personally I like picking up a small dough ball from one of my favorite local pizza joints. Then I concoct a killer sauce and top with some mozarella, hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, black olives, green bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms, and NM green chiles. (I weigh everything out)

1 slice clocks in at around 300 calories...I usually have two slices for a dinner and I don't find a 600 calorie dinner to be anything crazy. For less calories, just watch the cheese and do veg toppings.
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Most of my dinners are about 700-1000 calories, and pizza is no exception. I might be a few grams lower on protein on a pizza day, but it's not a diet-buster.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with pizza?

I make my own dough. A personal pizza (6 ounces of dough) is around 550 calories with toppings and all. It's very filling, and quite a large pizza, depending on how you roll it out.

It's in my diary from last night if you wanted to look. If you want the recipe, I'll post it.