Doing the laundry

Options

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    I bought a fitbit to just be able to see my calories used each day. On gym days I burn around 1800 and non gym days I burn around 1600. It's really, REALLY helped me understand (even if it's not 100% accurate) a great estimate of what I routinely do.

ps- before the fitbit I was highly over-estimating my work outs calorie wise.

That's interesting. I do fear that MFP overestimates my calorie burn. If I may ask, which model of the Fitbit do you have?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    Threads like these remind me why I hate activity trackers so much for giving the wearer the false belief that everything they do is exercise thus dissuading the user from actually exercising.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons, I'm wondering if I should buy a Fitbit at all. I'm not sure I want to see myself "burning" more calories than my allowance and end up not exercising. It's taking a lot of willpower to actually tell myself that I should diet for weight loss and exercise for good health.

I think activity trackers are fine in establishing one's TDEE, but like many of the free tools (here, here, here) the burn estimates are all based upon algorithms which isn't very much different from an activity tracker does. I had an used fitbit myself (traded old redundant computer parts for it) broke eight weeks later, but it did give me some insight to just how sedentary I was. I was able to compartmentalize that exercise was exercise, and even if I chased my preschooler around the weekends, those 10,000 steps still did not qualify as exercise (I lift at 6am), but part and parcel of my TDEE.

If you make diet and exercise -- fitness -- a part of lifestyle, then it doesn't take much will power. Its just something you do.

Its like being on autopilot.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Threads like these remind me why I hate activity trackers so much for giving the wearer the false belief that everything they do is exercise thus dissuading the user from actually exercising.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons, I'm wondering if I should buy a Fitbit at all. I'm not sure I want to see myself "burning" more calories than my allowance and end up not exercising. It's taking a lot of willpower to actually tell myself that I should diet for weight loss and exercise for good health.

You can get one and not pay attention to the calorie burn. I, personally, would get one for motivation to move more. Some people are fairly competitive with their 'steps.'
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Agreed. My BodyMedia thinks washing dishes by hand burns as many calories as a 10mile bike ride at 80% max heart rate. Good thing it was a free incentive as part of my wellness program at work. I'm just gonna use it for the 3 months of free online monitoring to get a base line TDEE, figure a 20% margin of error and calculate my "real" TDEE from that.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that takes less than 20 minutes. If you're hauling bags of laundry to your car for 20 consecutive minutes, go for it. Shoveling snow for half an hour? Log it! When I clean, I am a violent blur of activity, and I don't stop moving for a solid hour. It is a work out. I sweat, and I feel exhausted afterword. Not ashamed to say I log it.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I have had the opposite experience. I exercise regularly and discovered when I got a fitbit that I only ever meet my step goal (10k) on days I run. On yoga/elliptical days, I only get 6-8k. So it's encouraged me to just be more generally active. I'm still trying to work up to 10k/day minimum.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

agratzy wrote: »
    I bought a fitbit to just be able to see my calories used each day. On gym days I burn around 1800 and non gym days I burn around 1600. It's really, REALLY helped me understand (even if it's not 100% accurate) a great estimate of what I routinely do.

ps- before the fitbit I was highly over-estimating my work outs calorie wise.

That's interesting. I do fear that MFP overestimates my calorie burn. If I may ask, which model of the Fitbit do you have?

Fitbit one! I love it! It gets me off my butt so I can get more steps and climb more stairs. And on work out days, when I used to log around 300 calories, I see now that the work outs I've been doing only result in around 200 calories burned.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    that is called "information overload"
    And not much of that information is that terribly interesting either. Yay. I walked 10,001 steps. Joy.

However, what I did find interesting, were the device's extrapolations regarding sleep. Before returning to the gym, I had a few years of really bad insomnia so upon learning that for the 5/6 hours for which I am in bed, that half the time was REM, the other half light, sleep -- with very few punctuations of wakefulness -- I found immensely comforting. There was a point in my life that I had anxiety about just trying to fall asleep and stay asleep.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I do over 1000 steps on my Fitbit before 9am just running round after my kids, at home! I sure don't log that as it's part of my everyday life.

