Doing the laundry

Options
let's say – you don't have a washer that works the dryer yes. so you have to load the basket put it in the car wash the laundry taking 30 minutes by machine come home with fresh washed clothes 10 times heavier in the basket. then dry these clothes with your dryer taking an hour or two plus folding putting them away . How many calories would you say this would be?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that really isn't exercise to be logging. Do some squats and lunges while you are waiting for them to wash and dry....then you can count it as exercise!
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not enough to matter. The washer and dryer are doing the majority of the work.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's not something I'd log, personally.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    oh no
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    mommyofjan wrote: »
    Not enough to matter. The washer and dryer are doing the majority of the work.

^That.

And personally I'd be saving up to buy a new washer (or fix the old one). Just think of the money you're throwing away on gas (not to mention the money to use the laundromat).
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Don't log it. If your weight loss goal is so tight that you are starving (i.e. 2 lbs per week) then set it for less and learn to eat in a sustainable way. If your calorie allowance is reasonable (1500 / day or more) and you are struggling to meet that goal, make better food choices. A pound of strawberries instead of 10 peanut m&m's for example.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say it would fall within your "normal daily activity cals" if set up as light active, otherwise, 30-100 calories more than you would have burned sitting on the couch for the same period of time.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'd either replace my washer or just use the dryer at the laundromat plus not log the calories.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Household chores should generally fall under your daily activity level.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This falls under activity level. Even if you put sedentary as your activity level you got credit for some things already. BMR is less than sedentary...that's like staying in bed all day.

As an example, sedentary is less than 5,000 steps.
    <5000 steps/day may be used as a sedentary lifestyle
    5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity might be considered low active
    7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities considered somewhat active
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it at all.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That is normal everyday activity. Do not log it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    let's say – you don't have a washer that works the dryer yes. so you have to load the basket put it in the car wash the laundry taking 30 minutes by machine come home with fresh washed clothes 10 times heavier in the basket. then dry these clothes with your dryer taking an hour or two plus folding putting them away . How many calories would you say this would be?

The real question is, why are your clean clothes heavier than your dirty clothes?

They're wet ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The real question is, why are your clean clothes heavier than your dirty clothes?

They're wet ;)

Darn, you are quick :) I figured it out after I posted that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ... you're really asking that?

Zero. That's part of your activity level. >_<

You know what, no. 1500, and you should eat them back.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ugh. watching your clothes go through the spin cycle does not burn calories worth logging.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

They're wet ;)

Darn, you are quick :) I figured it out after I posted that.

Haha, sorry! I'm always afraid someone will do that to me!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Perhaps, if you were down by the river working the washboard, but no.

You get nothing.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    1500, and you should eat them back.

Is that only laundry done at a laundromat or can I burn that much at home, too?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    1500, and you should eat them back.

Is that only laundry done at a laundromat or can I burn that much at home, too?
    home too.

It really works out to about 500 calories per basket.