Doing the laundry

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    Threads like these remind me why I hate activity trackers so much for giving the wearer the false belief that everything they do is exercise thus dissuading the user from actually exercising.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons, I'm wondering if I should buy a Fitbit at all. I'm not sure I want to see myself "burning" more calories than my allowance and end up not exercising. It's taking a lot of willpower to actually tell myself that I should diet for weight loss and exercise for good health.

I do over 10,000 steps every day, I did 18,000 the other day. I've still worked out (PT sessions, kettlebells, spinning, aerobics, HIIT class, circuits...) an average of 6 times a week since I got my Fitbit at Xmas. I ignore the extra calories it says I've burned.
  • smythepatricia90
    smythepatricia90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I see.…… I remember going to the doctors a few years back ----I'll stage the scene for you.…

Dr is. female close to 300 pounds sits down on a stool ----you know the little round one that rolls all over the floor.
    Looks at my chart and tells me that I have to lose weight.
    I definitely way a lot less than her…
    And at that time I was a housekeeper in a hotel.
    and if any of you have done this work you damn well know as soon as we clock in at 7 AM we are walking lifting pulling shoving stripping cleaning cleaning cleaning up until 4:30 PM.
    When we clock out.
    That is A pretty good nine hours solid of on the go exercise.
    That's a lot of work that's a lot of physical exercise.
    And yet the doctor sits there on her little round stool with her fat bellowing over its edges and says I must get exercise.
    Like a hamster in a wheel that spins.

Have You ever really look at that hamster it's still a round fluffy little creature yet it runs it's little *kitten* off go figure.!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I see.…… I remember going to the doctors a few years back ----I'll stage the scene for you.…

Dr is. female close to 300 pounds sits down on a stool ----you know the little round one that rolls all over the floor.
    and if any of you have done this work you damn well know as soon as we clock in at 7 AM we are walking lifting pulling shoving stripping cleaning cleaning cleaning up until 4:30 PM.
    When we clock out.
    And yet the doctor sits there on her little round stool with her fat bellowing over its edges and says I must get exercise.

Have You ever really look at that hamster it's still a round fluffy little creature yet it runs it's little *kitten* off go figure.!
    Its activity sure, but also part of your TDEE, and not exercise.

And why fat shame your doctor?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Threads like these remind me why I hate activity trackers so much for giving the wearer the false belief that everything they do is exercise thus dissuading the user from actually exercising.
    that is called "information overload"
    And not much of that information is that terribly interesting either. Yay. I walked 10,001 steps. Joy.

However, what I did find interesting, were the device's extrapolations regarding sleep. Before returning to the gym, I had a few years of really bad insomnia so upon learning that for the 5/6 hours for which I am in bed, that half the time was REM, the other half light, sleep -- with very few punctuation of wakefulness -- I found immensely comforting. There was a point in my life that I had anxiety about just trying to fall asleep and stay asleep.

What is problematic is that it's data for those who are untrained or unused to using anything quantitative, ever. Because scary.

So they latch onto these questionable data points, thinking they're deriving something valuable from it, and they aren't. They don't know that though, and won't listen to reason about it.

There is a learning curve for any type of new technology or system. It is only problematic if the user doesn't listen to reason or educate themselves on how to use the technology.

Trackers are tools. Useful for some, not useful for everyone. I personally find the sleep data to be the least interesting aspect. But then again, I know when I have gotten a good nights sleep and don't find that it is something to fret over.

Based on post count, I'm going out on a limb and saying... well, you're new here, sit back and observe the silliness that happens here day in, day out, and often from the same folks freaking out over the same trash data.

It's like they've never heard of GIGO analysis.

If you're not new here, then you know what I mean. But I guess it begs the question. Could there be benefit to explaining what important metrics are, and how to track them then analyze them?

Or should it be something we can assume that was already taught to them, and they're willfully ignoring said teaching?
  • dbmata
    Options

When we clock out.

Its activity sure, but also part of your TDEE, and not exercise.

And why fat shame your doctor?
    because it's fun to knock down others when you feel that others have knocked you down?
  • smythepatricia90
    Options
    .......TDFF??? GIGO ????
    WT
    Are you talking about?
    I am new here & if u R not support get LOST!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

When we clock out.

It's your doctor's job to tell you to lose weight - it's what we pay them for. It's not a comment on the type of person you are, so it shouldn't be taken personally. My doctor is overweight - it's because he was in a very severe car accident that left him in the ICU and then bed bound for months - he still has very, very limited mobility. I know this, because we're friendly and he shared that with me. You have no idea what put her in the position she's in and it's not an indicator of her ability as a physician.

Your job at the hotel would have been accounted for in your TDEE, so no - it wasn't exercise. Exercise is something deliberate we do, above and beyond our day to day stuff, to improve our health.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    .......TDFF??? GIGO ????
    WT
    Are you talking about?

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure

GIGO (Data science) - garbage in, garbage out.
  • smythepatricia90
    Options
    "Exercise is something deliberate we do, above and beyond our day to day stuff, to improve our health."

Really ! U hv no clue how the human body works!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    "Exercise is something deliberate we do, above and beyond our day to day stuff, to improve our health."

I've lost 70 pounds.

How much have you lost?
  • dbmata
    Options
    .......TDFF??? GIGO ????
    WT
    Are you talking about?

Generally it's frowned upon to troll people, attack people or post amazingly negative posts like yours in most communities. I haven't reported your post, but more posts of this nature will result in reporting.

Cheers.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    .......TDFF??? GIGO ????
    WT
    Are you talking about?

Generally it's frowned upon to troll people, attack people or post amazingly negative posts like yours in most communities. I haven't reported your post, but more posts of this nature will result in reporting.

Cheers.

Maybe I should have responded with "JFGI"
  • smythepatricia90
    Options
    When a human is over a certain age the metabolism slows down.
    ANY physical movement IS exercise.
    However, it may not reduce weight.
    There is another issue that is the problem.
    I've been telling doctors this for a long long time.
    Just wait… That will be revealed in years to come but too late for you and I.
  • dbmata
    Options
    .......TDFF??? GIGO ????
    WT
    Are you talking about?

Cheers.

Maybe I should have responded with "JFGI"
    srs.

heh. or rtfm.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    This stuff makes it hard to be nice and want to continue to help people. It really does.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you really went there didn't you??

I am sorry we did not validate doing the laundry as exercice, but we are not here to validate your postings, we are just here to provide you wit information. And the information here is that doing the laundry is something that is accounted for in your daily activity level or TDEE ...

my credentials are losing 30 pounds, keeping it off, getting to 12% body fat, and then doing a successful bulk ...just do you know...
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When a human is over a certain age the metabolism slows down.
    ANY physical movement IS exercise.
    However, it may not reduce weight.
    There is another issue that is the problem.
    I've been telling doctors this for a long long time.
    Just wait… That will be revealed in years to come but too late for you and I.

So what is the other issue...?

You need to read the boards and learn how to behave when people are trying to help you.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do over 1000 steps on my Fitbit before 9am just running round after my kids, at home! I sure don't log that as it's part of my everyday life.

So, no, don't log it. Carrying some laundry to and from your car doesn't burn enough calories to matter.

25 calories.
  • smythepatricia90
    Options
    FYI...
    I have lost 75 lbs.
    And because I was forced out of 4 JOBS!
    Gone thru a divorce lost my Mother....
    The pounds came back.
    Not that you care. I'm going to do what I can to improve my health reguardless of people like you.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This stuff makes it hard to be nice and want to continue to help people. It really does.

I am with you.