Unhappy about Weight Loss (5'7)

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Time to go see a professional. I think your body image issues need to be addressed and I don't think you can do it alone. You are young and you are most definitely not overweight. Before this takes an unhealthy turn into an eating disorder, talk it out with someone who can give you the mental tools to succeed.

This^
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you have Body Dismorphic Disorder, it doesn't matter how much weight you lose ( and you don't need to lose any), you'll never be happy in your body. The issue here is deeper than your appearance. It's time to talk to a professional.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Good Lord, child...have you seen yourself? RELAX.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You definitely seem to be in an unhealthy mental state in regards to your body but having been there myself, I know the feeling.
    Looking back to when I thought I was so gross and fat, I wish I would have picked up heavier weights (at the time I think the heaviest dumbbells I used were 8lbs). Being concerned about numbers makes it difficult to track measurements and weight, because the effect on your mind, but maybe cut back to measuring once a month or so and take before/after pictures. You already have a beautiful shape but I think you'd be pleased with the results of some heavier weight training. Good luck, hun.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I just saw your pictures. You aren't fat. You are tall. You are not even curvaceous. You have some curves, but you're not "curvy". You're THIN. What is your body fat percentage? Your BMI is amazing. Are you trolling Tumblr looking at ****ing thigh gaps and ****? Stop that. Go see a counselor. You hate yourself. It's okay, I mean, there are WHOLE INDUSTRIES DESIGNED TO KEEP WOMEN HATING THEMSELVES. We apparently buy more **** when we're unhappy and think there's a magic fix.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think you are gorgeous, point blank. You are the type of girl my fat *kitten* would see and think, "Damn skinny *****. She probably eats all she wants and doesn't gain an ounce." As for your "esteem," the way you are viewing yourself is clouding what you truly look like. Please remember that you can be beautiful at any size, color, weight, height, hair style, etc.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In all honesty this sounds less like an issue with diet and exercise and more of a problem of self-image and what healthy REALLY is.... no advice here...
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    You really need therapy to address your underlying self-esteem issues, I think. You cannot base your happiness on physical appearances. What will you do after your youthful beauty fades?
  • sockergurl04
    Options
    Focus on what you love about your self. As others are saying...you are a healthy height/weight.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Here's something to keep in perspective. I had a really bad day in early 2012 where I cried for like 2 hours because I was so frustrated with my weight (I was in the middle of losing baby weight from my pregnancy in 2011). My husband was absolutely disgusted with me. I started carrying around a picture of a random person in a wheelchair, to remind myself that my weight was something I could change, and even if I couldn't, having a potbelly and back fat isn't the worst fate in the world. You should appreciate your body not just for how it looks, but for all the things it enables you to do.

I think this is great advice. When I'm feeling down about something and start with the negative thoughts, I try to remember how it would sound to someone in a far worse situation than mine. How selfish I would sound, etc. And then try to remind myself I have it pretty damn good, large thighs and all.

To the OP, I know it's hard to see the good in ourselves and not compare to others (especially those in the media), especially when we're young. I highly recommend trying out a sport/hobby where your body isn't just a pretty vessle and you work out to make it prettier, but it's a functioning vessel, it does stuff, it gets stronger, it allows you to go farther, climb higher, etc. Not that our bodies aren't always functioning vessels, but having the strength to do an aerial invert, or climb a rock wall, or perform a hand stand... reminds us that our bodies *do* things, they aren't just there to look at. Looking good is just a side benefit.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    IMG_7573.JPG
    image.jpg
    IMG_7629.JPG
    I'd much rather have a frame like this young lady, though I am not sure who she is, her body is much better than mine. I'd wish I'd have hers. As pathetic as I feel saying that, I must be honest.

These are photos from August and September. I was very happy around here, in general, because I just came back from a long stay overseas. But this was my body then. I can cry looking at this.
    image201209100011.jpg
    f22c4417-249a-4769-ad82-3fbb9b987a90.jpg
    5421b63e-92dc-4c05-a788-58fa5c1ce75b.jpg

I honestly am at a point where I don't know what to do. I know I can't give up but I just feel I will never get there, to where I will be beautiful, to where my body won't atrocitize me. I feel repulsed looking at many photos of myself, and I hate getting into this spiral. It was just a few months ago I was feeling positive about my weight loss and my fitness/health journey, now I am back to feeling helplessly hideous in this skin, this face, and this body. I am trying to get better.

