Doing the laundry

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do over 1000 steps on my Fitbit before 9am just running round after my kids, at home! I sure don't log that as it's part of my everyday life.

So, no, don't log it. Carrying some laundry to and from your car doesn't burn enough calories to matter.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Sorry, but that really isn't exercise to be logging. Do some squats and lunges while you are waiting for them to wash and dry....then you can count it as exercise!

This. Sorry.

ETA: I would probably wear my pedometer though. I'd be happy for the extra steps and maybe pace in the laundromat to rack up a few extra.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    let's say – you don't have a washer that works the dryer yes. so you have to load the basket put it in the car wash the laundry taking 30 minutes by machine come home with fresh washed clothes 10 times heavier in the basket. then dry these clothes with your dryer taking an hour or two plus folding putting them away . How many calories would you say this would be?
    1500, and you should eat them back.

Is that only laundry done at a laundromat or can I burn that much at home, too?
    home too.

It really works out to about 500 calories per basket.

Yes!! I'll have to tell my boyfriend to leave all of the laundry to me! No wonder he's so thin.

I wonder what doing the dishes burns? I'll do those and then eat cake..or does baking cake burn enough calories alone to eat the cake?
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    I do over 1000 steps on my Fitbit before 9am just running round after my kids, at home! I sure don't log that as it's part of my everyday life.

So, no, don't log it. Carrying some laundry to and from your car doesn't burn enough calories to matter.

You can do squats and lunges with the wet laundry.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is this real???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Perhaps, if you were down by the river working the washboard, but no.

You get nothing.

down by the river in a van!!! *said in chris Farley voice* bahahahahahahahaha sorry I could not resist..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    well I guess there is something you could do while it is on spin cycle that would burn some calories....if you catch my drift.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Why have you quoted me?
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    let's say – you don't have a washer that works the dryer yes. so you have to load the basket put it in the car wash the laundry taking 30 minutes by machine come home with fresh washed clothes 10 times heavier in the basket. then dry these clothes with your dryer taking an hour or two plus folding putting them away . How many calories would you say this would be?

home too.

Excellent! With 3 kids I'm always doing laundry. How many extra calories do I get for ironing? :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Not much more than washing your clothes in a washing machine in your home. You put the basket in the car and drove it back and forth. Now if you walked 30 minutes carrying the baskets of laundry the whole way there and back that would be worth figuring out and logging.

When my washer broke down, I washed all our clothes by hand. I still didn't log it even though it was a lot more physical than just putting clothes in the washing machine.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Threads like these remind me why I hate activity trackers so much for giving the wearer the false belief that everything they do is exercise thus dissuading the user from actually exercising.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

home too.

Yes!! I'll have to tell my boyfriend to leave all of the laundry to me! No wonder he's so thin.

I wonder what doing the dishes burns? I'll do those and then eat cake..or does baking cake burn enough calories alone to eat the cake?

If your cake is chocolate, then yes, it burns enough calories to eat the whole thing. Straight up yellow cake is going to need some laundry doing.
  • blktngldhrt
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why have you quoted me?

Because I'm on my phone and accidentally hit the quote link while scrolling. Sorry it was such an inconvenience for you.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Threads like these remind me why I hate activity trackers so much for giving the wearer the false belief that everything they do is exercise thus dissuading the user from actually exercising.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons, I'm wondering if I should buy a Fitbit at all. I'm not sure I want to see myself "burning" more calories than my allowance and end up not exercising. It's taking a lot of willpower to actually tell myself that I should diet for weight loss and exercise for good health.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »

home too.

If your cake is chocolate, then yes, it burns enough calories to eat the whole thing. Straight up yellow cake is going to need some laundry doing.

Chocolate it is!!

..in case anyone actually thinks I'm being serious..im not. At all. I don't eat cake.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I bought a fitbit to just be able to see my calories used each day. On gym days I burn around 1800 and non gym days I burn around 1600. It's really, REALLY helped me understand (even if it's not 100% accurate) a great estimate of what I routinely do.

ps- before the fitbit I was highly over-estimating my work outs calorie wise.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    At least 650.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    About 4 pints of ice cream or a six pack of Old Style.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    that is called "information overload"
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »

Agreed. It's one of the reasons, I'm wondering if I should buy a Fitbit at all. I'm not sure I want to see myself "burning" more calories than my allowance and end up not exercising. It's taking a lot of willpower to actually tell myself that I should diet for weight loss and exercise for good health.

I'm not sure I understand this. As someone who runs 5-7 days a week and lifts 4X's per week, I love my fitbit. Exercising has always been easy, but before I got the tracker, I was pretty sedentary when I wasn't working out. Now, now I take long walks during my lunch hours and after work (in addition to my usual routine) for the extra steps. (I listen to audio books or podcasts). For me, it has been a great motivation to move when I'm not "working out".