So, no, don't log it. Carrying some laundry to and from your car doesn't burn enough calories to matter.

You can do squats and lunges with the wet laundry.

Why have you quoted me?

Why not?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    And not much of that information is that terribly interesting either. Yay. I walked 10,001 steps. Joy.

However, what I did find interesting, were the device's extrapolations regarding sleep. Before returning to the gym, I had a few years of really bad insomnia so upon learning that for the 5/6 hours for which I am in bed, that half the time was REM, the other half light, sleep -- with very few punctuation of wakefulness -- I found immensely comforting. There was a point in my life that I had anxiety about just trying to fall asleep and stay asleep.

What is problematic is that it's data for those who are untrained or unused to using anything quantitative, ever. Because scary.

So they latch onto these questionable data points, thinking they're deriving something valuable from it, and they aren't. They don't know that though, and won't listen to reason about it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    let's say – you don't have a washer that works the dryer yes. so you have to load the basket put it in the car wash the laundry taking 30 minutes by machine come home with fresh washed clothes 10 times heavier in the basket. then dry these clothes with your dryer taking an hour or two plus folding putting them away . How many calories would you say this would be?
    1500, and you should eat them back.

Is that only laundry done at a laundromat or can I burn that much at home, too?
    home too.

It really works out to about 500 calories per basket.

Yes!! I'll have to tell my boyfriend to leave all of the laundry to me! No wonder he's so thin.

I wonder what doing the dishes burns? I'll do those and then eat cake..or does baking cake burn enough calories alone to eat the cake?
    chocolate cake is a negative calorie food.
    Options

However, what I did find interesting, were the device's extrapolations regarding sleep. Before returning to the gym, I had a few years of really bad insomnia so upon learning that for the 5/6 hours for which I am in bed, that half the time was REM, the other half light, sleep -- with very few punctuation of wakefulness -- I found immensely comforting. There was a point in my life that I had anxiety about just trying to fall asleep and stay asleep.

What is problematic is that it's data for those who are untrained or unused to using anything quantitative, ever. Because scary.

So they latch onto these questionable data points, thinking they're deriving something valuable from it, and they aren't. They don't know that though, and won't listen to reason about it.

Which is also why we see full-on freak-out threads of "I weighed myself this afternoon and I am 0.0123586 lbs heavier than this morning weigh-in!"
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    let's say – you don't have a washer that works the dryer yes. so you have to load the basket put it in the car wash the laundry taking 30 minutes by machine come home with fresh washed clothes 10 times heavier in the basket. then dry these clothes with your dryer taking an hour or two plus folding putting them away . How many calories would you say this would be?

I was told there'd be no math
    post-58615-Chevy-Chase-no-math-SNL-gif-Im-IvKX.gif
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't track anything beyond actual exercise. I figure that it's part of my daily routine, not exercise
  • dbmata
    Options

Which is also why we see full-on freak-out threads of "I weighed myself this afternoon and I am 0.0123586 lbs heavier than this morning weigh-in!"
    Yup.

There's a lesson to be had there somewhere.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    to me everything matters... as long as you are not a couch potato and you keep going, then you burn calories.so giddy up,,,, and kick butt.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    to me everything matters... as long as you are not a couch potato and you keep going, then you burn calories.so giddy up,,,, and kick butt.

Kicking butt = 200 calories
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

There is a learning curve for any type of new technology or system. It is only problematic if the user doesn't listen to reason or educate themselves on how to use the technology.

Trackers are tools. Useful for some, not useful for everyone. I personally find the sleep data to be the least interesting aspect. But then again, I know when I have gotten a good nights sleep and don't find that it is something to fret over.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I do over 1000 steps on my Fitbit before 9am just running round after my kids, at home! I sure don't log that as it's part of my everyday life.

So, no, don't log it. Carrying some laundry to and from your car doesn't burn enough calories to matter.

Why have you quoted me?

Why not?

Because what the poster wrote in reply had nothing to do with my post. Sorry, I should've said that.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Why have you quoted me?

Because I'm on my phone and accidentally hit the quote link while scrolling. Sorry it was such an inconvenience for you.

I was just curious as your reply made no sense, that's all. No need to be sarcastic.