I think life should be a pleasurable experience these things do not matter, health is in the mind and soul-not just physical. However, at this point, i just feel very sad, and unimpressive. I don't know what to do, I exercise, I eat well, though both could always be improved-and nothing happens. I just cannot help but to break down and cry or feel anger within me for having to be stuck in this flesh. However, when I say these things I wince at the same time because I am just wanting to be loved by myself, and I see a very sad girl when I look at myself but yet one who is happy and has potential. I see both, but I see the sadness first because that's something that over-shines everything else.

You need to let go of the person in these pictures! Get rid of them. Get rid of those clothes. Get rid of anything that reminds you of that person. You have obviously come a long way and you look awesome! You have to look at yourself and how far you have come and be proud of what you have accomplished! I would be! I know this is easier said than done, so I do agree with the others who mentioned counseling/therapy. It is not your weight you have to focus on right now it is your body image and lack of self worth. I also agree that it is the media messing with our minds and our perspective of what beautiful should be. Sure, that woman's body is beautiful, but that body type doesnt define beautiful. It took me a while to come to that conclusion myself. Focus on weight training and toning up your body to look like that, but in the meantime, try to embrace the body you have. Just because you don't look like that model, does not mean you are fat! I hope you take some of this advice and get through this :flowerforyou:
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think that almost everyone has a fold in their stomach when they sit or bend over, that is not the same as having fat rolls. I have seen Jillian Michaels' stomach fold a bit when she bends in her videos, and I don't think anyone would call her fat. I am also 5'7 and 125ish, I was at the dr yesterday and she told me do not go any lower with weight! In fact, I could go up into the 140s and still be all good. So you are there girl! Not fat! Repeat: NOT fat!

Just in case you missed it: not fat!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    www.godtube.com/watch/?v=DPGYD7NX
  • Fugeela
    Fugeela Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm just truthfully very tired of feeling and being this way. I hate this because it makes me feel pathetic. I hate that I hate what I see. I want help but I feel helpless and bopeless the more I see my body and this size and this flab of rolls and excess weight and see my face reality hits that I will always be ugly and unimportant. I feel if I were smaller and had a nicer body at times, I wouldn't let this rule my life. I also have to deal with my face. Which is hard in itself. I really appreciate the help. And words. I just want to know if what I'm aspiring towards is even attainable. When people call me little or normal or beautiful it upsets me somewhere inside because I am not. I've been crying all night and unmistakedly upset at my life and the way in which I feel about myself. It doesn't help that most people around me seem not to understand. And always say facetious things instead of honest caring things which ultimately makes it seem as if I say this for a reaction. Quite honestly none of them know how it feels to want to look better and feel trapped, but more importantly wanting to feel better about life. Right now I'm constantly feeling unwanted and undesired and simply not good enough, not even for friends. When I realize my friends spend time bonding without me all while declining me for no reason other than having no desire to include me or even miss me, it all comes back to me feeling horribly. I want to be a normal young person who lives their one life and chooses to be happy not worry about this. But as long as I look this way, I feel like a failure, an when I felt hat way, I feel helpless. I want to like my body an my face and mostly who i am inside. i hate that going outdoors an having clothes shopping be a provlem. i hate that nothing looks good on me and i jut look risiculous in everything. thats why i dont shop sadly. i hate that my bloody legs are rolling down a river and so is the rest of the excess fat and rolls. i dislike that i have a waistlie this size, i dislike that i have masculine features as my legs and ahoulders, as i Already feel horrible about it and cant change it. id eather have a womanly figure which is soft and not so project. id rather have this ladies body. i hate that when i run i cannot always keep up, i hate that i seem to get no better at fitness. i woke up upset because I hate that my body is still this way. I'd rather it look better. I'd ether also be fitter. I won't lie and say I didn't just wish I looked like the girl in the photo I posted because she probably gets treated better and also by default I'm sure people are much nicer to her, she also probably isn't as vain as me because she's not worried with how she looks because as shown she is naturally beautiful and probably has a nice personality. At this point, I am not tired of being a personality, but tired of just only being an incomplete package. I've never even had a man interested in me, which is a blessing and a curse at this age. Where I've been in a situation where I connect on a personal level with one, and we bond well, but I'm not his type physically, I was a bit heavier and I knew if I looked like su the model posted, It would be different. Then he goes for women who look like the model in the picture, with a great personality in some ways identical to mine, and they're the full package. It bothers me I will never be a full package. I just really am fed up with my life, the people in it, and the way in which I feel. I need to get better. I need to feel better. I want to look better- but I think I'm stick with this body. I'm already stuck with my face which isn't as beautiful as anyone else's but I believe it's all about the inside. Hence why I'm not sure why I let this hurt me. I just believe many have it easier and get treated better if they look a certain way. It kills me inside that I internalize such nonsense. I treat people based on their character and regardless of the goodness of it, I treat them with love. Everyone, I do my best. Everyone is worthy innately of good. I just want to lose weight and look like that girl. I hate being "ugly" and I hate being this weight and in this body full of horrible. I am grateful to be alive but am hurting very much. I just want to know why I can't look like that it have a body or skin like that, little things. Because when people tell me I look fine I just feel like disappearing because its not true. I want help and have spoke about this before to a counselor in school, at a point, but it would only anger me and help temporarily at the times if it did.

I hate that no one listens an I also hurt when people think its attention seeking. I've felt this way since youth. I've had an older sister who looks like this model, and was thin and default she got treated better. Within my friends, I've seen them get treated better. I don't want to be treated better, I just want to be loved by myself and not be so hard on myself because I'm human and not a monster though I feel like one. I just can't help but to cry and feel the need to be sedated as I feel unimportant in many ways an these issues with my image and who I am doesn't help.
  • Fugeela
    Fugeela Posts: 96
    Options
    I feel like I just want to disappear, I hate feeling this way. I'm so very restless, I will try my best to respond to everyone individually when I am able, I'm sorry I haven't been. But I know this is all a bit long to read so I appreciate the insight regardless. It's much better than me being alone having no answers or no one to open up to without being attacked.
  • SRECNAZVEZDA
    Options
    Hi,

why are you so depressed. Because of weight loss? It doesn't worth.
    Try to eat healthier, every meal a half of portion and use some of those supplements: http://newslimmingstore.com/

Good luck.
  • ocsoanita
    ocsoanita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First of all I must say I really understand your problem, I have gone through something similar your age. I wasn't able to love my body even though it was as perfect as yours. As you can clearly see it has nothing to do with real weight - only with our unbelievably low self-esteem.

At the age of 20, weighing about 130 lb to 5'5" height, I felt I was too fat for wearing jeans or bikini for example. Now almost 30 years older, 2 size bigger I really love my body but I needed this decades, going through a lot of nice experiments connected to my body (from having a loving man who is delighted with my body through giving birth and feeding 3 kids to being able to maintain and shape my body through healthy eating and exercising).

I could change my self image but it was really a hard work, took a lot of consciousness and mental work. I could get a lot of help from my hubbie, my kids and my friends but I had to change it myself. Now I'm sure it could be so much easier with professional help... and shouldn't take decades from my life. I am really sorry for my young years which I had spent in total self-assesment disorder . Instead of appreciating and loving my young , beautiful and healthy body I had only negative thoughts of it all the time... I feel my younger years wasted in this regard.

So the best advice is what everyone is telling you - take a professional help! The sooner the better ! I really feel with you and if I can give you any support or help just let me know! Add me as a friend if you'd like to... and cheer up, it's getting better if you're working on it!:flowerforyou:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We as women are taught to never be happy with our bodies. With your background...this problem has been multiplied. I agree with those who are recommending some counseling...since I know no amount of words here will really make a difference in your core feelings. I do understand how you feel...Ive struggled with it to some degree all my life. Its hard not to when we are presented every day in the media with evidence of our unworthiness. But...and believe this...we are worthy of happiness and love. We are beautiful even with our softness and not looking like a Victoria's Secret model (and they don't really look like that all the time either) What you are seeing as your ugly body...is beautiful. Its you...how could it not be beautiful?
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with alot of people on here. You should really consider talking to a professional on the emotional side of it. This is very heart breaking to see someone feel like this. I mean I will admit that I used to weigh 15lbs @ my 5'7 height and was not happy with how I looked but now that I have gained so much weight and weigh over 200lbs I am wishing I was back at 150lbs.

You do not need to lose any weight, toning is fine, but seriously consider talking with someone so you can start feeling better about yourself!

I wish you luck girly!
  • andreavrmln
    andreavrmln Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ain't that the truth. I had never realized what a cute body I had at 20. Three pregnancies, 24 years, and 55 lbs later, I wish I had enjoyed that body more.